Red & BBs retirement home......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ahh the flower beds are in front of the cottage ..the lavender hedging is filling out nicely and the lupins and delphiniums just coming into bloom.

Can do pictures if you like?

zeBarOOn

Forager
Mar 22, 2010
Southampton
www.shroos.com
Yikes, just read the thread from the beginning and you've accomplished a huge amount! Thanks for taking us on the journey with you.
It's like an episode of 'Grand Designs' without that pompous Kevin McCloud presenter.

gotta get to building my Veg beds soon

similer but sides will be 2 x 6 " timber probebly 2 high ;)

to save work you can just put the Compost / manure etc straight in the beds on the dead grass and cover to let the worms do the Digging for you (Charles Dowding No Dig ;) )

Been looking at Ducks today so more fencing required

ATB

Duncan

mine will obviously need some soil to fill em up

You are going to needs some serious amounts of manure Dunc - maybe a tonne per 50 sq ft?

Next door ( well next field up the track ) has 23 acres of horses ;)

personally I prefer Cow manure not quite so many weed seeds to deal with

the council Compost made of the green bins is cheap tho a little lumpy if you pick up in bulk ( at teh back of Hurn airport )

ATB

Duncan

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
I don't quite understand the current trend for wooden edges to raised beds. Yours are a decent size though you'll get a decent amount of veg out of those.

have you considered green manures?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I think the late John Seymour would be happy to be considered a modern trend :)

The theory is that, once broken up, they will never need to be walked on again. The raised edge prevents the soil (which is already higher than the surrounding paddock) spilling over onto the grass when new manure and compost is worked into the bed. Given my paths are grass, it alo allows me to strim against the edges.

There are myriad other reasons. I can use soil warming covers and secure them to the sides, cloches (made to fit) and bird / butterfly cages (also made to fit) can be secured in the same way to the solid edges. This is Lincolnshire. massive winds are common. I've seen them strip soil covers from large fields and smash poly tunnels flat! The average field here loses 20 tonnes (yes tonnes) of topsoil per year in wind erosion.

Why other people do it, I don't know, but our standardised beds with edges are for purely functional reasons!

locum76

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
hmmm, yeah I see your point and I know from experience that raised beds are a great idea.

My issue is with the wooden edges getting infested with weeds, slugs, woodlice and worse. Wind erosion can be dealt with by hedges and artificial wind breaks.

Using the wood edges as structures for cloches and netting is as good a plan as any for that kind of thing.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
12 species native hedge is going in this winter :) It will soften the wind, but low protection will still be helpful for containing the erosion of a very light tilth. The wood is pressure treated and tightly butt jointed so there aren't many places for crawlies. Actually if slugs become a problem, the plan is to use recycled copper over the edges to deter the wee beggars (although some people are now using glass paper on a roll)

Copper works for me and my beds will have 15mm copper pipe fixed round the side which i could run a water distribution system on ;)

you dont need wood edges (they also encourage ants who like em as they get warm in the sun ) just mound up with 150mm between as wheel barrow tracks (see CD link i posted earlier he does his entire plot wit ha wheel barrow and half a dozen hand tools all copper /bronze)

ATB

Duncan

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
We decided we wanted a decent amount of “glass house” space at the homestead. There were a number of reasons for this:

1) To provide early germination of seeds for our veg beds.
2) To grow tender plants that do not do well “outdoors”
3) To extend the growing season
4) To provide protection from airborne problems such as blight.

When we moved in there was an area that had once held glass houses but that, more recently, had been used in a rather poor way to house chickens. An amateurishly converted shed was on that spot, infested with red spider mite, wet rot and wood worm. One of my first jobs was to demolish and burn this “disease hotel”.

The old “brownfield” plot became a general area for compost bins, manure, woodchip etc.

Greenhouse 1 by British Red, on Flickr

Eventually the time came to position the new greenhouses. The site was perfect – an open Southerly aspect, close to our water and power. So we planned out what we could fit on the site. Two greenhouses of about 8’6” by 10’6” left a small walkway inside the existing walls for glass cleaning and maintenance.

Once we had established this and ordered the greenhouses, the plot needed to be prepared. The first job was to remove all the old timber and wire work

Greenhouse 2 by British Red, on Flickr

The remaining walls had to be evened and lowered

Greenhouse 3 by British Red, on Flickr

The compost bins and manure were relocated (with a wheelbarrow – note to self – buy a tipper trailer)

Greenhouse 4 by British Red, on Flickr

Starting to level out – deep joy – some old hard standing was found under the soil

Greenhouse 5 by British Red, on Flickr

Breaking out a 6’ prybar and fulcrum made short work of those.

Greenhouse 6 by British Red, on Flickr

Beginning to dig over and level the site I was delighted (not) to find an old soak away filled with rammel

Greenhouse 8 by British Red, on Flickr

After digging further test pits to check for other hard core, the site was levelled and raked.

Greenhouse 9 by British Red, on Flickr

After checking and double checking the exact dimensions of the greenhouses, footing trenches were dug 18” deep allowing a 3” internal diameter. A concrete mixer was used to pour foundations.

Greenhouse 10 by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse Footings in by British Red, on Flickr

When the footings had “gone off”, I hand dug a trench 18” wide by 18” deep around the inside of the footings

Greenhouse trench by British Red, on Flickr

Well rotted manure, compost and topsoil was used to backfill the future greenhouse beds

Greenhouse bed infill by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse beds by British Red, on Flickr

The internal “footprint” of the greenhouses was then levelled off

Greenhouse beds levelled by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse flattened by British Red, on Flickr

When the greenhouses turned up, the scary moment was checking the bases fitted on the footings. Thankfully they did!

Greenhouse Bases by British Red, on Flickr

A big day’s work saw the basic assembly done

Greenhouse Sides Up by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse Doors on by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouses complete by British Red, on Flickr

The next day I chose to deploy “Springer brackets” (so named after the man who invented the greenhouse / kite hybrid )

Greenhouse Brackets by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse Screw and cup washer by British Red, on Flickr

Greenhouse Small Socket Set by British Red, on Flickr

The last job was to install gutter kits and twin rain butts to give 450 litres (120 gallons) of water harvesting

Greenhouse Water Butts System by British Red, on Flickr

As I finished this I noticed the sun had heated the air temperature enough to cause the “autovents” to open in the glass houses. A great moment!

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Planted out today.

36 Tomatoes (mostly moneymaker raised from seed, plus a few shop bought cherry and beef types for immediate consumption)
16 Chilli plants (I'm ashamed to say we bought these ...we lacked greenhouse space early on) - Mostly fresnoes but some scotch bonnet, jalapeno and tabasco
A few "sundry" plants for summer eating - cucumbers, sweet peppers etc.

Reckon we will be working the pressure canner hard if they all crop well :mrgreen:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Here is the "July" installment of our garden progress (threads elsewhere on building the beds and greenhouses)

The Greenhouses are like a scene from "Tenko"

Greenhouse 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned:
Note the mesh curtain pushed to one side. This is after evicting the third garden bird! Needs to have mesh big enough to admit insects but deny birds.

The chillis are still setting fruit and the early ones are getting used

Chillis 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Cucumbers we are growing are "minis" - one sitting uses one up. One plant equals about four fruit a week

Cucumber 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Tomatoes have set loads of trusses. Because we were late planting (due to building the greenhouses), I do worry if they will ripen though

Tomato Trusses 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

The flower garden is a treat - its had an extra year to mature now though

Cottage Flower Garden 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
BE PATIENT - plants take time!

The Rhubarb patch is coming on well. Last years plants (not harvested last year) are very lush

Rhubarb Patch by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
The time to establish a garden where you plan to live is now - not later!

The butternut squash are going nuts - very lush and setting fruit.

Butternut Squash Bed 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Butternut Squash 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
Things like squash and pumpkins really do need a huge amount of space - and food!

Brussels and Cabbages doing well

Brussel Sprouts and Cabbage 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
Here you need to net brassicas for both pigeon damage and insect (Large White Butterfly) predation here,

Our "Telegraph Tall" Peas are 7' tall now. The bamboo frame collapsed in high wind :( . It was fine when the peas were small - but when they grew, they meshed into one large, wind catching, sail.

Fortunately, we managed to add steel stakes and rescue the peas

Peas 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

However, the bush peas we are growing actually give a better "per square foot" yield

Bush Peas 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

The bush peas also need no support and shrug off the wind.

Lesson Learned

Plants really so grow - a lot!
Try several varieties and types of plants to see what suits your area.

The spring onions, leeks and corn all seem okay - but time will tell on the "wind" front

Corn, Spring Onion and Leek 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Carrots and parsnips are doing great!

Carrots and Parsnips 18/07/11 by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
Good root veg need stone free soil

Coming up next....a chamomile lawn area for the herb garden

Seed Grown Roman Chamomile by British Red, on Flickr

...and a rosemary hedge to the gooseberry bed

Rosemary Hedge Plugs by British Red, on Flickr

Lesson Learned
You can't build a garden in a year...or two

We have extended the composting area now to seven 330l "daleks"

New Composting Area by British Red, on Flickr

I intend to build a pallet based large compost area - but these things work fast. This is this years compost - already fully rotted out

This Years Compost by British Red, on Flickr

What else have we learned?

We need lots more beds, an enlarged rainwater capture system (2,000 litres went in an eyeblink in the drought), more organic material (compost and manure) to work into the beds, fruit trees should have been planted a year sooner, we need to build standard sized net frames and cloches to fit the standard bed.

More in August

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE