Regular South Wales meets?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
You don't have to book it mate,just turn up and set up.The farmer will come to you for payment.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Right, Im going to ring this guy now, Does anyone have any quarms about dates? Staying there for 2 nights, Sat 4th, Sun 5th, and home on the monday. All agreed?
I will be working Mon so I will be turning up Fri and staying Sat night but leaving Sun pm :)

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
I would have liked to Stay Friday and Saturday night and leaving Sunday too, rather than staying Sat and Sun night. Obviously with work this is better,

Sapper, is fires permitted on location? Also theres a river, is fishing allowed? :)

sapper1

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 3, 2008
swansea
fires are allowed,bring firewood there is very little there.As to fishing I have no idea.The stream is very shallow and narrow so I would guess at best you may have a small eel but nothing else.

Mancalleddave

Jul 4, 2011
Bridgend, Glamorgan
hey,

Id love to come to one of these meets, what kind of stuff usually goes on during a meet?
I havent got a 4 season tent though, could someone show me how to make a shelter? Im a peasant you see!!

Big Dave

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Okay cheers Sapper. Really wanted to cook a fish the way ray mears does it, so i think I will bring a trout or 2 ready. I read someone saying they were gonna bring something to put in a casserole? That will be nice :D Rabbit or whatever.

Mancalleddave

Jul 4, 2011
Bridgend, Glamorgan
hey,

Id love to come to one of these meets, what kind of stuff usually goes on during a meet?
I havent got a 4 season tent though, could someone show me how to make a shelter? Im a peasant you see!!

Big Dave

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
your added to the list of attendees Dave ;) And dont worry too much about the tent. Just make sure you have a nice warm sleeping bag and thoughts of being in the Maldives, and you will be fine :D

Mancalleddave

Jul 4, 2011
Bridgend, Glamorgan
Okay cheers Sapper. Really wanted to cook a fish the way ray mears does it, so i think I will bring a trout or 2 ready. I read someone saying they were gonna bring something to put in a casserole? That will be nice :D Rabbit or whatever.

Rabbit would be awesome, ive never tried it! I was going to buy one from the butcher but me girlfriend would have none of it.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I don't get many rabbits, there just aren't any around here. I do get a lot of pheasant, and more than the occasional deer mind. We may have to slum it with venison.

That said, if that's the dray bashing weekend I won't be able to make it but I will get there this year. I shall do my best though.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
hey,

Big Dave
Wadda ya want a tent for?
You cannot see the view from one of them!
I will just be under a tarp in a hammock or even just ground dwelling :)
Ther is lots of room for tents though and as the site is reasonably sheltered even a garden pop up tent has been known to survive there :)

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Wadda ya want a tent for?
You cannot see the view from one of them!
I will just be under a tarp in a hammock or even just ground dwelling :)
Ther is lots of room for tents though and as the site is reasonably sheltered even a garden pop up tent has been known to survive there :)

Those of us urban dwellers aren't as tough as you John, you know that.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Slum it with venison? Venison isnt slumming it, Dougster, its bloody lovely! :D I really hope you can make it, I was looking forward to a nice bit of grub.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Just got back from an overnighter with Rich at BNI and he's mention the first weekend in Feb. I'll throw it past the boss but may very well be there........if there is room for a small one!

By the way, the good news is the hill road down to the site has been re-surfaced so getting back out is'nt a problem any more.

Good weather, dry and not too cold, roaring fire and good company; the perfect start to a 2012 with more Bushcrafting!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
It is a pity I could not join you!
I hope you can make the next one as well as I would love to catch up with you - it has been tooooooo long mate :)
As to the track - with an overladen frontwheel drive van I still struggled - due to the pine duff on the surface of the track ... third time lucky with a bit of sawing at the wheel.... :)
Most vehicles should cope OK though :D
See you soon hopefully :)

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
It was great, really chilled and the fire was great. That's the first time I've been out with Spencer in nearly 18 months - families getting in the way. It was great mate and I commented on leaving at the lack of trade goods. The dogs had a great time but my setter shivered on me most of the night rather than use the warm bed I made them so I'm knackered.

John I'm happy to get the kit up in my car rather than drag it all up the hill.

James, I was being sarcastic, I saw a venison dealer selling sirloin for £52 per kg.

I'll try to get out a couple of times next weekend, around the beating on Saturday, and then out for an early one the following weekend before a busy weekend but I cannot promise obviously. If I get some venison I'll set a lump to one side.

Jaymzflood

Nomad
Mar 1, 2011
Swansea
Jedadiah and WinstonSmith added.

Welcome to the forum Winston. What part of Wales you from?

And my i edit post and say what a good turnout its going to be for Feb. Ive got 10 names and a dog so far. Fingers crossed most people can make it, if not everyone. 5 or 6 would be great but if everyone comes who has their name down will be excellent.

Jaymzflood
John Fenna
Frogo
Sapper1
Dougster
Rob1983
Woodstock
Into_the_wild
Mancalleddave + Dog
Jedadiah
WinstonSmith

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE