Craft me an Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
This August marks the 30th Anniversary of a very real but little known survival story on Helvellyn in the Lake District. I and a big ginger bloke dragged 4 other ill equipped mates and a surprised French hiker off the hill under overwhelming conditions that were not conducive to life, all of us hypothermic. No Bushcraft involved, just gutted it out kicking, shouting and lying to them that safety was over the next brow or round the next bend. Well the damn fool has been there with me ever since through thick and thin and on nearly every stupid excursion I have embarked upon. There should really be a law against friends like me.

A couple of years ago after a 60 mile hike that destroyed our feet for 12 months he finally handed me his tent, really, truly meaning never again. Even then I managed to get him out under canvas one more time. Hah!

In December 2013 my wife was diagnosed with Cancer he was right there for both of us through a year that wasn't a heap of fun. On June 6th this year I'm walking 20 miles for Breast Cancer Care and bless him of course he's coming, he's bought new boots!

Axes are not for me but best mate was influenced early by Druss the Legend and has had a thing for them ever since. He has a couple of years on me (which I like to remind him) and next February he will be 50 years of age and I have a mind to mark the occasion by having one of the artistic chaps on here make him an axe worthy of the occasion and such ridiculous loyalty.

Drop me a PM if you are interested in such a commission or please feel free to recommend me an axe maker to do this justice.

sunndog

May 23, 2014
derbyshire
Papstomahawks springs to mind. Not only look like good axes but the man has a flair for the artistic too, he could certainly create an axe worthy of any drenai axeman

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Mark I can see where you are going with that but I'm thinking of something that can tip a hat at a Celtic, Nordic tradition but still entice the old boy into wanting to use it the boonies on some damn fool adventure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikehill

Settler
Nov 25, 2014
Warrington
Stephane from Switzerland (Tacol on BB) made me a beautiful axe years ago and I think did damascus too. He's not been on since last year but I will see what I can find ...

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
Cheers for those, I will catch up with Dave at the Moot or Wilderness Gathering.

Not seen Ceggas work. Will have a nose.

Thanks for Stephane's details too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Dave Budd would be my recommendation :)

Angrboda.jpg

Mine too..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE