Rescued Fallow Fawn...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Got a call from a local farmer today, a fallow deer was hooked up in a fence with a broken leg and in a distressed state, so she was dispatched and then we realised she had a fawn, who is now in the safe hands of Alison's brother (who is an expert) to be hand reared, she is approx 10 days old, and yes if she survives the trauma of the next 24 hours , she will be tagged.

Ivan...

IMG_1531.jpg Deer Pics 005.jpg

Deer Pics 010.jpg Deer Pics 012.jpg

Deer Pics 021.jpg

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
First try and keep the bottle up higher this imitates the natural feeding habits and you will find as the throat is more open it will take its feed quicker and I'm sure your noticing they get board and it gets difficult to feed them the right amount
I presume your using goats milk or substitute just a few tips put 1/2 tablespoons of natural yogurt in the feed a couple times a day it will help keep the stomach settled there are prone to getting dioriah and it kills them pretty quick
And if it goes off eating try adding a pulped banana to the feed they love the sweet taste it's worth doing as a treat every so often just to mix it up as they say
It looks 10-12 days old so 6 feeds every 24 hours so no sleep for your brother

Anyway envious you will get a lot back from the effort and you look like such a proud father

Hope the next 24 hrs go ok let us know

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Thanks Mouse, yeah she is so cute it's unbelievable, bro in law knows his stuff, the pic of me feeding was the very first go! Will offer your advice to him as nobody knows it all, not so sure about all that rubbing their back bits! at the same time as feeding, to promote pooh and wee! But dedication is a wonderful thing, he is sleeping with her tonight, and a more dedicated and passionate man, you would not find! ooh! Sounds a bit dodgy that!

The phone call to his wife at work, to explain was interesting! But she has been there before, many times.

Thanks for your input.

Regards.

Ivan...

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Been in the same situation before several times I'm sure the wife gives me grief just because its a reason to but secretly enjoys the break from
I must have a recognisable tone as she just looks and says what is it this time ,at that point she gives in and I end up decorating some random area of the house as payback

And as a wise man once drummed into me " we can learn something from every single person we meet if we let ourselves listen and it's a deluded man who knows it all "

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Awwwwwwwwwwww little bambi type thing:) What kind of milk is that you're giving it?

Hi Niels, we managed to get some "Lamblac" and only finest hay for bedding, as straw is no good because they eat it! The internet is a wonderful thing at times.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
I love venison, and Alison's brother has not bought meat for years, as he does that dispach thing for a living, just last week he had to deal with a bullock with a broken jaw, and i got fed up with"Fillet steak again tonight" etc etc.

He has a pet crow, and goes out killing them!

Don't know how he lives with himself!

Anyway, in answer to your very valid question, i hope it does not get moved, but if it does, i will tell you just how good she tasted!

I can't believe i just posted that last bit, after todays rescue, money spent, effort and cuddles.

Ivan...

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Just in case there is any doubt, that this thread will be moved to Lovely Grub, here are a few more pics of dinner!

Ivan...

Deer Pics 001.jpg Deer Pics 004.jpg Deer Pics 007.jpg

Deer Pics 013.jpg Deer Pics 022.jpg

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
I've reared , rescued and loved many animals but the circle of life is as is

I live with myself knowing anything I kill either wild or reared will undoubtedly of had a much better life than anything sold at tesco

Hmm a pet crow now that's got me thinking ps does he wear a long coat and have a long beard and a staff

Also from the look of things it was good you stopped taking pics I bet your other half's space in bed is taken when she looks you big softy

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
They are stunning. I was sat in a truck with two much more avid stalkers than me, in Scotland, about three weeks ago, and we sat for ten minutes, watching a fawn play around mum as we all went 'Aaaahhhhh'.

I am interested to see how this turns out, will it stay and interact or will it be able to go wild successfully? I for one would never shoot a tagged one unless it was a welfare issue.

I have subscribed to this thread.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
ivan you old softy you if you have it with you to long it will start laughing at your jokes regards dave

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Hi Mouse, absolutely fine, she had a feed at 3.00am! Then a walk around the garden at about 7.00am and a pick of grass, Jason has been up to the land today to get some clover and other wild flowers, once you have been in the shed with her she calms almost immediately, doesn't seem bothered by the dogs, chickens or the radio!

Will get some more pics in the week, as i have had my own pets to entertain today, a good old walk in the Great Plantation.

Ivan...
Bit more, she follows Jason around like a dog, he has loads of potted trees, ready for replanting, so he put a few of those in with her, she is pulling the grass and weeds from around the base of the trees, eating the roots and leaving the tasty bit! It's apparently where they get their minerals from, also she only takes about 25ml before boredom sets in, so little and often seems to be the way to go, also her stools are a cross between sloppy and traditional pellet form, so she may be 2 weeks old.

Last edited:

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Dougster, she will not be released, as where Jason operates and has land is rife with poachers, some with dogs, and as you know they don't give a monkeys about tagging etc.

Ivan...

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Great stuff Ivan. :) REALLY pleased to read this thread mate..... i truly hope the fawn does ok and respect to you guys for putting the effort in. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE