Return of the King anyone?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wendi

Jun 2, 2003
Ontario, Canada
You bet!
I have already purchased tickets for opening day!
:-D

I've heard a rumour that there may be a 4th movie made?? Anyone know about that?

boaty

Nomad
Sep 29, 2003
Bradford, W. Yorks
www.comp.brad.ac.uk
Martyn said:
There was a sequel to the trilogy wasn't there? Damn, what was it called? That was it, the Silmarillion. Dunno if that's what you mean?

The Silmarillion was sort of a prequel, commentary and sequel rolled into one - more like an academic history of Tolkein's world than a novel. It's not written in a novelistic style - rather dense and terse. But there are the skeletons of many stories in there that could be brought to life.

Wendi

Jun 2, 2003
Ontario, Canada
I did some searching on the net and all I could find was that Peter Jackson is interested in doing The Hobbit. Nothing is in the works though.

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
I'll be off to see it (and crossing my fingers that Mr Jackson does go ahead with filming "The Hobbit," absolutely my favourite book) despite the fact that the entire last section of the story has been chopped off. Apparently the film ends at the Crack of Doom, missing the entire "Scouring of the Shire." Much as I enjoy the films, that's even worse than not including Tom Bombadil!

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
I'm still waiting to see the second! :roll:

my wife and i have both tried to read the simarillion, and it's not easy, you have to read and understand the special dictionary/index that is in the book otherwise it does not make sense!

we all know that tolkien was pretty particular down to the tiniest details this one takes the biscuit though!

also in the reference section there is a list of pronounciations and and several family trees!

not for the feint hearted! :yikes: :banghead: :-?

good luck to anyone that reads it or tries to convert it to film! :shock:

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
The Hobbit would be a great movie! I'm amazed that didn't shoot this first?
Its got to be alot easier than the lord of the rings.
As for missing out Tom Bombadil, he was my favorite character! So i suppose its the hollywood happy ending, does that mean Bilbo doesn't go off with the elves on the ship?
I am sure the limited edition DVD with eighteen hours of previously unseen remastered editors cut... will include all the bits we decided were lacking.
Still bloody good effort though.
Rich

bigjackbrass

Nomad
Sep 1, 2003
Leeds
Roving Rich said:
So i suppose its the hollywood happy ending, does that mean Bilbo doesn't go off with the elves on the ship?

Well, I wouldn't want to spoil the ending for those who haven't read the books, but as far as I know nothing after the Crack of Doom is included, so no heading off to the Grey Havens or anything like that. Mind you, my favourite detail isn't in the main part of the book anyway: read the appendices and you'll discover what Sam went on to do.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Its a must see I'm afraid so yep got tickets for opening night!

Sadly I also look forward to the DVD extended version being released so I can get in the beer - dis off the phone and watch all three back to back.

Sad I know but what a way to waste a day!

Wendi

Jun 2, 2003
Ontario, Canada
Sounds like a great way to spend a day to me, Gary. I'd join ya!
How about a Lord of the Rings party? :-D

Nothing is a waste of time if you enjoy it!

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
yeh that sounds like a pretty good way to waste a day to me!!
Did anyone else here that thay have compleatly cut Saruman/ christopher lee out of this film!?

also i hard that PJ has expressed an intrest in doing the hobbit but he hasnt even aproached the tolkien estate yet so its still only an idea! would be good though!

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Wow! I managed to get into the staff showing of the Return of the King at my local cinema on Tuesday night and it was excellent. (apart from having to stop half way through as they hadn't stuck it all together yet)

I've never read the books so I don't know how true to the book it was but I was impressed. When I feel that I have the time I'll try sit down with them but I can't see it happening for a while.

My only real gripe is that there's a kid that was used for a Hobbit child in the 1st one that was then used as a Rohan child in the 2nd one and they're now back as a Gondor child AND Hobbit child in this one!
I would have thought they could have got a few more extras. :-D

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Saw it last night too. Amazing! For anyone who hasn't read the book, you really should. Aragorn, known as Strider the Dunedin Ranger in the first book really knows his bushcraft! I reckon anyone who read the book and is now into bushcraft has a secret hankering to be Strider!! : -l)

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
larry the spark said:
I reckon anyone who read the book and is now into bushcraft has a secret hankering to be Strider!!

i reckon you might be right there ;-)
i saw it yesterday too, the film is spectacular no doubt about it, but doesnt really do the books justice, i wonder what ray thinks!!

RAPPLEBY2000

Dec 2, 2003
England
wow!!!!
a friend lent me "twin towers" on DVD which i watched with amazement!

the next day we went with my wife to see "the return of the king!", please do go and see it!

:sword: : -l) :eek:T: :sword: :aargh4: :sword: : -l) :eek:T:
the fight scenes (most of the film) are crazy awesome!! how did they get that many people in one place?

it's pretty obvious just by the scale of stuff that theres alot of computer jiggery pokery going on but where real and fake mix is seamless!

:ekt: :notworthy

you just have to see it to believe it! :biggthump

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE