Regular Devon( south west ? ) get together??

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

outdoorgirl

Sep 25, 2004
nr Minehead
Hi Dave - Is it OK to bring dogs? I've a pair of Welsh Terriers that would be with me if I make it along... They'll stay on lead are are pretty well behaved...

Pretty sure I must have met you at a Dumnonni event at some point - I used to attend a bunch of those things... :) And I have a big knife collection, although for some reason not one of yours yet...

Pip

Jaysurfer

Settler
Dec 18, 2008
Somerset, UK
Hi Guys

I too am going to have to leave it for this weekend. I am needed on the Army base on Dartmoor. I will be at the next one though.

J

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
The day is rapidly approaching so I should get you all some directions ;)

I'm about to pm directions to those on the list below. If your name is not on the list, then you won't know where to go. :p If you are still wanting to come out and play then you will have to get in touch with me.

Paul (craven)
No longer coming :( Jaysurfer
Dave B
Gunslinger
Matts
Tengu + 1
Harryhawk
Teedee
Outdoorgirl???
Joy R
Steve M
rawshak + Lorna
Alex UK
Chris the Cat
No longer coming :( Littlebiglane

I think the original plan (therefore the one I'm working to) was to get together saturday evening around the campfire and have fun. Then sunday we can do whatever we do, having fun and maybe learning neww things before wending our merry way home before nightfall.

I want to keep this one small and informal partly because this was pretty much my only weekend free this side of october and so I have a lot on my plate right now. I'm basically taking the place of the pub from last time :beerchug: We can always grow in the future ;)

So. shall we try to meet at about 5pm in the parking location? If we go in a group then there will be fewer complaints from Grumpy, but if others are coming and going later then that's fine too.

Saturday:
Arrive from 5pm
set up camp if staying
get beer/food on the go
night falls and we see what happens :grouphug:

Sunday:
get up and have breakfast
amuse ourselves throughout the day (any suggestions are welcome :) )
decamp and disband before nightfall (9pm)

If anybody is planning on coming down on sunday or just for a bit on saturday then that's cool, just let me know when you arrive at the parking spot ;)

Dogs.
I would love to say to bring them, but there is a slight bollox issue. Saxen (my dog) still has his and though he is an absolute poof and wouldn't hurt anyone/anything, other dogs often take umbridge to him because of them :( So following a recent visit from a staffy bitch who made him very uncomfortable in what is in essence his back garden, I have to say: No dogs. I know dogs who are great with other dogs and people the rest of the time, but I'm not willing to take the risk again. The only exception would be in the case of dogs who have already met Saxen and are known to get along with him. Sorry :cop:

I'm going to be computer-contactable right through (ish) until saturday morning, after that it's over to the telephone. I'll be in the woods from saturday morning trying to things organised and catch up on work (yeah, right :rolleyes: )

lookin forward to seeing you all :)

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Just for the record , I won't be able to stay over night as am due to be on shift for that week end period. I did'nt mention anything previoulsy as i thought it was important to get as many peoples names down as 'going' as to encourage others to attend , thus swelling our little population.

I do intend to pop down on Sunday just to meet and greet as many peeps as poss so i can put names to avatars(?) , so i will be bimbling down on the sunday , as as i work Nights i may well have to borrow someones hammock for a few hours to bang out some Zeds if anyone is generous enough.

Anyway , this will be a regular thing now, I can feel it. So if we don't all meet this time we can catch up later.

So see you all on Sunday.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
hey guy's,
did we decide on food? are we sorting ourselves or going for a group feast?? basically do i have to drag loads of cooking kit and stuff or shall i just buy a bag of spuds and some vegg to throw in the pot?? input please!:grouphug:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Dave's got plenty of pans, kettles etc. on site apparently as well as a ground oven. I'd like us to do a communal meal if possible. If we are, it's probably best we coordinate; spuds are great but not so go if everyone brings them... ;) I've got some homebrew bitter handy but it's not yet clarified...

BTW I won't be around til about 1800, since I have to work til 1700 then probably get the bus to Cheriton.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
i think it would be great if we could all eat communally, i guess we could all get there and then decide exactly what to eat, then a couple go off foraging at a local store? i dunno the area or how practical it is, or we can decide what we all like and just bring bits each? what does everyone else think?

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
I reckon bring random food stuffs and cook whatever arrives :D

The village shop is open 'til 9pm and is a mile up the road if extra supplies are needed. ;)

I've got a pit oven, trivet, a couple of large pots and a few smaller ones, several kettles and of course and lots of firewood! toasting forks, bbq skewers, lots of green wood, etc. Just make sure you bring your own eating and drinking vessels.

Oh and a couple of notes from my party. Saxen says that he is hungry and likes rabbit (bloody dog :rolleyes: ) and Charlotte (swmbo) says that if she sees anybody being silly with a knife or an axe she will shout at them ;) Not sure what she has come to expect from bushcrafters :yikes:

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
I'll bring the ingredients for poundcake and some extra eggs for the morning. That way if we eat communally I can make cake, and if we don't I can make damper or bannock and eggs :D

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
did anyone hear from harryhawk? we was going after some wabbit! :AR15firin
i'll get some veg n spuds for a stew kinda thing (hopefully wabit) if not i'm sure we can nip to the shop! this should b fun!

JoyR

Tenderfoot
Jan 31, 2009
North Devon
I'm hoping to get there for the 5pm meetup, but there is a slight chance (due to being a bit rubbish and having to ride a moped there!) that I may be a bit later. Fingers crossed! Due to lack of carrying space, I will not be able to contribute much to communal food, for this reason I was thinking I'd bring enough for me and cook it, thence not taking the **** out of all the people who are gonna bring decent food for communal usage! I can't blimmin' wait people :D

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Harry said that he may not get any rabbits :( But you never know he may have had luck last night?

see you all later on :) I'll come and meet people at 5pm, but we can hang around like a bunch of aging youths for a bit :D

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
oi, who you calling aging!:(
i'll have you know i'm in my prime!!:cool:
anywhoo, up to the individual in food respect, anyone who'd like to join in is welcome, any one that would like to do there own thing is fine to!
really looking farward to this guy's (and gals) should be fun!

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Hmmm, .....

Gathering of random people from differing backgrounds coming together to live in a cramped communal area ( sharing food . and God knows what else!!) for a limited period of times and then returning to a wider spread of communities???

Sounds like a possible Swine-Flu Distruibution point!!!

Better bring the face masks and the disinfectant.

craven

Forager
Jan 13, 2008
devon
Another great weekend! Big thanks to dave for allowing us to clog up his wood, I again came away with new found knowledge, (don't sleep near horny base players) but all in all another great night! Cheers to all who made it! Hope we can do it again soon.

Paul

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE