Recommend me some Lightweight Breathable Waterproofish Boots

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
In the warmer months my feet boil in my leather hiking boots.

They're heavy too and if you've seen my trips recently you'll know that weight is an issue:eek:

I'm not scrambling up mountains (mostly) I'm mooching about in the woods, so I just want a boot that offers a bit of support, is kind of waterproofish for the inevitable downpours our summers bring, is lightweight and if I can get some wear out of them down the pub that would be a bonus.

Don't flame me but I actually like the look of these:BlueTeamE

75d5_35.JPG

Timberland (you read it right) leather and canvas earthkeepers.

They are purported to be waterproof and being canvas should be very breathable. I obviously have concerns as to how they will live up to their billing and also how long they'll last given Timberland's leaning away from the outdoors and towards chav culture.

Does anyone know of a similar style of boot that has proven quality? I'm talking under £100 quid here and hopefully lower than £80:rolleyes:

Chinkapin

Settler
Jan 5, 2009
Kansas USA
I don't know if they are sold in the U.K. or not but Browning used to sell a boot here called the "ultra-light" or perhaps it was the "lightweight." It was made out of kangaroo. For some stupid reason, it was decided that it wasn't politically correct to make leather out of a kangaroo but totally alright to kill a cow. So, unless they have changed the policy or law (I dont know which it is) they are not available here any longer.

However, they are probably sold elsewhere. Anyway, they were a standard sized boot, and extremely well made. They were the absolutely lightest boot I ever had. I absolutely loved them, and would have bought another pair, except I couldn't find them any longer

I hate heavy boots, and often times wear a hiking shoe as opposed to a boot. Something you might want to try, that I have used very successfully, is to get a pair of Gore-Tex socks. I have had a pair for several years and my feet have never gotten wet in them.

I wear them over a thick pair of wool socks and the moisture/condensation of your foot will wick away and not build up, like say in a Gore-Tex jacket as some people complain about. Recommend them heartily.

bigmul

Tenderfoot
Jun 15, 2008
Whitley Bay
I have a pair of those Timberland Earthkeeper boots. I do like them a lot, but the sole wears out on the uber fast - especially in urban environments. Shame as they are decent. I've worn them for walks in the woods with the family, but not for going to the Lakes etc.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE