Recommendations for waterproof over trousers?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
Hey guys

I’m after some new waterproof over trousers. Requirements are:

Must be breathable
Must be able to put them on without removing boots

Don’t want to spend a fortune if possible...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Army surplus MTP Lightweight MVP trousers.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
+1 for the MPT ones. Got mine from evilbay for £15. Full length side zips (if you go for the lightweight ones), pretty breathable (certainly on a par with my much older mountain headwear ones they have replaced, just £100 cheaper and in camo). They also fit well and don't seem to want to slide down as much.

cipherdias

Settler
Jan 1, 2014
Wales
+1 for the MPT ones. Got mine from evilbay for £15. Full length side zips (if you go for the lightweight ones), pretty breathable (certainly on a par with my much older mountain headwear ones they have replaced, just £100 cheaper and in camo). They also fit well and don't seem to want to slide down as much.

Worth a punt by the sound of it :)

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
How breathable are they?

Well, I don’t go jogging in them, but they have been fine for walking etc so far. I use them for beating, rabbiting, and field archery (when we’re allowed to again :) ). I have also used them on my motorbike for a few trips in the rain.

In reply to Erbswurst, they have self sealing zips from the trouser hems up to the hip joint area, on the outside of the legs. Each zip has double zip pulls, so you can get extra ventilation at the hip area, while keeping the rest of the legs covered, or to get into your trouser pockets underneath, if required. So far, so good.

Reactions: Erbswurst

lostplanet

Aug 18, 2005
Kent
I bought a pair of these:

MTP overtrousers

..and have found them pretty good. They meet your requirements but of course are in MTP camo pattern. The guy at Strikeforce (his name escapes me right now) has always been very helpful.
ME too for the MTP, jasper at strikeforce always sells good gear. I've got the previous version in DPM (no zips) they have worked well on motorcycle trips in the past and general wet weather walking. The MTP ones are a nicer option and the jacket seems to work well too(no hood). Haven't stood in a monsoon but average rain in the UK they have been ok. The sizing is more accurate to actual size than some previous surplus gear, so I wear my goretex jacket underneath a smock, and trousers on top but sized up larger. I will say they are a little bit "crisp packet" compared to the older ones.

Breath-ability, Always questionable, for the money they are worth a try. I have some Berghaus deluge which are good but pricey and not Tex.
I worked outdoors in some RAF jacket and trousers seyntex? I think, and it was ok (very cheap so trashable) don't expect to stay bone dry if you are chopping wood or exerting high energy lugging things about. Obviously you will create less heat from below the waist and has been said you can vent with the zips.

You can try Nikwax on the MTP to see if that improves them for you.

Id like to see a test of A Norrona Goretex suit against the PCS MTP and see if there really is that much real world difference.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Would you buy the MTP trousers factory new they surely also wouldn't be cheap.

3 layer Goretex trousers are expensive.
Just as a military surplus they are cheap.

When the first had been issued in the German army they had been declared as unlooseable...
;)

Did I understand right that there are two different MTP versions, lightweight and heavy? What is the weight in size L or XL?

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Would you buy the MTP trousers factory new they surely also wouldn't be cheap.

3 layer Goretex trousers are expensive.
Just as a military surplus they are cheap.

When the first had been issued in the German army they had been declared as unlooseable...
;)

Did I understand right that there are two different MTP versions, lightweight and heavy? What is the weight in size L or XL?
Mine were brand new, still in the wrapper. They were £25. The pair I bought are a shell garment with no lining of any kind, and weigh (apparently) 450g. I haven’t seen any kind of heavier version.

Reactions: Erbswurst

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE