Recommendations For Base Layer?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I wear a merino singlet, mainly because I can get them from Farmlands rural supplies outlet for under forty bucks. Icebreaker stuff is way overpriced and I don't see how they can justify their prices. Smelly Helly stuff is good and not too expensive, but only comes into its own if you are being very active and sweating a lot. When I was in the army I wore a cheapo poly pro/meraklon top, or just a poly cotton t shirt for days on end. I also had a polypropylene mesh t shirt and matching longjohns which where fantastic. I have just discovered they still do them...

http://www.brynje-shop.com/super-thermo-c12/brynje-super-thermo-t-shirt-p6944

and can't recommend them enough. You could walk in the longjohns without overheating because the air in your trousers "puffed" around your legs cooling you down. Brilliant! The pricing on the Brynje site looks pretty reasonable too. The one drawback is it does give you an all over fishnet look which can make you look like a deviant.... When I was at Sandhurst, my platoon Colour Sergeant came into my room as I was getting ready for a night exercise; at that point I was just wearing my Brynje long sleeved top and bottoms... His face was a picture of shock and horror as he exclaimed in his Glaswegian accent, " My God sir, ye look like something out of Frankie Goes To Hollywood!"

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I'd also go for merino every time, thickness depending on the season/weather. I'll wear anything from the lightest Icebreakers, 150 weight I think, right up to my Woolpower 200 & 400, or even both if it's really cold. I like merino because I can wear it for a good three or four days before it starts to stink, if I'm out for longer then I just live with it :)
I find Icebreaker tends to shrink a fair bit over time, especially in the body rather than the arms. I have three or four Icebreaker tops and they've all crept up, quite annoying if you have to tuck yourself in regularly.

For hiking in warmer countries I go for lightweight synthetic, although they eventually start to pong a bit they can be washed and dried every other day or so.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
If you are wearing Buffalo I recommend that you don't wear a baselayer, but if you must then you can't do much better than Factor 1 thermals from Sub Zero. They are made from polyamide yarn which is probably the best synthetic material. They sell cosmetic seconds at a great discount.

http://www.subzerostore.co.uk/

forestschoolmatlot

Tenderfoot
Aug 30, 2013
Wiltshire
I wore a HH lifa for years but would generally have to buy a new one every time I went to Norway as they have an awful tendency to shrink with regular washing. Found the same thing with some merino wool ones.

For the last two years I have had a Haglofs Actives baselayer and it is fantastic. Turbo warm doesn't shrink and easy to vent on a hard hike or cross country ski. Got given it to test by the company so have no idea how expensive it is, but probably worth every penny.

kelster

Mar 13, 2012
London
I have just received a Devold merino baselayer from Sportpursuit (after a wait though) , I have used several different ones in the past, including HH Lifa, Ussen, North Face merino mix and Aclima. This will be my preffered choice now down to -5c. Very comfortable and warm, worn for 3 days (on and off!) without a hint of a whiff.

tiger stacker

Native
Dec 30, 2009
Glasgow
If you have to work hard for a fortnight, in the same base layer and then get straight onto a plane, then wool is the only way to go.

If you have a laundry standing by, any old synthetic stuff will do the job.

Don't ask me how I know this...

Frabreeze works wonders up to a certain point.

Kilbith

Tenderfoot
Oct 18, 2013
South West
Can anyone recommend a reasonably priced base layer to go under a Montane / Buffalo smock? I know you aren't really supposed to wear one but I'm not so sure.
Thanks for any help
Ade :)

One of my friend use succesfully a netsuit form Taiga during one week in Finland (range from -2°C to -25°C during the day). A little smelly but it is very easy to clean it in some water and to have it nice after a small night in a warm hut (some bivouacs under tarp in between).

IMG_8227.jpg

IMG_8156.jpg

The net from Taiga is Flame Retardant (Rhovyl modal) and you have normal knit on shoulder against chaffing : http://www.coldskills.com/net-tshirt-fr-p-114-c-168.aspx

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE