renovating old axes - advice on handles please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
I've picked up a few old axes on car boot sales. All need new handles/hafts. I don't want to spend a fortune on the hafts and I've seen Faithful hickory ones for sale at reasonable prices. Firstly are Faithful any good? Secondly I have two big felling axe heads, one being a 6.5lb Elwell and the other a True Temper USA about 5lb. As the Elwell seems to fetch good prices does it deserve a better quality haft then a Faithful? I'll probably sell it on when it's finished. Lastly the Elwell has a 30" haft at the moment (full of woodworm) - would a 36" haft be better? Thanks

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
Can not help with the size of the shaft that you need but I can say that Faithfull products are good. I believe that they are still a UK company. But most of there product are now made outside the UK. they have been going for many years.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
As for handles, grain alignment, finish and eye fit are much more important than brand. By far the best choice is to find a local hardware store, take the head with you and pick over their stock of handles to get one with good grain alignment and fractionally oversized.

36" is a good length for a full sized axe.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Ta tried both my hardware stores and they are to order only and expensive. Not sure yet if its a Kelly. Got to derust it still.

As for handles, grain alignment, finish and eye fit are much more important than brand. By far the best choice is to find a local hardware store, take the head with you and pick over their stock of handles to get one with good grain alignment and fractionally oversized.

36" is a good length for a full sized axe.

smojo

Forager
Jan 19, 2014
West Yorkshire
Got a small Kent pattern one called The Midget. Just finished derusting by sanding then soaking in white vinegar. Wow it really works well. It's looking great. I can see it was hand forged as the cheeks are quite uneven. Loving it already.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE