Reflections on the first 1000

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
As members approach a landmark post count, it’s customary to host a small competition for the membership- Sadly being at Uni I only have limited kit with me, so the competition will have to wait. I will launch one at Easter honest!

But I thought I would take this opportunity as my 1000 nears to do something not done often enough- To say thank you.
To thank Tony, the Mods, new members and old.

In the 4 years I've been here, old members have left and many great new ones have come. I see less mentions of radish cannons and more of families and kids, getting out there and giving it a go.
Our membership has truly grown, grown in size and grown in maturity (though not everyone has!). And I can honestly say I’ve grown a lot whilst I’ve been here, and I’d like to think you guys played a part in shaping that.

When I joined I was a mere 15 years old, reckless and probably quite annoying, but you welcomed me in with open arms. My posting has grown up a bit, and I’ve learnt that valuable life lesson to listen much more than I talk (or post in this case). I’ve been praised and punished (sorry about that!), made mistakes and learnt from them. I’ve made my first spoon, my first knife, spent my first night out without a tent. Over the last 4 years I’ve carved, camped, canoed, climbed, shot, walked, watched, explored, and loved every minute of it. Now I feel just like one of the family.

Every one of you has played a part in shaping who I am over the few years of my life when you grow most.
So thank you again to all you wonderful people, and to Tony for bringing us all together (and letting me stay when I got here!).

Goals till the next milestone: Get out more, meet more (still yet to meet many of you at all, the moot is definitely top of the list), travel more, make more, and live more!

Here's to the next thousand!

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Congratulations on the milestone! That's a good post, very positive and reflects what is the best elements of this forum; Nice one!

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Congratulations on your milestone and what you said is a credit to you :)

As for the radish gun it's still around, won't take much to get it out of mothballs ;)

oldtimer

Sep 27, 2005
Oxfordshire and Pyrenees-Orientales, France
Like you, I'm nearing the same landmark and feel the same way about the site. You epitomise one of the best things about the membership by demonstating how we can learn so much from one another regardless of age and experience. You have given me some food for thought about how I handle the 1000 post mark.

I'd disagree with you on one point, however, about "the few years when you learn most". Learning is not restricted to the young and different types of learning can only come with experience: learning to be a father, a grandfather and re-learning things one knew but had forgotten. Learning is continous and the great adventure.

People like you give me hope for the future and re-kindle my faith in the intrinsic goodness of humanity. Maybe the world will survive after I've gone after all: I was beginning to have my doubts!

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
thats a lovely post, ive only been here a few months but its a lovely place to be, im really pleased i found the site and intend to stick around for a long time (sorry ;))

just one thing..........RADDISH CANNON? WHERE? I WANT!

tom.moran

Settler
Nov 16, 2013
Swindon, Wiltshire
Im glad not all hope is lost oldtimer!
And tom, I do hope you stay, its amazing how much it grows on you.

Oh and if you want to learn about the radishes, you'll have to become a full member :p

i am going to stay, i really like you all, im 30 and been doing this stuff for well over half my life but i still feel like a 'beginner'. cant think of a better place to feel like a boss ha ha

i cant go full member for a few weeks im afraid, turns out im a kit *****, especially this week

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I missed this before, sorry about that...

Thanks for the post it's rewarding to read that we've helped you and that you feel at home here, one thing that struck me is that you stuck with it even if you got told off :D Good for you.
And your'e still so young, so much time ahead, get out and make the most of it, you can go anywhere and do anything, make the most of that opportunity and get to the Moot :D

Thanks again goodjob

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE