Removing pine resin

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Turpentine or turps substitute, or white spirit, closely followed by WD40 are the things I reach for, but you'll have to check its OK to use on the clothes & tarps.

ATB

Ogri the trog

stuey

Sep 13, 2011
High Peak
www.arb-tek.co.uk
Pine Tar soap works a treat on hands but as for fabric etc I'm not entirely sure...
Seriously hot water and washing up liquid used to work reasonably ok on Arb Climbing kit that had been used for limbing up grand firs in plantations.... The ones with big juicy sap blisters that leave you soaked in resin! :D

Sent from my BlackBerry 9700 using Tapatalk

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Meths or rubbing alcohol(isopropyl) is the best, removes it in seconds and dries quickly, leaving no mark or damage.

Works well in the field too as lots of us have meths anywway. I use it at work all the time for removing sap marks from wood.

White spririt permanently damages some plastics and wont remove sap well, stinks for ages too.

Heard lots of good things about using mayonaisse too, cant see the point though when meths does it instantly and without washing.

bigroomboy

Nomad
Jan 24, 2010
West Midlands
Yep as above, alcohol is by far the best way to go. Ethanol is best being much less toxic than methanol. Alcohol hand rub works great ive used it to get it off my tent a few times but any alcoholw ill do. I would avoid white spirit etc for reasons of smell and possible damage to stuff.

Alex

WolfGang

Aug 25, 2009
New Zealand
On clothes you also try the iron with a rag between it and the clothes in question - it melts the stuff from the cloths to the rag

(this has worked for wax - so why not resin?)

drphoto

Aug 4, 2011
france
other than the liquids mentioned above, lighter fluid(napther) being my favourite, my wife tried babywipes when she got mastic on her hands and it worked better than white spirit even removing thin dried smears. You do smell a bit babyish for a bit though. Worth a try if youve got some around

Lou

Settler
Feb 16, 2011
the French Alps
twitter.com
I just wanted to report that I removed pine tar from my tent after the moot using a warm iron over some kitchen paper until the majority of the resin was off the fabric and absorbed by the paper and then wiped the rest away with a cotton wool pad dipped in ethanol. It left no trace of resin whatsoever. Job done.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I just wanted to report that I removed pine tar from my tent after the moot using a warm iron over some kitchen paper until the majority of the resin was off the fabric and absorbed by the paper and then wiped the rest away with a cotton wool pad dipped in ethanol. It left no trace of resin whatsoever. Job done.

Sounds great! But check to see if it also removed any waterproofing. If so you'll need to retreat it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE