Reshaping a wool felt hat (pic heavy)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Draven

Native
Jul 8, 2006
Scotland
Howdy folks!
Dad's had this hat for decades, I remember distinctly him wearing it at the airport when we moved over here. Recently he's replaced it with a wider brimmed hat, and it's been a bit neglected - it was supposed to be a "crushable" hat (which, I suppose, it is!) but turns out it doesn't return to shape very well. Since it was wool felt, he said I could have a shot at reshaping it to give it a new lease of life.

WARNING: I imagine that this could mess up a hat quite well, and probably shrink it. Look for advice from someone who's done it more than once!

The tools I used was an electric kettle, since it made more steam than boiling a pot of water and did it faster. Keep an eye on the level, as I used about 1.5l of water doing this. I also used this little globe:

fedora002.jpg

And a tablespoon.

First step was to pop out all the dents:

fedora001.jpg

And get the kettle goin:

fedora003.jpg

It becomes really pliable after this, but you have to work fast before it cools and dries.

fedora004.jpg

I put it over the globe and then smoothed it out by hand. It would've been easier if the globe came off the stand, as it could stretch grooves and dents into the felt.

fedora005.jpg

The shape at the front of the hat was a bit of a PITA to get rid of but it's not that important. It was stretched into this shape so getting it out completely just ain't worth the hassle.

fedora006.jpg

I stopped here.

Next came the top crease. I just did this by hand, there wasn't really anything else for it. Some of the classic western styles look like they could be done with a pipe though.

fedora008.jpg

It's a bit bumpy here, but it's easy enough to smooth out with another steaming. Make sure you keep it in the center and the sides are an even height, most hats have a bow at the back of the sweatband you can line it up with. If not they'll usually have a seam in the sweatband anyway.

fedora007.jpg

Smoothed out

Then come the side creases:
fedora009.jpg

One done...
fedora010.jpg

Two done. These were started by hand and then smoothed out with the tablespoon.

The hat still ain't perfect, but it's better. A lot of the uneven bits at the back of the crown are down to being stretched, and they were a pain to get rid of. Some will get better with use, others just add character!

Hope it's useful to someone!

Pete

phill_ue

Banned
Jan 4, 2010
Sheffield
I had to do this with a felt hat I have after the missus put it away where I had put it to dry naturally. Obviously, she cammed it into a bag so it was a right mess after it dried up! I completely soaked it and laid it flay so that the brim was flat, and then re-dampened to shape the hat. I did the brim and crown as you have, but I used a balloon as I could blow it up to fit the hat exactly.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE