Reindeer pelts

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Hi Guys
I have noticed a few folk a recent Bushcraft gatherings with animal fur pelts which I believe to be Reindeer. I understand you may be able to get these with the back siliconised to make the more water resistant?. Does any of you have any suggestions based on usage of these or other pelts that can be used in Hammock/on top of army type camp bed/ inside bivvy bag etc to provide an extra layer for warmth.
Any advice or details where these can be obtained from will be much appreciated. Thanks Ivan.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
hyfan said:
Hi Guys
I have noticed a few folk a recent Bushcraft gatherings with animal fur pelts which I believe to be Reindeer. I understand you may be able to get these with the back siliconised to make the more water resistant?. Does any of you have any suggestions based on usage of these or other pelts that can be used in Hammock/on top of army type camp bed/ inside bivvy bag etc to provide an extra layer for warmth.
Any advice or details where these can be obtained from will be much appreciated. Thanks Ivan.

Hi mate,
you dont have to have them siliconised as the skin produce a natural protection when the skin is dried. The pelts are cheaper too if you buy the dried onces. The negative side on them is that they are a bit stiffer. I dont have a hammock but I use them sleeping on the ground instead of a thermarest or somthing like it.
They are really warm and I dont want to miss mine.
Here is a link I got from Viking, I dont know how good the skins are but they are the cheapest I found here in sweden, click on the link renskinn.
renskinn

cheers
Abbe

arctic hobo

Native
Oct 7, 2004
Devon *sigh*
www.dyrhaug.co.uk
As Abbe said they don't need to be siliconised. Reindeer skin has a certain life, and sometimes you will buy a pelt that will last very little time, other times it will last a long time and not shed any hair. The claim made is that the siliconised hides do not shed as much hair and are waterproof. The truth is they may be better than poorly-tanned skins, but the best thing to do is just to get a decent skin from a tanner you know is good.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
tenbears10 said:
Abbe

What is the difference between the Torkat and Garvat skins on that site?

Hi
I believe I have a Garvat skin but I am not really sure what Garvat is myself.
But I believe it is chemically processed to the point where the skin is soft and white.
I have one like it because I thought it would be much easier to get them to pack small, later I noticed that all the swedish guys have dried onces. The explaination they gave to me was that the dried onces are better when using on the ground as they still have the natural glue of the skin in them. I think you would buy a garvat one if you want to put it in front of your fireplace. Anyhow my pelt is very nice working in the woods too, I cut some twigs and put them unter the pelt and it works great here see the picture in the left corner the twigs are sticking out from under the pelt.:

91282e77.jpg

cheers
Abbe

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i wonder if a group buy is in order here.. as they seem a LOT cheaper over there.. split postage costs i fancy a few to go on the floor of the Kata :D

leon-1

I think duty does apply, but having said that I have had a lot of dealings with Brisa over the last six months and have not been picked up for it once, whereas everything that has come in from the states has been hammered apart from the matchcases from Keith.

Abbe Osram

Native
Nov 8, 2004
Sweden
milzart.blogspot.com
leon-1 said:
I think duty does apply, but having said that I have had a lot of dealings with Brisa over the last six months and have not been picked up for it once, whereas everything that has come in from the states has been hammered apart from the matchcases from Keith.

As I understand within EU there should not be duty taken, therefore you pay from the US. When I ordered stuff from US I have to pay too taxes but not from UK, therefore I believe that there should not be any problem getting stuff frou Sweden or another europian country.

cheers
Abbe

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I'd be interested too. I've just checked the import rules and, Notice 143 "A guide for International Post Users" states the following:

"We do not have routine controls for revenue purposes on goods posted into the UK from anywhere within the EC. Goods from certain “Special Territories” are not included in the fiscal territory of the EC and are treated differently for Excise Duty and VAT purposes."

The present Member States are Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France,
Germany, Greece, Irish Republic, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Spain, Sweden and The United Kingdom.

Looks like import duties aren't applicable. :)

hyfan

Tenderfoot
Jul 1, 2004
Beds
Thanks for all the above links.
£19 for a pelt is vCheap the only thing that worries me is that this one might be dried and not cured? I found a web site which sell what seems to be best quality cured Rn/fur skin pelts and they quote at the bottom of their page-

Extract from page
(Note: When purchasing a reindeer pelt it's important to recognise the distinction between DRIED and CURED skins. Dried skins are cheaper but they are not tanned or cured. If you purchase a dried skin abroad, not only will it give off an extremely unpleasant odour (not dissimilar to sweaty socks), you will also not get it past customs).
These are £70 plus £5 first classs air delivery to U.K. do you think this price is over the top for a first clacc reindear pelt?
Cheers Ivan

leon-1

Guys before you go buying anything you may want to get an english translation of what is on that site.

To me it looks like three seperate grades, the first is a basic quality one.

The second is suitable for decoration with minor inperfections.

The third is high quality seasoned (cured) and suitable for tent flooring.

I don't speak Norwegian, but this is what it looks like to me and would definitely want to know if I was looking at buying one :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE