Recommend me a knife

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Folks

I'm looking for a knife primarily for batoning, after a to the bone of my thumb experience, with my GB small forest axe, I now baton my kindling, but I'm not sure how much my Mora Clipper will stand. I am very impressed with Mora, both for its quality and budget price. So with a small budget in mid recommend me a knife please. I reckon about a 7inch blade and full tang…….like an old butchers knife…..ish…..

Cheers

Paul

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Have a look at Matt Simmons(field crafter UK)original knives they are 6mm thick on the spine so should be plenty tough enough.

Rob

swotty

Apr 25, 2009
Somerset
As Red says a froe....Or use the axe with a mallet..the other alternativly usema couple of small sticks as kind of "chopsticks" to hold smaller pieces of wood for splitting. Knives are for cutting and only for splitting in conditions where the appropriate tool isn't available IMO......here we go....:p

Jared

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 8, 2005
Wales
Yeha, think Morris calls theirs a Stick Chopper.

Pretty cheap too... seem to go for around £13 or less.

paulnb57

Nov 18, 2007
Isle of Wight
Thanks for the replies folks, some good suggestions, I had considered a Froe, but all the other suggestions look worthy of further investigation.....

As always, thanks for the responses....

Paul

Red, do you know of a supplier of the knife you pictured?

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I got it years ago from an old country place Paul its a stick tang on a turned handle so I suspect a cottage industry as turning them out from truck leaf springs. Its a heavy old thing but ferocious at chopping sticks.

Morris do make a stick chopper, bt its not as good IMO (too light and short)

I don't know if anyone makes these ones now but they weren't dear, about £25 or so. If you don't find anything fancier in your hunt, drop me a PM and we can haggle over this one :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Now there's a thing Red, in my part of the world (Cambridgeshire/Norkolk border) a beet knife has a small hooked spike, or a hooked end to the blade, so you can pick the beet you're about to top up off the ground without having to bend over and grab it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
There are many shapes of them Dave, but I do recognise the type you describe. I personally think this thing is simply a heavy chopping knife, there is nothing in its design that makes it specific to beets. It does do a fine job on sticks though

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE