Regrets - The things you gave away or sold but wish you hadn't

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I sold off a bunch of shotguns that I finally decided that I didn't like. I've kept a couple.
Accidentally added a Boito 12 s/s coach gun (Brazil) that to this day, I regret selling.
I sold almost 40 years of sentimental value with that one.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
No, I don't throw things away so can't regret my actions in that way. I am a natural hoarder.

Same here. No real regrets about selling things, a few items lent and not returned.

I do, however, have a few regrets over things I've not purchased. Items that would have been a bargain but I wasn't sure if I really needed them and realised I did when it was too late.

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
My collection of vinyl LPs from the 60s onwards. So many memories in those...

An "album" was a proper thing. A CD just doesn't hack it, even though it'll hold more music. And streaming? Nah.

Oh yes!! I forgot about my complete LP collection I gave to my brother when I bought my first CD player; that was a big mistake and it gives me that little knot in my stomach every time I think of it - thanks :)

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Once I borrowed a 45 litres Swiss Army salt and pepper rucksack to a college, because he had to transport something out of the office, and never got it back.

I could kill him!

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Same here. No real regrets about selling things, a few items lent and not returned.

I do, however, have a few regrets over things I've not purchased. Items that would have been a bargain but I wasn't sure if I really needed them and realised I did when it was too late.
I was at a tent show in Ambleside probably 10 years +ago when the outdoor retailer running it was selling off tent returns. They had one of the crux full on geodesic 4 season tents with factory checked, flysheet replaced and new oe tent pegs and a full standard manufacturer's guarantee in the form of a letter. Apparently it was bought by a guy who had second thoughts and returned it without asking for their money back so they sold it off.

Cost? £100! Bear in mind it was as good as new with full guarantees. It was a top quality mountain tent from a respected tent designer. UK designer. It was tested by pitching in corrie Lies (or whatever the corrie under the cliff face of Ben Nevis is called) for a full winter season without damage before going on the market. Market price at the time was £400iirc when the nearest quality hilleberg tent was not much more.

I checked my bank account then went back to see it had gone. I could have got best part of £300 back secondhand. I knew someone who would have bought it off me too.

So regret for not buying something I've had.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com

That's a good point, there was a bungalow in Sandbanks when I was in my late teens, it was £60k and there were 4 of us thinking of buying it, wish we had, house prices there now...through the roof!
I think that generally, I want to miss out those steps where you buy rubbish and end up with something good, just to be able to buy the good thing would be ...err, good!

I lent a really nice tent to someone once and they destroyed it, that was a sad day as well... Ahh, I realise I'm taking the thread off into the lending thing, nothing we can do about those whereas selling or giving away is a clean decision we've made!

Janne

Sent off - Not allowed to play
Feb 10, 2016
Grand Cayman, Norway, Sweden
Regretting buying?
Oh, yes.
On the bushcrafty/ethnic side, I was offered to buy a small collection of Sámi stuff, knives, boots, items of clothing, outside implements.
I wanted to only buy the knives, but the seller wanted to sell as one lot.

Then, in the good old Iron Border times, I passed on a Patek Philippe pocket watch with complications, as I only collected wrist watches.
I could have had it for the value of the gold case.
Big regret there, wife and me still talk about it.

Then in the weeks after the Velvet Revolution, I had the possibility to buy cars from before WW2. Private small collection, old guy. Unrestored, but driveable. Fully complete.
Dirt cheap.
He even offered me three cars in exchange for my Nissan Sunny GTI.
I regret not swapping and getting a BMW 328 and a Tatra 77 too.....

The worst is, the Nissan was a real pos. Brand new, had lots of issues, including paint that came off when you washed it.

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
When I was very young, my uncle sold his house, which was standing next to a little river.
I was to shy to ask.

He sold the house and the canoe was gone!

Later I bought several others but I regret it until today.

Second chapter:

My brother sold his house.

We had no horse and no time and no money.
The horse drawn carriage changed the owner with the house...

:0(

Reactions: Janne

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
My Datsun 120Y coupe.

A gnarly gutless thing (Anything over 60mph and you got out and pushed) But very comfy drive.

Had too many projects...I sold it, but something like that would be impossible to replace now.

My Vango Banshee. Went to someone who got 10x the use I did...I can survive without it, but have no money to replace.

Never fret over something you can replace...

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
Granny B mini axe, fitted easily in the pocket of my outdoor coats and easily did the job of an axe 3 or 4 times the size.

I can well believe you missing that. I’ve only handled one once and it was so cute I could have cuddled it. I’d love to get one, but the hand forging of the tiny head puts the price up fairly high. I’m very fond of my Small Forest and would never part with it.

I kind of miss my beat up old Weihrauch HW77, it was a superb rifle that just got a bit too forward heavy for me after some muscle damage to my back. I replaced it with a BSA Ultra SE which was a dream to shoot but didn’t get enough use, and didn’t have the feedback of a springer, so that got sold too. I think another Weihrauch is on the cards, a second hand break barrel maybe, something that isn’t worth hundreds of pounds and can sit in the cupboard without me worrying I’m not using it much.

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
One of my horses, Rusty. He was a Morgan that was most responsible for teaching me to trail ride and herd cattle.

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
I gave away just about all my camping gear last year when I moved home. Two things out of a "ton" of stuff, I regret giving away, A fixed blade knife, and a cleaver, that I'd owned for years. It's been interesting renewing my gear, because I now know what I don't need. Two bikes I sold and regretted; Mk1 Moto Guzzi Lemans and US spec Triumph TR6 Trophy. Like this one,
ac4cde160f4be2b6b62b5e20f7be3533.jpg

Why do we do it

Reactions: GuestD

GuestD

Need to contact Admin...
Feb 10, 2019
Why do we do it

To be honest I found most of it quite therapeutic, I've had a fresh start, and find "tarp" camping, which is new to me, really enjoyable. No big bike anymore, so planning a trip up to the North West coast of Scotland starting off, until I get to Evanton, on slow B roads. Best not to "look back".
:beerchug:

Reactions: Macaroon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE