Reliable lighter

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I need a better lighter to put in with the loo roll for burning of the paperwork. The cheap BIC lighters off the market are not proving very reliable and my zippo seems to dry out between trips.

I keep looking at the Peanut lighters, but I'm wondering how easy they are to use, especially in winter?

Can anyone recommend a reliable lighter?

Cheers

Julia

dewi

May 26, 2015
Cheshire
Windproof jet flame lighter. You can buy them for a couple of quid on the fleabay and they refill using butane gas fluid.

I was given a heavy duty version 10 years ago and it will pretty much light anywhere, anytime.

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
I've never had a problem with the genuine Bic or Clipper lighters. Can't abide the cheapo market stall ones though.

Dave

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I use Clipper Piezo lighters these days. Light enough to stash in my pack and pocket, reliable enough to work after being washed twice in trousers, easy to operate with frozen fingers and cheap enough to not be fussy about.

The perfect solution and no more or less high-tech than a firesteel.

mick91

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
May 13, 2015
Sunderland
I have to admit the 10 for £1 disposables out of the pound shop work fine just carry a few of them. If you want refillable (with an admitted novelty value) you could do worse than a permanent match

tallywhacker

Forager
Aug 3, 2013
United Kingdom
As a smoker genuine clippers, bics and zippo bought from a store are the better lighters. I wouldn't expect genuine from a market or the likes.

I too am using the mini clippers from the pound store atm. The flint clippers often run for years but the flint wheels need a clean on occasion, obviously they need refills too. They are small enough to warrant carrying spares.

I find the jet lighters burn too much gas. Disposables tend to pop the flints if held for any amount of time. Piezo's tend to go 'out of sync' as carbon builds on the spring so can struggle to light after prolonged use.

Last edited:
N

Nomad

I smoke a pipe and roll-ups and have a Peterson pipe lighter. Not cheap, and not very good in the wind (but not impossible to use). Runs on gas and lights with a flint, you flip up the top and flick the wheel. Don't have to keep it held down for it to stay lit. There are also cheap alternatives, but they aren't as well made, and have a smaller gas reservoir (I keep one as a backup in a jacket pocket).

Peterson...

http://www.gqtobaccos.com/gift-idea...ontext=category&faceted_search=0#.VYBWHdgcGHs

Cheapie (copy of Corona Old Boy pipe lighter)...

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handmade-...515?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e8caecba3

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
Longest i used hexi gas for was three weeks solid, matches, lighters all got used to ensure a decent scoff n brew. I don't know the answer to this one hence a box of swan sealed in case of war.

caorach

Forager
Nov 26, 2014
UK
I've had good luck with the Torjet branded windproof lighters. You can get them on ebay or similar and often in filling stations or the like. They make a reasonable flame and are relatively windproof whereas the Bic type seem to be a disaster in the wind. They are inexpensive, less than £1 each, and refillable. Occasionally I throw them away and replace them especially if I'm going on a trip or similar plus I always carry a few but I've never had one let me down.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
Do you really need to burn the paper? Covered over with earth it will be back to minerals in a few months.

Not everywhere is that an option. Sometimes the ground is too solid to bury it, in others there is just too much animal life, other places it's so well used it's just better to burn it.

J

Bluffer

Nomad
Apr 12, 2013
North Yorkshire
If the environment is so difficult or sensitive, you really ought to be packing out all waste. Including used bog roll and the human waste.

I've recently wild camped with three young kids for three days and we packed it all out with us in wag-bags.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE