Remember, Remember...

Wayland

Hárbarðr
r1.png529608f9-4e53-424f-8b34-4ad3f5302b78Larger.jpg

The only man to enter Parliament with an honest intention and a clear idea.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
"Remember, remember the fifth of November,
Gunpowder, treason and plot!
I see no reason, why gunpowder treason
should ever be forgot."

Thinking on it..........do you think it's the old British equivalent of the Twin Towers shock to the nation ?
Over four hundred years later we're still burning the effigy of the man.

cheers,
Toddy

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I know it was nothing like the scale of the attrocity, but it really rocked the nation at the time.

Hear ? Does anyone else mind Guy Fawkes as the biggest clear out of houses, sheds, and clutter, of the entire year ?
Enormous tipi sized fires that burned through the night until the next morning. The smell of gunpowder in the fog ?
Grubby wee boys with bogies asking for a penny for the guy.........and you knew they'd spend it on bangers :D
And bangers then did BANG, not wee squit of squibs.

cheers,
Toddy

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Well that mask is from the movie V for Vendetta a freedom fighter & anarchist, he may have blown up the Houses of parliament,but Guy Fawkes he ain't :)

Last edited:

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Eh, no....it's a thread about the continuation of the celebration of the defeat of a treasonous plot.

That the religious aspects and the political ones were inseperable at the time isn't the discussion. Mary Tudor had a nation terrified that the Spanish inquisition was the next step. That the last attempted invasion (Spanish Armada ? remember? ) of the country came even after Mary was dead, and her sister on the throne, simply reinforced the determination.
The King that Guy Fawkes and his cronies tried to blow up was their cousin's son since neither lady had any surviving children.

Modern re-writing of history doesn't remove the facts.

Toddy

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I do so remember all that would burn being collected Mary.

it's only in the past 3-4 yrs that my village hasn't had a bonfire.

Guess who kept pulling the material down?

Yep the council.

Not an injury in a few generations but stopped just in case.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
When I was a kid, you had to be over 18 to buy fireworks !
Tsch - youth of today cannot be trusted with explosives - when I were a lad you could buy penny bangers at any age - as long as you had a penny and enough physical ability to stand there and ask for a penny banger!
In my day you were expected to blow your own fingers/arm/head off and accept it was your own fault and not go bleating for "compensation"!
Nanny blummen state!
Compensation culture!
If you do summat daft and get hurt it was you that did the summat daft - suck it up!

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Catherine wheels.............never could get the damned things to work properly :D

That said, my cat's terrified :sigh: she's curled up at the very back of the linen cupboard.

M

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Eh, no....it's a thread about the continuation of the celebration of the defeat of a treasonous plot.

That the religious aspects and the political ones were inseperable at the time isn't the discussion. Mary Tudor had a nation terrified that the Spanish inquisition was the next step. That the last attempted invasion (Spanish Armada ? remember? ) of the country came even after Mary was dead, and her sister on the throne, simply reinforced the determination.
The King that Guy Fawkes and his cronies tried to blow up was their cousin's son since neither lady had any surviving children.

Modern re-writing of history doesn't remove the facts.

Toddy

It was an interesting time....arguably a treasonous terrorist aiming to murder .....arguably a freedom fighter aiming to resist appallingly brutal religious oppression ....arguably two bunches of deluded people fighting about invented dogma.

Either way, if you have never been, The Lewes "Pope Burning" is a fantastic spectacle - right up there with Ottery tar barrels or Up Helly Aa :D

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
I've never really understood the fireworks thing. "Hey guys, lets celebrate the successful foiling of a terrorist plot by setting off some explosives of our own!"

But I'm a humbug :). Have fun tonight, and be safe.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's a beautiful night for it here :) Really cold and misty :D All I can smell is the gunpowder :D
Tamsin's still terrified though :sigh: she's a wee bundle of misery cooried in on my lap.

M

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I don't think the Stuart's were brutally oppressive.........unless one were a witch :rolleyes: Mary Tudor on the other hand is still known as Bloody Mary.

How did the Monty Python quote go ?
"No one 'expected' the Spanish Inquisition!" didn't stop them being terrified it'd come here though.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE