Rest In Peace Sir.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

moab

Forager
Apr 26, 2007
UK
There are no words that describe the quite sacrifice men like Harry Patch made, a massively thought provoking moment, particularly when we have our lads and lassies dying in a far off land.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
But are you gonna be a highly trained sandbag for our freedom???

Sorry that sounded harsh, I just feel that if you're a good footballer that you get paid thousands, and yet this means nothing to me, our boys and girls and those of other lands like the Gurkha's put ALL on the line, both physically and mentally yet our country doesn't respect them, look at Labour's attempt to get out of paying out to injured service personnel this week. And this directly affects us all as we live in a bad world that has to have folk on the ground protecting our edges. It's not nice that in these times we still need people to do this, but until we grow up as a race and get over our beliefs it has to happen. So sorry £16'000 to do this seems cheap. I had a bunch of lads in the shop today who'd just joined up together in the local regiment buying kit that they desperately needed as we can't afford to give it to them. They joined despite the fact that the news is full of how our troops are getting pelted out there. Not on the scale that Mr. Patch's generation got it I admit, but they still joined up. I'd rather my taxes went to paying for equipment for those lads that to the fat, trough feeding gits who sit in the useless Scottish Parliament carbunkle... waste of money.. :cussing:
Pay the folks a good wage OK
GB

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Not harsh at all in my book!
If MPs did not run up their expenses to the hilt then perhaps there would be more to pay the lads and lasses who face death as a result of the PMs votes!
Trying not to be political or cynical - but I think I may be failing....

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Not harsh at all in my book!
If MPs did not run up their expenses to the hilt then perhaps there would be more to pay the lads and lasses who face death as a result of the PMs votes!
Trying not to be political or cynical - but I think I may be failing....

Thank You John, thought I'd gone off on one as usual...:eek:
GB

Kikatito

Jun 15, 2009
S. Lanarkshire
Sorry that sounded harsh, I just feel that if you're a good footballer that you get paid thousands, and yet this means nothing to me, our boys and girls and those of other lands like the Gurkha's put ALL on the line, both physically and mentally yet our country doesn't respect them, look at Labour's attempt to get out of paying out to injured service personnel this week. And this directly affects us all as we live in a bad world that has to have folk on the ground protecting our edges. It's not nice that in these times we still need people to do this, but until we grow up as a race and get over our beliefs it has to happen. So sorry £16'000 to do this seems cheap. I had a bunch of lads in the shop today who'd just joined up together in the local regiment buying kit that they desperately needed as we can't afford to give it to them. They joined despite the fact that the news is full of how our troops are getting pelted out there. Not on the scale that Mr. Patch's generation got it I admit, but they still joined up. I'd rather my taxes went to paying for equipment for those lads that to the fat, trough feeding gits who sit in the useless Scottish Parliament carbunkle... waste of money.. :cussing:
Pay the folks a good wage OK
GB

I really don't think that's harsh at all, In fact i agree with everything you said.......

16k is around what i earn, i work 36hrs(min) over 4 days. I do not put my life at risk. the most troubling/worrying bit of equipment i use would be a fax machine. The only person i have to "fight" with would be an irate customer and even thats on a phone.
So i agree they should get paid way more for what they do...in fact the starting salary for a police office is more..............
"Range of typical starting salaries: between £21,534 on commencing service and £24,039 on completion of the initial training period (salary data collected March 08)"

my mate is just about to sign up, basically waiting on a start date.. He is looking at the army as a way of giving him the training in IT that he needs and due to a criminal record is basically unemployable by anyone else. Now yeah the army ain't his idea job due to several issues mostly mentioned in these posts. but it sure is providing him with a path to where he want to be.....but a short term one as he does not want to stay in for the above reasons, even thou they wanted him to go in as a officer due to uni education.....

Theres talk of establishing a new bank holiday.

Rumour is it will be to commemorate those who have been killed at work.

Shouldn't we first remember our fallen soldiers with a dedicated bank holiday / memorial day before we commemorate victims of H&S faliures?

I fear that the rememberance day commemorations will start to diminish as the 2 world wars pass from living memory and become confined to the past for ever. Establishing a commemorative day now will help preserve the memory of those who have fallen and continue to fall.

I see a campaign in the making.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Theres talk of establishing a new bank holiday.

Rumour is it will be to commemorate those who have been killed at work.

Shouldn't we first remember our fallen soldiers with a dedicated bank holiday / memorial day before we commemorate victims of H&S faliures?

I fear that the rememberance day commemorations will start to diminish as the 2 world wars pass from living memory and become confined to the past for ever. Establishing a commemorative day now will help preserve the memory of those who have fallen and continue to fall.

I see a campaign in the making.

I'll back you on that. A Bank Holiday for those who spent their lives for us rather than those who just spent our lives. I'll write some letters.

GB

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
...Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If you break the faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
in Flanders Fields.

----- John McCrae, In Flanders Fields (1915)

Well done Sir, Well done.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE