Recommend me some boots.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I'm after a pair of boots but have no idea where to start.
Budget £60 but I'd rather look out for much higher quality 2nd hand boots if I can.

I have just worn out my karrimor snow boots. They were perfect, but the quality was poor and they only lasted a year.

I'm now wearing an old pair of firemans boots which look like army boots. The problem is that they are cold, a bit too small and take ages to put on and take off.

Due to having a narrow hallway, I need a boot that I can remove quickly and one handed whilst still holding the muddy dogs on the leads.

I've tried workmanship muck boots and wellies and find them very uncomfortable. I need laces.

So...
£60
Waterproof
Warm
Size 8/9
Quick to remove.

Any ideas?

DR2501

Forager
Feb 6, 2014
Bristol
Meindl for me - I have the Kansas GTX, cost me around £40 secondhand off ebay in as new condition and they're the best boots I've ever owned. Meindl Burma's are also supposed to be excellent but will likely be more expensive as the rubber rand extends all the way around the boot.

There is actually a running thread on here about best and worst boots people have owned, have a search and read it - you'll see Meindl boots are consistently recommended.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
If you have a surplus shop nearby it might be worth looking out for the dutch army version of the german para boot its pretty good for taking on and off quick, unlike the german army version they have enclosed eyeloops instead of the hook type ones on the german ones. They also have a way softer leather lining. You could always give the guys at Endicotts a call to see if they have them or another boot that would suit you needs. No connection to Endys.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Them again... With postage that's £75. That's a hell of a lot for used boots that are sometimes of offer for £100.

They do look perfect though. If I don't find anything else by midnight I'll probably go for them.

Dec 13, 2012
Kristiansand
Have you considered the USMC rat boot? The only places I can find selling these are in the us though but at around £20 a pair for a $300 dollar boot you could be onto a winner. From what I can gather the boot maker cocked up and made a few bad boots (eyelets coming loose, some other issues etc), they corrected the faults during production but the USMC cancelled the contract so the boot maker bates was left with thousands of boots to get rid of. Ive seen the reviews most seem to get good deals but theres always a chance you get rubbish ones but for the money you could buy more than one pair and get lucky. http://www.lapolicegear.com/co-bates-29502-usmc-rat.html
I havent tried them but am seriously considering getting a pair to destroy at work so my nice lundhags to get killed.
Oh and dont forget us boot sizings are smaller.
Hth.
Wilderness dobbie.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
What do you need the boots for? Do you do a lot of walking, climbing, fishing or woodland camping/work. I wear Rigger boots most of the year, do a lot of walking around in them, waterproof, warm, easy to get on and off and very comfortable. All depends on what you need boots for.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
What do you need the boots for? Do you do a lot of walking, climbing, fishing or woodland camping/work. I wear Rigger boots most of the year, do a lot of walking around in them, waterproof, warm, easy to get on and off and very comfortable. All depends on what you need boots for.

I use them for dog walking, hiking, camping etc.
I just can't get on with rigger boots. I wanted something with a bit of insulation and fastening.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
I ordered the boots that McGee linked me to.
Thank you very much McGee.

The only thing that I noticed... 10mins after I ordered them...

Is that the description is for the meindl Bhuma. But the picture is of the meindl Himalaya.

858993fcc8d50198175fbb7eb106c247_zpse60e7ce4.jpg

After reading the reviews I'd rather have the bigger Himalaya, but ether way they get very good reviews.
I've emailed the supplier and just waiting for them to get back to me.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
I ordered the boots that McGee linked me to.
Thank you very much McGee.

The only thing that I noticed... 10mins after I ordered them...

Is that the description is for the meindl Bhuma. But the picture is of the meindl Himalaya.

858993fcc8d50198175fbb7eb106c247_zpse60e7ce4.jpg

After reading the reviews I'd rather have the bigger Himalaya, but ether way they get very good reviews.
I've emailed the supplier and just waiting for them to get back to me.

Glad to be of help. Good luck with your new boots, I have ordered loads of kit from Surplus & Outdoors and have always found them easy to deal with.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Well they arrived this morning.

I was a little disappointed as they are the Himalayan boots not the Burma that were advertised. They must have just got the name wrong. I watched a video about the Burma and the memory foam sole and the speedy lace tying trick it does. The Himalayan does not do ether of thoes.

However, after wearing them for 4 hours now they are bloody comfortable. They are very very heavy and chunky which is what I like. I feel like I could kick a mountain in the nuts.
They do lace up pretty fast. I was actually quite amazed at how new they are. They still have the texture on the bottom of the tread that wears of after a few miles. Someone must have tried them on and not liked them.
Then I looked at how much they were new and realised I'd just saved £160 on buying them new. So I'm pretty happy with them.

Feb 18, 2012
Bedfordshire
Well they arrived this morning.

I was a little disappointed as they are the Himalayan boots not the Burma that were advertised. They must have just got the name wrong. I watched a video about the Burma and the memory foam sole and the speedy lace tying trick it does. The Himalayan does not do ether of thoes.

However, after wearing them for 4 hours now they are bloody comfortable. They are very very heavy and chunky which is what I like. I feel like I could kick a mountain in the nuts.
They do lace up pretty fast. I was actually quite amazed at how new they are. They still have the texture on the bottom of the tread that wears of after a few miles. Someone must have tried them on and not liked them.
Then I looked at how much they were new and realised I'd just saved £160 on buying them new. So I'm pretty happy with them.

Glad it worked out for you in the end, they do look like good boots I was going to go for a pair but they didn't have them in my size so I went for the Meindl Mountain boots. They too were in as new condition. I wonder if they are boots that are given to new recruits and end of service guys that leave and they can't reissue them. I have placed loads of orders with surplus & outdoors and they have only sent out one wrong item, I returned it and they gave me a full refund and covered the cost of returning the item with no fuss.

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
That's good.

I would defiantly use them again. I'm sure they would sort it out if I returned them, but I'm really happy and the mistake turned out in my favour.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE