Recommendations for swb 4x4

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Looking for a swb 4x4.

Had a Delica before, so swb Pajero in the running, as is a Toyota Colorado swb. Any others I could look at?

Cheers
Snozz

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

bobnewboy

Native
Jul 2, 2014
West Somerset
Suzuki Vitara 3 door. Cheap, tough, suprisingly capable for a "hairdresser's car". Selectable 2/4WD, low/high ratios, fuel consumption not too bad when compared with other 4WD cars.

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Ho cbrdave,

That is interesting, is this across all models, including the older variations as in Pajero?

rorymax

Last edited:

Sparky750

Tenderfoot
Dec 30, 2015
Merseyside
If you just want cheap bomb proof reliability simplistic with no comforts a daihatsu fourtrak is almost impossible to beat especially at the price you can pick them up for, if you're wanting more comforts for the family etc pajero land cruiser etc. I had a daihatsu as an off-road toy for a few years never once let me down despite all the abuse I threw at it if I had the time to use one again I'd be buying another the servicing parts are buttons too

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Ho cbrdave,

That is interesting, is this across all models, including the older variations as in Pajero?

rorymax

Only on uk shoguns, not sure why, all of the 90's ones I've seen have them, mines a lwb 97 auto model and has one.

The only hassle with the U.K. Shoguns is the rust , Pajeros seem to have less, especially the jap imports, something to do with japs not using salt to de ice roads.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Snozz, there are a lot of choices out there. It may help folks replies if you give us an idea of intended use, hard core off-roader, generally capable or road biased? Do you cover a lot of miles, petrol or diesel? and price range.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Snozz, there are a lot of choices out there. It may help folks replies if you give us an idea of intended use, hard core off-roader, generally capable or road biased? Do you cover a lot of miles, petrol or diesel? and price range.
Yes. Was coming back on to address that issue. Probably 85% of time on roads with occasional off road use . Nothing too serious, crossing fields and through woods etc.
Also needs to seat 4 so suzuki jiminy (?) a bit small.
I had looked at those Daihatsu's. They get great write ups.

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
Yes. Was coming back on to address that issue. Probably 85% of time on roads with occasional off road use . Nothing too serious, crossing fields and through woods etc.
Also needs to seat 4 so suzuki jiminy (?) a bit small.
I had looked at those Daihatsu's. They get great write ups.

Don't have a preference between diesel and petrol. Budget up to 6k

snozz

Dec 9, 2009
Otley
The problem is that cars seem to have got larger over the last few years and swb 4x4s less than 15 years old appear few and far between

Last edited:

Buck

Mar 25, 2013
Cambs
I'm going to get shot down for this however, I have a Skoda Yeti 4x4 that has never failed me (up to the wheel hubs in water and snow around Kielder the other weekend) in road trim... It could be better with proper ATs. On the road it drives like a golf and gives 45-50 mpg.

Dogoak

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 24, 2009
Cairngorms
Nothing wrong with Yeti's.
SWMBO had an X-Trail, pretty good really, like most modern diesels it developed a fault that was unfathomable without a large wallet. She's has a petrol 07 Forester now, excellent, low box as well. I need to convince her it needs a nice set of BFG All Terrains :) In some respects it's basic compared with all the gizmos you can get nowadays and depending on your view not a stylish car but it does what it's meant to. Not heard good things about the Forester diesel engine though.

As I said, there is a quite a choice, I reckon your best bet is to go see and drive, find out what you want/like and take it from there.

leealanr

Apr 17, 2006
Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
wat the risk of polarising opinion, Defender 90? Does all you could ever want off road. Bit of a pogo stick on road. Several here also have SwB Land Cruisers and they are a very nice comfortable car. Finally, I had a Pajero for 4 years in Jordan, used off road a lot, on road for distance, it was the LWB, but a great alrounder....

Tomteifi

Nomad
Jan 22, 2016
Carmarthenshire, South Wales
Basically, if it is not a Landrover badged vehicle, do not even consider it. If you've lots of people and things to move around go for the 110, if not; the 90-either in whichever derivative and year your bank balance can survive the blow. However, the newer the plate the less chance you have of successfully maintaining it if that is within your capability. TD5's are all very nice but watch out, its a plug-in for service- watch those £££'s rack up! Forget the moans about this or that isn't up to scratch-its meant to be like that-that is why it is the best off-roader bar none; which is what you have asked for. The best buys in 90's are the last of the 300tdi engine versions of which there are a few to research re. trim levels etc. The engine is as damn near unbreakable as an anvil with a hammer. Every LR has parts which wear out and need replacing-just depends on how you use it as to how long they last but, at least you can buy them and either fit or have fitted without breaking the bank. If you are going to use it in any way seriously off road and want to go more than in a straight line then it has to be a 90 as the bigger jobbies including range rover and disco tend to fall over sideways a lot. I see you are in Yorks. and there are plenty of off-road businesses there who will help you if you contact them. If you think I could give you more help let me know. I drove Landrovers for over 10 years in competitive off road events all over the UK(I also drove some lesser cars which regularly let me down in many ways) and was never seriously let down by one. Put simply, they are the very best of the very best.

Tom.

stone monkey

Tenderfoot
Jun 2, 2015
east yorkshire
Suzuki jimny, can carry 4 passengers but not much luggage unless a roofbox is used. Now on my 2nd one and will go most places my previous landrovers would but without the constant maintenance and in a lot more comfort. Would never go back to a landrover

Countryman

Native
Jun 26, 2013
North Dorset
My Nissan Xtrail has been awesome. They have now changed the design and it's useless to me.

42 mpg real world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rorymax

Settler
Jun 5, 2014
Scotland
Suzuki Jimny, quite possibly the best pocket 4X4 in the world (by far).

Cept for the Rhino :)

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE