Recommendations for lightweight tarp

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
Afternoon all

I’m looking for a lightweight tarp, small/ compact (packed up) so I can stuff it in my day bag and big enough for 1 or 2 to shelter under in a shower. I have a dd, various others, nice canvas tarp...but I’m thinking smaller, coke-can ish? I’ve had a look on eBay and there are a few, but recommendations of kit you’ve used and would recommend would be great!

Cheers all, j

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Its had a fair bit of use now, yeah. But not long term, maybe a few months. Though, it has kept me bone dry in the worst the Welsh weather could throw at me - on my first overnighter post lockdown typically!!

As you'll see from the review I was skeptical at first as it feels like a plastic bag, its that thin! But so far I only have praise for it.

OLO
www.onelifeoverland.com

hughtrimble

Jan 23, 2012
UK/France
I can't say I've used my 3x3 SL from DD a great deal, but it sure is light and keeps the rain out!

I found this guide on making a quick deployment set-up for it (you basically pre-thread and pre-tie some cordage to it) and it's encouraged me to use it a lot more as you're then able to put it up really quickly to get out of the rain/sun and start 'working' (on that beer) beneath it.

Reactions: Nice65

Barney Rubble

Settler
Sep 16, 2013
Rochester, Kent
youtube.com
+1 for the DD Superlight tarp, great bit of kit. They also do a couple of other sizes in the superlight tarp range.

As an alternative option - take a look at the Helikon Tex poncho. These are relatively cheap (£25ish) and work great for those eventualities that you need to chuck something in your daysack. Added versatility of being your waterproof jacket too. I used mine last month on a bivvy camp and it was perfect in a lean-to configuration.

Reactions: Madriverrob

RG30something

Jun 23, 2020
Reading, Berks
I'll add a vote for the DD superlight. I've got the 2.8 x 1.5m version and it packs really small and so far I am really impressed with it. Not had it too long but I've used it on a couple of trips where it hammered down and it's not let me down.

uncleboob

Dec 28, 2012
Coventry and Warwickshire
I'll add a vote for the DD superlight. I've got the 2.8 x 1.5m version and it packs really small and so far I am really impressed with it. Not had it too long but I've used it on a couple of trips where it hammered down and it's not let me down.

That’s the one I’m going for I think...out of stock at DD until September so just waiting now!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BumblingAlong

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2021
Winchester
Frustrated, struggling for some basic kit. I want a lightweight multicam tarp 250 x 170. Every one I see is too heavy or gets bad reviews. Probably going to have to be DD small tarp in coyote. It's a massive compromise but at least it will protect me.

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
Just for perspective, if you ordered the fabric and sewed your own tarp, you would be looking at $58 for the fabric alone, plus needing some webbing loops and shipping.

??

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE