Redneck Gear

TurboGirl

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2011
Leicestershire
www.king4wd.co.uk
Watermelon Party Recipe:

Take one medium watermelon (about 18"-24" long and 12"-14" diameter) and cut a very small pug from the rind on top (just large enough for the lip of a spirits bottle) Pour a bottle of good rum into the melon and replace the plug. Refrigerate overnight then serve watermelon shots at your party.
We do something similar with marrows although you can do it with watermelons apparently :) We cut off the top and scoop out the seeds then fill them with raisins, sprinkle over sugar and hang them on an old stocking, somewhere cool, then fill it with rum/vodka/ similar and put the lid on. Keep topping it up every day with more rum/ vodka then when its started rotting on the outside, pierce the bottom and let it drain into a cup :) It's... uhhh. dangerous stuff :D

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You can do that with a melon. Cut the top off, just wide enough to let you scoop out the seedy bits, then fill the cavity with sugar. It very rapidly goes alcoholic. Didn't know it could be done with marrows though :) it's either feast or famine with marrows I find. Mahoosive sized ones or a mouldy mess.

M

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Here's another bit of redneck engineering I came across a while back. Remember I sent it to you TG?

1921983_10152266589798464_860894440_n.jpg

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
The nicest most friendly people I've met in the states were, by their own admission 'Rednecks' i've rarely met more hospitable people on my travels :)
They loved Lynyrd Skynyrd, Harley's and trucks too....so buddies in my book!

Amen to that! I met some of the nicest people you could imagine who would fit the description of "redneck", couldn't do enough to make you welcome and very proud of their homeland; salt of the earth!

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I like that one BR. It's common here for deer hunters (in states that allow dog drives) to have a dog box on the back of the truck. Said box doubles as the shooter's platform.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Amen to that! I met some of the nicest people you could imagine who would fit the description of "redneck", couldn't do enough to make you welcome and very proud of their homeland; salt of the earth!

Much the same impression I got doing a farmhouse B&B vacation through the UK and the Republic of Ireland.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
....... Sunburn's not a good idea; it hurts and it leaves long term damage too :sigh: .....

Yep. Basically it's radiation damage, albeit UV radiation. I've had it bad enough to be considered sun poisoning before (after spending a full day unprotected on a desert lake in my misspent youth) and I still get the odd skin cancer that a to be removed.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I have a red neck. It means I work hard outdoors. A term of insult? From someone with soft hands who cannot hoe a row of beans? Jealousy more likely!

I love the watermelon nappy!

Do you have checks on your blood pressure, it is often linked with high blood pressure, well worth checking out with your GP. Your not getting any younger and say your slogging away in the outdoors, keep an eye on it chap.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Rofl

I don't think I'll bother with an NHS visit thanks Richard - there are only so many appallingly bad misdiagnoses one family can take - we try to avoid them now and go private.

A red neck can be a sign of being out it the sun you know :)

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Rofl

I don't think I'll bother with an NHS visit thanks Richard - there are only so many appallingly bad misdiagnoses one family can take - we try to avoid them now and go private.

A red neck can be a sign of being out it the sun you know :)

Pay private but get your blood pressure checked.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
During the19th century Boer wars, the Boers called the British soldiers rooinekke or rednecks due to the complexions.

That's kind of surprising, since the Boers were Dutch settlers and they're blonde themselves.
Different hats maybe ? one protected the neck and the other didn't ? I know that if I don't wear one with a neck guard, like a kepi or the ones the Australians use on their kids, I can get very burnt very quickly.

cheers,
Toddy

stonehippo

Forager
May 15, 2011
Birmingham
That's kind of surprising, since the Boers were Dutch settlers and they're blonde themselves.
Different hats maybe ? one protected the neck and the other didn't ? I know that if I don't wear one with a neck guard, like a kepi or the ones the Australians use on their kids, I can get very burnt very quickly.

I didn't think of the hats, but the Boers would have worn wide brimmed hats and the British would have worn shakoes. Also the Boers were farmers and would have been very tanned.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Where I grew up on the edge of the the fens in East Angla, It was a derogatory slur that the people who came from the reclaimed agricultural flatlands of the fens ( parts of Cambridgeshire, Norfolk, Lincolnshire) were a little bit backwards. The accent changes quite markedly from the fenland area as soon as you leave it.
The bog dwelling reed eating 6 toed hunchback with a gradient allergy and a bearded sister/wife/mum who drove you to school in a tractor with a bit of a Norfolk accent was the general stereotype.

If you lived in the fens, you were a "Fenner".

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE