Revenant Ultimate bush craft movie

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Rabid

Nomad
Dec 15, 2014
Sleaford Lincolnshire
Saw it yesterday. Crikey, it was grim. Beautiful, compelling and absorbing, but grim.

Does anyone know why he put moss/lichen in his dead son's mouth?

I believe it has something to do with the believe that the last breath breathed by a person was supposed to become noxious at the time of death and moss was supposed to purify it as it leaves the body.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
I don't know the particular Indian cultural reasons for it; hopefully one of our Indian members can fill us in on it. But a lot of cultures place things in various orifices. Partly it stems from the body breaking down and gases building up and escaping. Sometimes it can also be seen as a " last bite" to sustain the body on its final journey; a lot of northern European hunters, myself included will place a final piece of browse/food into say a deers mouth after it has been killed as a sign of respect for giving its life to sustain us. Sadly it seems to be a practice in decline with many modern cultures.
If you read up on various peoples death rights various charms and coins are placed to aid on the afterlife.

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

rg598

Native
From a bushcraft standpoint, I liked that they showed a realistic way for how he could have made fire. I remember watching Ray Mears talking about Hugh Glass on one of his shows, and explaining how he used his razor, a piece of flint, and the magic of bushcraft to start a fire. I remember wondering how that was possible without him having prepared tinder. The answer given by the movie was...gunpowder, which makes a lot of sense.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
From a bushcraft standpoint, I liked that they showed a realistic way for how he could have made fire. I remember watching Ray Mears talking about Hugh Glass on one of his shows, and explaining how he used his razor, a piece of flint, and the magic of bushcraft to start a fire. I remember wondering how that was possible without him having prepared tinder. The answer given by the movie was...gunpowder, which makes a lot of sense.

In the movie he had what looked like a little steel fork to strike with, it looked quite nice I'd like one of those. :)

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Thats not quite true. The other one joined the military, Hugh couldn't kill him for fear of a hanging...(real life version) so Hugh told him never to leave the military or he would kill him. Never got the chance as Hugh was killed in an Indian attack 10 years or so later. :)

Leo's acting was a bit... well, i dunno. Not what its hyped up to be. Spent most of it not actually talking.... just groaning. If he gets an oscar, its cos they found him a good role where he didn't need to say much...lol :D

One of the 2 that abandoned Hugh Glass was a youngster that gained a legendary status as Jed Bridger. Hugh caught up to both of them and killed the other one and spared young Jed because of his inexperience and youth.

Last edited:

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
I'm rather glad I went to see it with no agenda or interest in its historical accuracy. Enabled me to view it for what it is: Entertainment that happens to take place in the environment I love most.

That said I did let out an audible squeal when what I'm sure was a single shot blackpowder pistol-wielding Good Guy got off two (2) shots without reloading!

K

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Just got back from watching it ... first visit to the Kinema for over a decade - enjoyed it.
Yeah it annoyed me that he had a free shot from his pistol ... but I otherwise quite enjoyed the film, though I thought the landscape was the real star :)

backpacker

Forager
Sep 3, 2010
Eastbourne, East Sussex
I went to see the Revenant on Saturday Night, I enjoyed the film and the survival techniques was pretty good! the scenery was amazing! with what he went through his middle name must have been called 'Lucky' to survive the bear attack is one thing let alone the cold!
But I agree with John Fenna that also annoyed me to having at least 2 shots from his pistol, but that said I would give it 5 Stars.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
I too saw the film and enjoyed it as entertainment. With regard to the pistol incident I assumed he'd pulled a second pistol from under his coat as a black powder/flint lock reload at full gallop was a bit unlikely...Let's face it, wearing that big hairy coat he could have had a belt fed Vickers under it let alone a second pistol....
lol-030.gif

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Plus if you follow the action he only captures one pistol. Multiple shots and more so the foley artists rubbing in weapons cocking/racking overtime someone brandishes them, and the shing & ring of blades every time they're drawn (when was the last time your knife rang when drawn?) annoyes the pants off me. Maybe if the film becomes more popular in the future it'll gain a similar rope to Star Wars "Han shot first!" but instead "Glass shot once!" :rolleyes:

Sent via smoke-signal from a woodland in Scotland.

wicca

Native
Oct 19, 2008
South Coast
But..but..you're ignoring the formula of Movie camera+gunfight = 24x5 second bursts with 30 round magazines from 600RPM weapons ( any Diehard) or hits at 200 metres with a Colt 44/40...from the hip ( Clint Eastwood in Two mules for Sister Sarah)
Applying that formula, two shots from a single barrel Flintlock pistol is more than feasible...
lol-044.gif

I enjoyed the film anyway...had to keep me coat on though..felt chilly just watching it..;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE