Revitalising 3 Kent pattern axes

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've had a number of old axes for some time, all are in a state of decay especially the shafts which are all loose and some even have woodworm.
Pict0066.jpg

Pict0064.jpg

I weighed the heads so I could compare them to other axes I own.
IMG_0088.JPG

IMG_0089.JPG

IMG_0091.JPG

After normalising and hardening in oil I tempered them at 270 Celsius, once by using a heated drift and temperature indicating crayons and once in the oven at gas mark 9. You can see the crayon on the edge in one of the photos below, the crayon wax melts when it reaches its designated temp, I used 2 crayons, 1 rated at 232C and one at 260C.

HT crayons used on the edge.
IMG_0095.JPG

.Drift used to temper axe head
IMG_0097.JPG

.Straw, brown and purple oxide layer left after tempering
IMG_0098.JPG

.Finished axes after tempering, the long shafts are 18" long.
IMG_0103.JPG

IMG_0104.JPG

Oiled heads and shafts
IMG_0105.JPG

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Great pics!!
Why did you have to re-temper them though? Did you re-grind them?
I have a couple that I am planning to restore too.I am looking for some cleft ash for the hafts and am confident about that process but I'm not keen to start heat treatments on them.
Cheers , Simon

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
Interesting I don't understand why they had to be go through the re-tempering process ? But I am a bit dull so am waiting to hear

They look great and I love to see old tools fit for ;and doing the job intended
So Thanks for that Well done

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Why re-harden and temper? Because I don't know the history of the axes, someone may have drawn the temper by over-enthusiastic sharpening with an angle grinder etc.

johnnytheboy

Native
Aug 21, 2007
Falkirk
jokesblogspot.blogspot.com
There is people like me out there in the world, so it wasnt a bad idea!! :-D

Why did you oil the heads? I have a wee rehandling project on the go and did think about the head weather to try a patina or just some thing like the protector gun oil I have!

I think there is juts so much more value in having an old and useable axe like these ones than some new fancy shop bought shiney thing!!

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE