Recommend me a rucksack please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Third Berghaus Munro, had mine about five years now never looked for another daypack.

Really tempted by the munro but just bought a 40 liter rucksack and that will do me for 1 or 2 nights out so dont know if i will use 35 on days out.. I know i dont have to fill it but i dont want to carry unnecessary kit and i know i will!

Last edited:

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
Really tempted by the monro but just bought a 40 liter rucksack and that will do me for 1 or 2 nights out so dont know if i will use 35 on days out.. I know i dont have to fill it but i dont want to carry unnecessary kit and i know i will!

Well if your anything like me Pete you'll probably end up with lots of different bags of different sizes. I sometimes find the Munro a bit tight in winter so use a Sabre 45, likewise in summer I could probably get away with a 20 Litre sack. I sometimes bring home lumps of wood, fungi etc so it's good to have a little surplus space. Horses for courses as always!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I bought one of these recently for my son to use as a school bag.

olive-drab-canvas-mini-alice-pack-358-p[ekm]230x230[ekm].jpg

http://www.thebushcraftstore.co.uk/olive-drab-canvas-mini-alice-pack-358-p.asp

As it turned out, when it arrived, he could very nearly fit inside it so I bought him something more suitable and commandeered it for a day bag. There's no frame, but it's pretty comfortable once you get the straps right (double and tuck the shoulder straps to stop them slipping or they're a right pain) and it'll carry all your gear. The three pockets are useful, not sure if they'll fit a crusader cup or not. The fabric seems pretty durable, no idea how long the stitching will last as yet as it's practically new. Mind you... at only £17 or thereabouts you'll likely have a fair bit of change from your budget.

Cheers!

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Quite like the look of that Bulldog pack, although I'd like to see some pictures of the back system, waist belt etc.

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
Well if your anything like me Pete you'll probably end up with lots of different bags of different sizes. I sometimes find the Munro a bit tight in winter so use a Sabre 45, likewise in summer I could probably get away with a 20 Litre sack. I sometimes bring home lumps of wood, fungi etc so it's good to have a little surplus space. Horses for courses as always!

I have a few already! I have put 4 in the Swap Shop, sold one, and still have 3.
I'm obviously keeping the new one i have ordered(40L), i have a smaller pack at the moment which was an old work rucksack which i'm hoping to chuck when i get a new day pack and then im keeping one of my old packs as it has sentimental value and is not worth much anyway.

I owned this pack before and found it wasn't for me. Straps were not very nice to use and it didnt sit well on the back.

Quite like the look of that Bulldog pack, although I'd like to see some pictures of the back system, waist belt etc.

Exactly what i was thinking, might email for more pictures. I like the look of all the packs- they look excellent! Just never heard of the bran until recently.

Love my munro,simple ,robust, just a great sac.

That is what tempts me, if it was 10 liters smaller hmm.. its the top of the list to buy at the moment - alongside the bulldog, so unless something changes.. :eek:

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
I'm obviously keeping the new one i have ordered(40L)

That is what tempts me, if it was 10 liters smaller hmm.. its the top of the list to buy at the moment - :eek:

If your new 40 litre one has compression straps, do you actually need a 20 litre pack? Cinching down the straps will allow you to carry the smaller load comfortably and easily while still allowing you the option of carrying more stuff when needed/wanted.

The Berghaus Munro is a top day sack. I wouldn't worry too much about the ten litres of 'extra space' because you will find yourself needing and using them in the blink of an eye!

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I was going to go for OG but the black one was cheaper and will make me look less like an SAS wannabe in town (despite my tendency to wear my 94 pattern smock or Arktis smock in Tesco)

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I was going to go for OG but the black one was cheaper and will make me look less like an SAS wannabe in town (despite my tendency to wear my 94 pattern smock or Arktis smock in Tesco)

What ever you are comfortable in! Better than the ones in Tesco in pajamas..

spandit

Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
I have tried to dye my 94 smock black (just bought another pack today to darken it further) and the Arktis is in Dancam. On reflection, the camo face-paint might not have been such a good idea... ;)

Peteo

Banned
Apr 1, 2012
Wales
I have tried to dye my 94 smock black (just bought another pack today to darken it further) and the Arktis is in Dancam. On reflection, the camo face-paint might not have been such a good idea... ;)

:lmao: be better off buying a camo net!!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

So you'd rather look more like a SWAT team wanna be or SEAL team wanna be instead? :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE