Reinforcing boar tusk

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dansvidania

Aug 27, 2014
Italy
Hi everyone,

during my last walk I stumbled upon something that appeared to be the jaw of a boar. I was lucky enough to find the tusks still attached and intact and to extract them. After some research my guess would be that they once belonged to an adult male.

tusk.jpg
tusk2.jpg

I appreciate greatly when I am able to gather the materials I am going to use for my crafts and hence I would like to make them into something to celebrate the find and the animal.

My concerns are about the mechanical stress they can withstand as they are mostly hollow and I like to carry around the stuff that I make, functional or decorative both.

Google suggested to fill them with clear silicone, but I am afraid the flexibility of the material could lead to cracks in the tusks. Also, even though I am not a worshipper of the 'primitive mindset' I do find that using natural materials when working with animal parts feels to me as more respectful for the animal.

I though about filling them with pine sap, but I would appreciate the guidance of the more expert craftsmen on this forum, because it is of great importance to me not to ruin the specimens.

Thank you all for your attention.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd fill them full of clear epoxy or Milliput as Wayland says. Milliput is probably the best option as you can sculpt the end to look more natural. Nice find.

Dansvidania

Aug 27, 2014
Italy
Thank you British Red, I see the seller does not ship to Itay, otherwise that same item would have been interesting.

What do you guys think about pine sap/pitch or any other natural material for the task?

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Most of the saps are very brittle - I would make up a sap based resin but add some beeswax for flexibility and a wood substrate for resilience. That keeps it natural but will work better than a simple resin.

Google "cutlers resin" for a recipe

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I would use epoxy, the hohour stuff should give you enough time to pour it in and allow it to settle

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I wouldn't use anything dark - use something clear, cream or white unless you don't mind changing the overall colour given it's semi opaque. What about simple plaster of paris then strengthen the caps? Or just stuff them with Plasticine - then cap over.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE