Red's first Sheath - Be Gentle on Me

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Recently I decided I wanted one more knife. I wanted something fixed blade, razor sharp but small enough to be carried in a trouser pocket when I wanted to be "discrete".

Most knives small enough were too delicate for my taste or to do real work - I wanted something that would punch above its weight.

Enter Singeblister and his "Hornet" knife. A full 3" blade but with a 6 1/2" overall length. What I like about this knife is the contours and the large poll swell. It feels like grasping an awl or brad. Very firm and secure.

Problem though - John doesn't make sheaths. It was time I grasped the nettle in any case so here is my first attempt at sheath making. Its a pouch type with a full welt, glued and sadle stitched in 18/03 linen thread, oil dyed dark brown and then wet formed to the knife. I'll mainly use it for pocket carry but I included a belt loop in case I want to use it that way

Knife

742016670_d8367f68ae.jpg

742016696_c4c75e9676.jpg

Sheath

742016460_4e68e64d7e.jpg

742016716_f6238be3e7.jpg

742016446_2b20881108.jpg

A good learning experience for me - always nice to develop another skill

Red

S

shaunmcdonald

Yep that looks good to me also. I really do like that knife shape too :)

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Very nice work there. I like the way it complements the knife. I saw that knife when I was buying one of Singeblisters, but you've given it a practicality that I hadn't appreciated before - odd that!

AndyW

Nomad
Nov 12, 2006
Essex
Red's first Sheath - Be Gentle on Me

Red,

If my first sheath (whenever I get around to trying) looks anywhere near as good then I'll be a happy man :rolleyes:

Nice one mate, it looks really good.

Next you'll be making your own Axe masks :D

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Hey, I like the sheath! Let me know how that knife works out after you have used it a bit? I have some AUS8 I want to grind down. May try to do one similar to that.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks guys - I appreciate the kind words.

Solitude, I had a very unfair advantage :eek: . A kind person recommended all the right gear that I needed (remarkably cheap actually to get started).

He than sat beside me for a number of hours, explained every thing I needed to do in detail and guided me through the entire process from unrolling the leather to the final use of Gum Trag to seal and polish the edges.

Singteck - you are always a gent but over the last two days you have been a hero :35: ! (I've been laid after my op and Singteck said it was about time I learned to do my own leatherwork when I whined about being bored so he came round two afternoons and taught me everything I needed to know).

Sadly, I doubt Singteck can spend that time with everyone, but I did photograph every step since I know I will forget things - I'd be happy to put all the pictures in my blog with a bit of a write up if they would help anyone else who want to try this?

Weaver - the knife is fantastic for a "three finger" knife - that large swell poll and anatomical grip means you can really "get hold of it". It also slides into a trouser pocket and takes up no more space than a large folder. I can see me using it a lot when wandering about but also as my knife of choice for carving wood.

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That's fantastic Red wish I could make them that good and I would offer them with the knives :)
Glad I didn't let knife down too much John - as Rich says having the master there is a big bonus so I claim no credit for this one - I need to fly solo for them to be my own work :eek:. I'll bung the photos of the process up in my blog in a few days for those that asked for them

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE