Red & BBs retirement home......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well Spamel asked for a photo or two of our retirement cotatge being "knocked about by a sledgehammer".

This is the place as it originally was

3690669257_76c1ce0dd1_o.jpg

and this is it more recently

3668989673_975a6e0010_o.jpg

Not to a lot of peoples taste - Grade II listed and built in the 1700s. It needs a LOT of work mind you........it really has been let go and bodged together! But we have been getting on with it. To be truthful if it had been pristine and in a "pricey" area we would still be dreaming. But in remote rural Lincolnshire and needing work, we could about scrape together the money given the fall in house prices

So we "took the plunge" and are getting on with it!

Just a lick of paint left really :lol

3743756512_8eab20846d_o.jpg

Quite a frightening feeling this - it even involves moving the wall ties that hold the building up :shock:

Mechanised help required clearing some of the land......

3668962225_f5d9654860_o.jpg

But a nice paddock underneath

3691344788_b2e65bfea1_o.jpg

An intersting cupboard in the living room......

3732578177_0454f93712_o.jpg

Housing an anthracite boiler (that leaked). Techically I suppose that is indeed central heating!

3757983281_b90ec0e7ec_o.jpg

However when ripped out..the original inglenook is revealed

3732591439_e712dc9513_o.jpg

Happy to show more if people are interested?

Red

smoggy

Forager
Mar 24, 2009
North East England
As you're obviously undertaking an extensive rebuild, in some areas at least........are you considering including any green technologies?

Solar panels/wind gen/wwod stove/etc.........

Smoggy.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Wood stoves for sure. Solar passive heating is a non starter on a listed building although we may use some PV panels to move to off grid electricity (probably with a wind turbine) as funds and time permit. We will also be moving off coal to propane based background heat...not completely green but better than existing coal or oil.

Red

Firebringer

Jun 5, 2009
Scotland
'Grand Designs' springs to mind, but hopefully not so much work for you. Exterior brick work and roof looks pretty solid from pictures.

Place looks lovely Red, take it you've got a bit of land associated with it?

Mirius

Nomad
Jun 2, 2007
North Surrey
Very interested indeed, please show us more! Thats a really nice looking cottage there. I'm really keen to see how you bring this up to a livable condition and just what sort of things you have in mind.

launditch1

Maker Plus and Trader
Nov 17, 2008
Eceni county.
What a lovely looking house.Id love to get stuck into a build like that...Ive worked on an old house of a similar age and that was also bodged together once the plaster came off.Like the old pic of some of the old inhabitants!So,Yes!more pictures.

Also,your pic of the cleared paddock..is that a large stone i can see?Glacial erratic?Any chance of a pic if it is?:D

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
What a lovely looking house.Id love to get stuck into a build like that...Ive worked on an old house of a similar age and that was also bodged together once the plaster came off.Like the old pic of some of the old inhabitants!So,Yes!more pictures.

Also,your pic of the cleared paddock..is that a large stone i can see?Glacial erratic?Any chance of a pic if it is?:D
Curiously not. Its a three tonne boulder that was put there as a memorial marker for a realtive who died.But its beautiful and part of the history of the place ...so it stays!

belzeebob23

Settler
Jun 7, 2009
glasgow
Yes please on the more pics
Looks like you had a lot of stress relief with a sledge hammer so far before all the stress of putting it back together
bob

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
That is going to be one monster garden. Have you thought about a pond?
Yep - there's another area for the pond :)

The paddock is going to become orchard, fruit cage, veg patch etc.

We have two brick barns and an old "wash house" as well so plenty of room for tools ;)

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well, since there's an interest - the bathroom in progress!

The original bathroom had an interesting use of tongue and groove (there is a tongue and groove theme here), pointless upright beams and red gloss with glitterball mirror
:eek:

The quarry tiles were original though - and about an inch thick. They stay!

The taps and cistern both leaked and dripped!

Removing the tongue and groove revealed that the bath was cracked away as well as chipped - oh and the worlds biggest cobweb was underneath

So we stripped it all - bath, radiator the lot. We would have to have removed it anyway to get at the plaster of the original wall (running behind the bath) for the damp proofing. It ended up looking like this

3710800248_5f38accb72_o.jpg

Then of course re-plaster, pva the old paint at the base and cut in the new wiring.......

3733389740_91a1b86118_o.jpg

A skim on the top to even things out. New "ball and claw" type bath goes in with a more "period" feel radiator. Thats where we are up to right now :)

3754975469_31b23139d5_o.jpg

Red

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Ooooo - I bet Fiona loves that and can't wait to beautify it mate!

Did you do the plastering yourself? - something I haven't really managed to master yet :rolleyes:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No Graham. To be honest my level is that of "labourer" at best :). I'm okay chopping back overgrown trees and the like but this place needed skill wayyy beyond me a lot of the time.

There's a bunch of local tradesmen helping us with all the bits requiring something remotely resembling "skill" :). We've been very keen though to use only small local firms and independents to keep the money in the loacal economy which is great as there isn't a lot of work on for them and we benefit from some great advice!

A good example is the guy fitting our new (calor) gas boiler. He took us around his house to show what it looked like and then nipped down to the council to sort out listed building consent for the flue! Nice blokes all of them (so far) - none of the normal tradesman horror stories

H

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE