recommend your ultimate boot lace maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
I am down to my last two pairs of Brasher boot lace's. I brought ten pairs ages ago to keep a supply on the go. Very hard wearing in my boots which are used almost seven days a week, on building sites and at the allotment and out and about.

Easy to tie and holds well when wet or dry.

As boot laces go at least a nine out of ten.

But since I am about to buy another batch. Can any one suggest a better make for me to try. Must be able to do "four foot" " 120cm" "1200mm" in length to keep to my style of boot.

So then people who do you use and or suggest??????

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Make your own. It's easy :) four ply (round braided like the leather for whips) fine 2ply nettle cordage (lasted 2 years in mine) or use linen thread for the same.

If you want a flat lace then finger walk braid seven loops of linen thread.....you could use dacron I suppose.

cheers,
Toddy

Smith28

Nomad
Nov 26, 2010
South East
Armorlace! I used to get through laces like anything on my work boots and then I found these, believe me, they. Are. AMAZING. I've now put them on my hiking boots and would probably put them on my dress shoes if the missus would let me!

I think the best price I could find at the time was Lakeland but too bad that's gone under, maybe ebay or amazon. If you do buy them and break them, you deserve a medal. If I remember correctly they also do pull cords for chainsaws and the like.

Quote, "Our patent pending technology uses stronger-than-steel fibres that are specially woven and treated to create the most abrasion, chemical, and UV resistant boot and shoe laces in the world."

And to show they back up their claims they have a lifetime guarantee! Link

Just found a pic, quite interesting..

armorlace-comparison.jpg

Even though it may look like it, I don't work for Armorlace. Just a happy customer! :eek:

Last edited:

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Flat lace technology !, flats don't come undone, having said that i don't use them. I always used altberg laces, but noe use 550 para cord. I find these do work well, but have a tendency to come undone, so i double bow them(makes sence ?)which stops this. Also, i don't know what make the German para boot laces are, but they seem to last for ever.

Rob

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Make your own. It's easy :) four ply (round braided like the leather for whips) fine 2ply nettle cordage (lasted 2 years in mine) or use linen thread for the same.

If you want a flat lace then finger walk braid seven loops of linen thread.....you could use dacron I suppose.

cheers,
Toddy

Seven finger brading, greatest thing learnt at the Moot, ever!! laces, friendship bracelets, fastening for cloaks, ties for bed rolls, bags, hairbands. anything that needs to be strong and not tactical,
:You_Rock_

tinderbox

Forager
Feb 22, 2007
East Lothian
I've never had a problem with walking boot laces. I think that bit stretch good ones have means that they take less rubbing from the eyes of the boot. One tip though, always replace the drawcord on your rucksack with a spare lace so you have one if it's needed.

Dec 24, 2011
Sheffield
My boots originally had had flat laces and they didn't work for them as they were too thin and would just slide around in the locking hooks. I now use paracord. It's very cheap and so thick that it does stay locked in the hooks no problem. Only problem is the paracord is so thick it is hard lacing my boots, but you can get it thinner. I was thinking about getting armorlace, but when I could get a 100ft of paracord for less, that's what I went for.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
This thread has been edited, and out takes removed to the Mods.

If folks cannot add anything useful to this thread, it would be courteous to desist.
Virtually every pair of boots in the land uses laces, and a bit like elastic, buttons and zips, they're kind of a necessity.

Toddy

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE