Rex

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
I took Marley (my husky lab retreiver cross) out today for his normal morning walk. at one point we passed a little collie pup that was sitting looking back along the path as if he was looking for his owner. I thought nothing of it so walked on. When I came back the same way 20 minutes later the collie was still sitting in the same place. That was when I noticed he was tied to the fence. The poor wee thing had been abandoned and left tied there in the sleet and rain. There was no way that I could leave him there so I took him home with me. I checked him over and he seemed to be reasonably well kept, well behaved and house trained. no obvious signs of ill health and no fleas. Within an hour (while we waited on the dog warden) I had him and Marley sitting together quite happily. Which, when you consider Marley is only about 11 months and Rex (that's what we decided the collie was called) was only about 7 or 8 months, was pretty good going for two Pups that live together never mind two that have only known one another for an hour. Some pictures, sorry about the quality.

Rex
rex1.jpg

Rex and Marley
RexnMarley.jpg

Puppy dog eyes
rex3.jpg

When the dog warden turned up he said they got the report about. The original report was at 9:00 and I took him home about 10:15, so he was out there for at least an hour and a quarter. The most angering thing is that the place where Rex was tied up was near a school and the lane is used by parents walking their kids to school and back. God knows how many people must have walked past Rex on the way to the school and back again and not done anything to help a pup left tied to a fence soaking wet in freezing rain and sleet. I just can't understand how anyone could walk past.

Sorry, bit of a rant there, but it really annoyed me. Luckily, the up shot of it is the dog warden reckons that because of his nature and training he should be rehomed really quickly. I must admit that if the warden had been 10 minutes longer arriving, we might well have just told him not to bother and kept him ourselves becaused we were starting to fall in love with him hence naming him, and did seem to respond to it.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
What a great post and good on you Robby, it makes you think how somebody can just leave them like they do. We rehomed an Alsatian pup once as he`d been tied up outside the office where I worked in the centre of Leeds. A young family came for him after a couple of weeks as we`d advertised him in the local vets, he was destined for a happy life in the Scottish highlands somewhere, I often think about what he`s up to these days.

wasteoid

Forager
Jan 6, 2006
uxbridge
Mate,

That makes me sick as a parrot. Rex looks like he will make someone a fine companion and collies are fantasticly intelligent. I long to have dogs again, but with my working life meaning I am out for up to 12 hours a day its just not fair to a pup. (I hated not having them around after my two passed on).

I hope to hell he finds a loving familly which can give him the home he deserves, and the love he needs.

And I hope the person who dumped him lives to regret it.

My rant over. You're a star for taking him in, and doing the right thing.

Chris (ex dog father and one day will be again)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
No idea how you let the warden take him away hes lovely :eek:

Well done for stepping in..

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
My advice, find out which re-homing centre he's been taken to go there and reserve him.....its fate

The RSPCA would have fewer problems if more people were like you

Robby

Nomad
Jul 22, 2005
Glasgow, Southside
My advice, find out which re-homing centre he's been taken to go there and reserve him.....its fate

The RSPCA would have fewer problems if more people were like you
Thanks for that.

If I thought we could manage I would but I.m waiting on word of a job that would entail me taking on 2 GSD's. Those along with a 1 year old husky/lab and a 10 month old collie might be a bit too much. The house isn't big enough for a start.

arnoldus

Sep 14, 2008
Belgium
Good job!
I don't really know if I would have thought anything special about it if I saw it. Would probably have thought that the owner was getting something inside or so.

(edit: noticed that there was 20 minutes in between, post is obsolete)

sam_acw

Native
Sep 2, 2005
Tyneside
A lot of rescue dogs are collies and collie crosses - they don't always make good pets as they are so intelligent they get bored and then can be destructive.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That's a bonnie looking pup, Rob.
Good on you taking care of things so well :approve:

No, I'm not for having another dog, even though a collie is the only one that would tempt me, and I know HWMBLT would love having it. :sigh:

I really hope he goes to a good home :)

atb,
M

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Thanks for that.

If I thought we could manage I would but I.m waiting on word of a job that would entail me taking on 2 GSD's. Those along with a 1 year old husky/lab and a 10 month old collie might be a bit too much. The house isn't big enough for a start.

If you're going to end up with three dogs you might as well make four its only a 33.3 % increase, rather then adding Rex to Marley which is a 100% canine increase.

When you're out working with the Land Sharks, the boys could keep each other company

You could always move into the shed :eek:

Have I found a good enough excuse yet, like one herself will except? :D

Sounds like an interesting job, I hope that goes well for you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE