Rich Hall and American Indians

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Because Columbus sailed west and was pi$$ed that he didn't get to India so he called the locals "Indians."
Next, the illegal immigrant caucasians decided that they would steal all the land and kill all the locals with either bullets or smallpox.
"First Nations" is a fairly modern term, don't know who thought it up.
However, it does reveal that they (FN) were no more than earlier arrivals
in the Americas having sat on their butts in Beringia for 10,000 years until the ice melted.
Recent evidence show that the first bunch might have got here 30,000 yrs ago, 10K earlier than thought.

My native carver aquaintences prefer to be identified by culture = Haida, Cree, Dene, Tlingit, Timshian, Kwakwaka'Wakw and so on.

You all in the UK and Europe have had a progression of development from the Neolithic through phases of metals.
Not so in the Americas. Essentially Neolithic then WHAM! straight into the Iron Age with ceramics and different people as well.

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Just thought I'd share this one ...
Not sure if I had already, but there you are anyways....

0d45f7ca0bcd92647aa4e007a34904ef.jpg

Can anyone guess what's going on here?👇

92cdede245da7e69de7ec57686fa22b9.jpg

boatman

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 20, 2007
Cornwall
Occurs that if the Indians had not accepted that first steel axe in trade or developed their own manufactures then their future might have been very different. Dependent on the supply of everything like this from the incomers they were doomed. But, then there never was a happy clappy life before the arrivals, was it the Arrawaks or the Caribs that were cannibals? Has anyone read how Pawnee prisoners were treated by Lakota Sioux?

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
Just thought I'd share this one ...
Not sure if I had already, but there you are anyways....

0d45f7ca0bcd92647aa4e007a34904ef.jpg

Can anyone guess what's going on here?👇

92cdede245da7e69de7ec57686fa22b9.jpg
Is it a marriage between one man and two sisters or something? Pure guessage 😏

Sent from my LG-H818 using Tapatalk

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Is it a marriage between one man and two sisters or something? Pure guessage 😏

Hahahah... Nope. No incestuous shenanigans.

I'll drop a clue...
Why are they covering their faces?

😁

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
Hahahah... Nope. No incestuous shenanigans.

I'll drop a clue...
Why are they covering their faces?

😁
It must be a sacred ceremony of some kind because of the two feathers... Not sure why they're covering their faces...

ps hehehe... i wasn't suggesting any kind of incestuous shenanigans 😯 I'm sure he'd have been the perfect gent and taken them in turn rather than at the same time... Not my cup of tea, but I'm pretty sure they sometimes took wives who were also sisters... Not his sisters but sisters to each other?

So, it's some kind of sacred ceremony... Erm... I'll think on it some more...

LadySmyth

Tenderfoot
Jan 6, 2017
UK
Thinking on it, i think I'm right in remembering that they thought to photograph their faces was not a good thing... Made their souls vulnerable to soul-stealing? Am i getting close?

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thinking on it, i think I'm right in remembering that they thought to photograph their faces was not a good thing... Made their souls vulnerable to soul-stealing? Am i getting close?

Spot on. 👍😁
They feared that photographers would steal their souls to put it on paper ... , despite many of their fellows having had them taken and nothing bad happening , they still took appropriate measures to defend themselves from the evil cameras...😁

👍

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
watch the video below, a shocking history lesson.

it seems to me the native americans worshiped the land for providing for life, while the incomers worshiped the money that could be gained from the lands resources, that is why i have always considered the wearing of things like gold and jewels as obscene.

[video=youtube;8tEuaj4h8dw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8tEuaj4h8dw[/video]

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Joosy,

Native American Turquoise. Inca and Aztec gold. Cherokee bead work.

Just remember that there were many tribes of Native Americans, many dug up precious materials and made jewelry from them. I would wager that every culture on earth has made jewelry from the prettiest and rarest things that they can get their hands on. The more settled the society, the more capable they are at finding such things and having people specialize in working them.

Joonsy

Native
Jul 24, 2008
UK
Joosy,

Native American Turquoise. Inca and Aztec gold. Cherokee bead work.

Just remember that there were many tribes of Native Americans, many dug up precious materials and made jewelry from them. I would wager that every culture on earth has made jewelry from the prettiest and rarest things that they can get their hands on. The more settled the society, the more capable they are at finding such things and having people specialize in working them.

yes, though what i really meant (not well explained admittedly) is the deceiving and robbing people of their land in order to exploit that land for greed for themselves with no benefit going to those cheated out of it. It is one thing taking from your own land but quite another taking from someones else's. The Black hills is a good example all the incomers cared about is getting their hands on the gold so they could prosper at the expense of those cheated out of it. Our ''settled'' society is very skilled at exploiting others.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Nope. Dont buy it.

the Aztecs and the Incas were certinly interested in others land and resources, and each and every tribe made sure to take others land if they so desired to.

I dont think we start wars just for sacrificial victims these days.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
Sacrifical victims (aka slaves) were a display of wealth in the Pacific Northwest which is rarely written about any more.
Read the original texts by Franz Boas. He's rarely quoted for some things which I will let you discover for yourselves.

Maybe you don't want to call it a war but a couple of PacNW peoples traded and raided for slaves as far south as Oregon.
That's a thousand miles on way in sea faring 40' - 60' cedar boats.

Copper metal here exists in various sized pieces from pea size to the grand lumps on Isle Royale.
Here, it symbolized wealth and prosperity (eg breast plates) and is stiil used as inlay in wood carvings for that.

The isotopic composition of copper, obsidian volcanic glass and pipestone has revealed a spider's web of trade routes from
the Arctic to the Gulf of Mexico. People were walking all over the place. No horses until after the Spanish arrived early 1500's.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE