Rescued Squirrel

Silverback

Sep 29, 2006
England
I'm in the 'smack it over the head and eat it' camp.

Just a warning but when the tails look that bushy, squirrels are normally in a state of heightened excitement and will sink their grotty little orange gnashers into anything close at hand - your ear for instance :D

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I didn't know it was illegal to release squirrels etc. When I had a mouse problem in my
kitchen I bought live traps (never caught one) and fully intended to take the captured
mice to a park not that far from me and let them out in the undergrowth; this is what the
people in the shop recommended.

It seems odd that it would be illegal, after all they've presumably come from the wild in
the first place, along with the wee squirrel discussed here. Surely it's more a matter of
relocation rather than 'introducing' a shiny new wild animal?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Jodie,

The point is that the American Greys are destroying native wildlife through competition and disease. Once caught they should not be released to continue this but despatched. Its another one of those areas where wildlife management cannot be cuddly but needs to be done firmly and humanely but, ultimately, involves killing - rather like deer culling etc.

Red

swyn

Life Member
Nov 24, 2004
Eastwards!
I did start to write a long story on a grey but it became too complicated so will just leave my warning.... 5orry!

Please beware that Mr Cyril can only count to two. After that he goes into attack mode. This is not good for children specially or un suspecting adults. The final goal is usually the face! Remember this if you have visitors. There is a point when he becomes sexually mature and this is when the change from fluffy playful creature turns to agressive adult behaviour.

Swyn.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Hi all,
thanks for the thoughts and comments, well weve come to a decision about what will happen too him.
This being an open site tho I wont tell im afraid :tongue-ti , and I learnt alot about squirell cookery :D,
cheers

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
It seems odd that it would be illegal, after all they've presumably come from the wild in
the first place, along with the wee squirrel discussed here. Surely it's more a matter of
relocation rather than 'introducing' a shiny new wild animal?[/QUOTE]

Yes they do come from the wilds jodie the wilds of America they have all but wiped out out native species of red, they also raid song birds nests and are very aggressive Hence the reason they are on the vermin control list and can be killed at any time of the year which I do and and eat they taste great its their only redeeming quality

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
I think I'll go and get me shooting clobber on! Always time to cull the greys a little more! I still haven't eaten mine yet, they are in the freezer waiting for the right opportunity!

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I'm in the 'smack it over the head and eat it' camp.

Just a warning but when the tails look that bushy, squirrels are normally in a state of heightened excitement and will sink their grotty little orange gnashers into anything close at hand - your ear for instance :D

Never mess with a dray of hungry squirrels is my advice
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4489792.stm

I must admit that I've never quite viewed greys in the same light since having bunch of them try to mug me, in a London park, for my cheeses sandwiches one frozen Winter day some years back. I managed to keep the sandwiches but lost a chunck out of one of my boots, rather glad I managed to brush the 2 off that had climbed my legs.

Mind you it must have looked rather comical for any onlookers 20 seconds later as I made a dash for it with 30-40 squirrels following.

woodstock

Apr 7, 2007
off grid somewhere else
Never mess with a dray of hungry squirrels is my advice
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4489792.stm

I must admit that I've never quite viewed greys in the same light since having bunch of them try to mug me, in a London park, for my cheeses sandwiches one frozen Winter day some years back. I managed to keep the sandwiches but lost a chunck out of one of my boots, rather glad I managed to brush the 2 off that had climbed my legs.

Mind you it must have looked rather comical for any onlookers 20 seconds later as I made a dash for it with 30-40 squirrels following.

I heard that some squirrels in a London park had been licking used bags of crack and were attacking people ......God I hope they don't get access to weapons

Burnt Ash

Nomad
Sep 24, 2003
East Sussex
they taste great its their only redeeming quality

Not their only redeeming quality: the body fur and tail hair (dyed or natural) are excellent for fly tying. Lures made from recycled squirrels have caught me a great many trout and sea trout, not to mention a few salmon.

Burnt Ash

ganstey

Settler
Article in the current (Autumn 2007) issue of Smallwoods, the Small Woods Association magazine (all typos are mine :eek: ):

Grey release hit

Plan to release injured squirrels is condemned

A proposal by Natural England to re-release grey squirrels into the wild has been condemned as a 'conservation disaster' by the European Squirrel Initiative (ESI). Natural Engalnd have said that they will grant licences for the rehabilitation of grey squirrels, despite the mammal being on the World Conservation Union's (IUCN) list of the 100 worst alien species.

"Grey squirrels not only spread desease," said Miles Barnes, Chairman of ESI, "but also devastate our trees and parks. It sends the wrong signals to the public and all those concerned with our natural diversity."

Charles Wilson at Natural England has tried to explain the situation by saying that this is an attempt to combat the widespread, and illegal, re-releasing of trapped or injured squirrels by the public. Natural England is hoping that by licencing a few rescue centres, they will themselves encourage the public not to release squirrels. Natural England's preferred position is not to issue licenses, but they claim to be searching for a pragmatic solution. "There is an argument for a blanket no," Charles Wilson told Smallwoods. "This has already raised awareness with people who thought that when they trap a squirrel they can just release it down the local park."

Meanwhile, scientists at Forest Research and other laboratories are working to produce an oral contraceptive vaccine to control grey squirrel populations. It works by inhibiting key sex hormones in males and females, rendering them infertile, and has already been successful in a number of species in the USA. But because the vaccine isn't species specific, research has to be conducted to find the best means of bating.

G

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE