Red & BBs retirement home......

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Wheres the pictures Dunc?.........Without pictures....it didn't happen! :D

well work in progress due to to much water in the oxygen

Heres the beds started

one filled and planted with Onions have added the poly cover to keep the rain out
its a 2" x 2" frame with 5off 2m hoops of 25mm blue pipe these are slotted over some 15mm copper pipe pushed into the frame 2M poly is then stapled to the frame
so you have to lift the whole thing off its also raised 2" at he moment to let air in . I've now got 32mm pipe and hope to go like yours to a 3m hoop for extra height and have the net side liftable for access to save removing the whole frame or bin the frame and fix the hoops direct to the bed.

the bed next to it shows how its done basically 8x 4 ft beds out of 9" x 2 1/4" planks
Ive dug down an extra 8" or so and binned the soil as its heavily contaminated with Couch and Mares tail
this is lined with weed mat and then refilled with sieved topsoil and compost the second bed is actually half full of soil but is now a Mud soup due to rain and no drainage
hopefully when its drier this will act as a water sump and the raised bit will not get water logged but this heavy soil will need a lot of compost added to get free draining
and i will probably dig in some drain piping in the center walkway to take it away
the plan is for 5 pairs of these beds in this lower area and some more in the upper bit to the right by the wall

Dsc_6910.jpg

a sample of the couch and mares tail root i found on the surface under the existing weed mat approx 1.5 wheel barrows

Dsc_6909.jpg

Here is the Water distribution plan luckily gravity will do all the work

the 2 IBC tanks will be placed behind my workshop at the yellow square then run pipe work along and down to the green house and to the beds
Hoping to get beds individually plumbed but cost may prohibit or slow that down

Dsc_6911.jpg

IBC outlet to 32mm pipe fitting
Dsc_6913.jpg

the emergancy secondary water storage is a newly cleaned out pond I estimate holds 25-30 thousand liters

Brown pipe is the newly diverted old sewage system that now takes all the rain water from the house roof. Tho showing how and it it the water coming out at he moment isnt roof water its ground water leaking into the old pipes

the grey pipe to the right is a divert from a ditch that runs thro the property and drains the 20 acre field basin above us its dry most of the time but now the ground is water logged it floods quickly in a downpour. In fat when i first put the pipe in it filled the pond to its over flow in a morning light rain ( same amount took the roof run off 1 week ) and over night over filled the pond to 4" above the top of the pipe so i now have a stop cap in the upper ind and the water uses the normal ditch

Dsc_6912.jpg

Pond was like this when we moved in
reed bed roots where a solid 18" thick ( is looking out over where the brown pipe is now SEB took out the Willows as there is a power line above )

pond.jpg

on the soils ive been using a Trommel to sieve it tho its not currently motorised its a big help over a hand riddle

Dsc_6905.jpg

hopfully with a motor on it will work like this on

[video=youtube;z-5Txtj0HlU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-5Txtj0HlU[/video]

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Excellent mate - feel free to add more piccs as you go. I'm loving the Trommel - reminds me of the huge ones used in the gold fields. Did you make or buy the trommel Dunc? I could really use something like that for screening potting compost. If its a "made" item - I would appreciate a "how to" write up - its very neat!

You are making great progress there chap - looks very neat!

Trommel is home made its actually fairly easy so far jsut a bit fiddly sewing with wire ;)

Here is the build so far and works fine by hand best if 2 people tho so the drum is constantly rotating

simple wood frame that fits on the top of my small trailer
Dsc_6898.jpg

Fitted with 4 x fixed castors
Dsc_6899.jpg

which have been ground off slightly in thickness to run in the rim of a 26" x 18 bike rim ( £1 per wheel from the tip jsut cut the spokes and tyre off)

Dsc_6901.jpg

Dsc_6906.jpg

cage is made from 12mm weld mesh with a rim each end stitched on with wire and joined in the middle by wire as well

ive used 1m high which has been cut down over lapped to give a length of approx 4.5ft you could probably just use the 1m and not bother with a join as its a PITA to do

center wheel rim will become the drive Pulley if i ever get a motor on it ( which will need 4 more castors and framework on the top etc)
Dsc_6905.jpg

so far hand running on my own ie 4-5 shovel fulls in then rotate ive filled 1.5 8ft x 4ft 2ft deep Beds
from this pile tho its a good shoulder workout

Dsc_6904.jpg

getting this lot out of the soil

Dsc_6903.jpg

i would maybe make the mesh 1" then you can add in finer sheets to vary the grade and 1/2" probably wont sort much compost etc

the one you can buy is £380 and a lot smaller

ATB

Duncan

Last edited:

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Bike wheels - of course!!!!! I was looking thinking - that looks familiar.....what is it??

Brilliant bit of shed bodgery Dunc - loving it!

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
At last...the weather has turned! Has a great couple of days getting things "sorted" on the garden front

The Spuds are now well enough along to need the first "earthing up"

Earthed up potatoes by British Red, on Flickr

The last of the sugar beet in pots is going mad!

Potted Sugar Beet by British Red, on Flickr

so I planted it out in a spare patch

Surplus Sugar Beet by British Red, on Flickr

The new strawberry bed is now throwing out a load of flowers

Strawberries in Flower by British Red, on Flickr

So its been "strawed" to keep the fruit off the soil and netted with wide mesh net to keep the birds out but let the insects in

Strawberry Bed by British Red, on Flickr

The last of the field beans have gone a bit leggy (having been kept under glass in case of late frost), so again, they got planted out to see how they fare

Spare field beans by British Red, on Flickr

Our young peas were getting destroyed annoyingly. The culprit was clearly wood pigeon...so bird netting (and .410 shotgun) deployed

Peas Netted by British Red, on Flickr

Courgettes have gone out today

Courgettes by British Red, on Flickr

and the tomato house has been planted...

Tomato House by British Red, on Flickr

Tomatoes by British Red, on Flickr

A lot of water is needed for this....and we are on a hosepipe ban....not a problem with tqo rainwater butts and six of these IBC tanks

Watering from IBC by British Red, on Flickr

I'm grateful to Al and Mary for plugging a gap in my Alium collection with these three cornered leeks

Three cornered leek by British Red, on Flickr

They will go out when they have been nursed into healthy bulbs

This plot area is an experiment based on Native American planting. Known as the three sisters its a mix of Blue Hopi field corn, Trail of Tears beans and squash. The theory being the squash acts as ground cover and the corn supports the beans. Time will tell as to whether it works

Three Sisters Plot by British Red, on Flickr

Made a couple of wigwams to support the rest of my cherokee beans....it seemed appropriate!

Trail of Tears frames by British Red, on Flickr

These parsnips from last year are being grown on to provide seed for next year...gives a nice feeling of continuity

Parsnips for seed by British Red, on Flickr

In this picture you can see last years salad onions also being "seed saved" together with two successions of pak choi (netted to keep off the infernal pigeons)

Pak Choi by British Red, on Flickr

The lettuce is in three successions here

Lettuce Net by British Red, on Flickr

The radishes happily don't need anything - other than eating!

Radishes by British Red, on Flickr

Weirdly my Yacon seems to have "stalled". It seems happy - just not growing

Yacon 25-05 by British Red, on Flickr

The Oca is well away though

Oca 25-05 by British Red, on Flickr

Overall it was a lovely day to be working on the place - especially with Agers and Sir Viv keeping me company via Test Match Special. I have to say I think we are getting there with the veg plot now - although I will be taking a chainsaw to the tree casting that shade shortly!

Veg Beds 25-05-12 by British Red, on Flickr

The flowers are looking nice too

Flower Garden 25-05-12 by British Red, on Flickr

Really overall - what a wonderful spring day - sun, cricket, foals and kittens to share the day with!

Dartmoor Foal by British Red, on Flickr

Pony Foal by British Red, on Flickr

Shire Foal by British Red, on Flickr

Kittens 2 by British Red, on Flickr

Hope your day was as good!

Red

Itzal

Nomad
Mar 3, 2010
N Yorks
What a fantastic thread. British Red you are a true inspiration, you should make this into a blog. Oh and I love your cottage, absolutely amazing, perfect place to live.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
The sage bushes are lush and green right now

Sage bushes by British Red, on Flickr

The onion beds are full

Onion Beds by British Red, on Flickr

the onions are full of juice and swelling by the day

Onion Bulb by British Red, on Flickr

Only one thing to do really - Sage and Onion stuffing balls to go with the roast!

Sage and onion stuffing balls by British Red, on Flickr

The Rosemary and garlic are just as well on - so a quick artisan bread

Home made garlic bread by British Red, on Flickr

This was to go with more fresh onions, combined with home canned tomatoes from last year, rosemary, oregano and thyme, more garlic and salt marsh beef through the hand mincer.

50 yard spaghetti sauce by British Red, on Flickr

we call it "50 yard spaghetti sauce" - because everything comes from within 50 yards of the kitchen!

The beds are well along for early summer

Veg beds early June by British Red, on Flickr

Now, I'm ashamed to admit we bought in the sugar for the desert DD made

Victoria Sponge by British Red, on Flickr

But if the sugar beet works out, we will sort that out before the year is done!

Sugar Beet by British Red, on Flickr

Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Time for a brief update....

Tree surgeon chappy left me a load of wood chip

Used about twenty builders barrows to woodchip all the paths around the greenhouses

Woodchip Greenhouse Paths by British Red, on Flickr

Still got a lot left though - this goes to deep mulching the herb beds and rhubarb bed

Wood chip pile by British Red, on Flickr

Things are coming on well in the garden front

Strawberries are getting some colour on

Strawberries 14-June by British Red, on Flickr

Early spuds are showing flowers

Potatotes 14-June by British Red, on Flickr

Bush peas are in flower

Peas in flower by British Red, on Flickr

The oca plants are bushing up nicely. We are really looking forward to trying these..lemony potatoes sound great. However if we like them, most of this years crop will be saved for propogation and growing a whole bed next year

Oca PLants by British Red, on Flickr

Here are some of other experiments and learnings in propogation.

The bulbules that form on the flower spikes of walking onions - just weird looking aren't they? Useful things though - a big onion on the bottom and a few sets on top ready to plant the next year!

Walking onion sets by British Red, on Flickr

These spring / salad onions have now been growing for 15 months! I still can't get the seed to ripen. I've taken a few of the heads off and am storing them in a cool barn in paper bags hoping they will dry and drop seeds. I am leaving others on the plant to see which works best.

Spring Onion Seed Head by British Red, on Flickr

These are second year parsnips....six foot tall now! Not many people see this biennial in the second year as they buy in seed.

Second year parsnips by British Red, on Flickr

The flowers are large and yellow - pretty much like wild umbellifers

Parsnip Flowers by British Red, on Flickr

Quite how I will gather seed from these I don't know...perhaps I'l tie a bag over the flower head as they ripen

Second year carrots - much smaller and more manageable

Carrot Flowers by British Red, on Flickr

We also got our first crop in today - the garlic

Garlic PLants by British Red, on Flickr

I was quite pleased with the bulb size

Garlic Bulb by British Red, on Flickr

Our eighty or so plants gave a good barrow full

Large barrow full of garlic by British Red, on Flickr

These have been set to sry on the wire greenhouse staging that does double duty as drying racks

Garlic on drying rack by British Red, on Flickr

...thats it for now...we are moving into that busy period so further updates will follow

Red

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Provided you don't get an early frost you should get loads of oca tubers, plenty to eat and to save. I've found you often get quite small green tubers forming on the stems of the plants and they can be saved and grown next year. However, I'm trying to just save the biggest tubers each year to hopefully breed a strain that produces larger tubers.

Earthgirl

Forager
Nov 7, 2012
Wales
:bump:

I've just sat and read in awe through all 12 pages. (not even really sure how I found it...) Brilliant thread. Definitely something to aspire to.
I love the way you share through pictures and there's some great ideas in there as well.

Absolutely loved this thread... Can we have an update pretty please :D

Have you come across these for a seed supply? very much heritage and definitely no GMO...

http://www.realseeds.co.uk/

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Kind of you to say so - I'll do an update of the Autumn projects in the next few days :)

I think I have spawned a few spin off threads rather than "muddle" this one - there is one on starting beekeeping here:

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=95267

Self sufficient sugar production here

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=97516

Yacon syrup production

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99553

Garden Failures

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=93850

Latest projects have been completely overhauling and extending the rainwater harvesting system and rendering and shoring up the outside of the steading....happy to post up pictures if you like?

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
An update to our rainwater harvesting system described in this thread

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43729&page=8&p=1009892#post1009892

Things we have learned

1) 6,000 litres isn't enough
2) You do get algae blooms in clear tanks
3) We need greater catchment for irrigation

As a result we have guttered two more outbuildings during the renovations and upped our IBC numbers up to 10 in four different feeds.

So during the renovations I stripped down our existing tanks. This has proved a simple thing to do. All the tank liners are held in by two bars across the top bolted to the main frame. They seem to vary in screw type (Hex, Torq and Phillips), but a decent box of drill bits sorts that out. Un-bolt and remove the bars, tip tank on side and drag out the liner

IBC Cage by British Red, on Flickr

Take the liner into the barn and get a little radiator (gloss roller) and a big tin of bitumen. Run a length of masking tape down one front corner

IBC and roller by British Red, on Flickr

Paint the bottom first and leave to dry

IBC and bitumen paint by British Red, on Flickr

Flip the liner over and paint the rest - then take the tape off - this leaves a "fill gauge" so you can see how much water is in the tank

Painted IBC by British Red, on Flickr

Bolt back into the cage

Painted IBC in cage by British Red, on Flickr

We have now five tanks with two separate feeds in the primary bank

Primary rainwater IBC with dual feed by British Red, on
Flickr

A double tank on the other side of the steading

Back of Windowed barn and IBC by British Red, on Flickr

A single tank on the outside of the steading

Outside of steading by British Red, on Flickr

...and a doubled tank covered in brush matting on the brew house

Brew House by British Red, on Flickr

I imagine we will continue to improve and refine the system....but thats where we are now

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Thanks Drew - its a lot of hard work but a lovely life.....cheap enough to do round here if you roll your sleeves up and do a lot yourself.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Quick update on the barn:

I am heartily sick of having to do everything on my "workmates", We had a good sized chunk of left over worktop from the kitchen, a few off cabinets that didn't fit, some 2x2 from the raised beds and sundry odds and sods.....

Put them all together.....

and you get a work bench

Workbench from left overs by British Red, on Flickr

Potting shed with workbench area by British Red, on Flickr

It may look "lacking" in tools - but its only about 12' long and I need more than that to bolt down:

Fruit press
Cheese press
Grain mill
Grinder
Sander
Drill Press
Reloading press
Powder thrower
etc. etc.

So only the metal vice is fitted.

All the other tools are bolted onto thick plywood. I can then clamp the relevant tool in place to use it

Fruit Press by British Red, on Flickr

The cupboards store the tools inside

Tools in cupboards by British Red, on Flickr

and on top

Clamp down presses and grain mill by British Red, on Flickr

Not the conventional approach...but gives loads of work surface available for all the weird and wonderful tasks - and a more flexible bench.

Got to run some sockets and bulkhead lights around it next week

Red

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE