recommend me a good outdoorsy film

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Large Sack

Settler
May 24, 2010
Dorset
Deadly Pursuit....

Tom Berenger, Sidney Poitier and Kirstie Alley

"A man is discovered breaking into his own jewelery shop in the dead of night. Questioned closely, it is learnt that his wife is being held hostage by an extortionist who demands the diamonds in the shop's safe. The extortionist manages to escape FBI agent Warren Stantin, who subsequently chases him into the forests of Northern America. Stantin recruits the help of a reluctant local Jonathon Knox, who has the skills necessary to track down the criminal. The only problem is that Stantin has no experience in the wilderness... " Courtesy of IMDB

Great locations, decent plot and a 'who dunnit' that lasts for the first 1/3 of the film...strange but true. Definitely recommended

Cheers
Sack

Last edited:

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Deadly Pursuit....

Tom Berenger, Sidney Poitier and Kirstie Alley

"A man is discovered breaking into his own jewelery shop in the dead of night. Questioned closely, it is learnt that his wife is being held hostage by an extortionist who demands the diamonds in the shop's safe. The extortionist manages to escape FBI agent Warren Stantin, who subsequently chases him into the forests of Northern America. Stantin recruits the help of a reluctant local Jonathon Knox, who has the skills necessary to track down the criminal. The only problem is that Stantin has no experience in the wilderness... " Courtesy of IMDB

Great locations, decent plot and a 'who dunnit' that lasts for the first 1/3 of the film...strange but true. Definitely recommended

Cheers
Sack

I'd forgotten this one. Great movie.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I cain't remember if this one has already been suggested or not but while we're on the subject of Tom Berenger flicks I'd recommend The Last of the Dogmen.

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but the Patriot starring Mel Gibson ain't too shabby a film. Scenes of roughing it in the swamps and some pretty wicked tomahawk usage at the beginning of the film... well I enjoyed it. Set just before the events leading up to the US independance in 1776.

Mad Max 2 is always a good watch as well.

And if you can lay your hands on it - Salute of the Jugger. Starring Rutgar Hauer (of Blade Runner fame) Another post apocolyptic film, but without the cars.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Don't know if this has been mentioned already but the Patriot starring Mel Gibson ain't too shabby a film. Scenes of roughing it in the swamps and some pretty wicked tomahawk usage at the beginning of the film... well I enjoyed it. Set just before the events leading up to the US independance in 1776.

Mad Max 2 is always a good watch as well.

And if you can lay your hands on it - Salute of the Jugger. Starring Rutgar Hauer (of Blade Runner fame) Another post apocolyptic film, but without the cars.

Bringing up Rutgar Hauer Reminds me of another one, Lady Hawk.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
Severed Ways: The Norse Discovery of America http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1062965/ This is very cool. They build a lean-to and stuff. Plus lots of death. Not one for the kids really.

And has anyone mentioned Robin Hood Prince of Thieves? Not hugely bushy but it has that cool part where they are building a villiage in the forest, and weapons and stuff. And the best bad guy ever!

I remember A River Wild being outdoorsy.

And what about Cliffhanger, haha.

merrygold85

Nomad
Sep 11, 2010
Ireland
I just found out that there is a 2001 film version of As Far As My Feet Will Carry Me. Should be great if the book is anything to go by. Got the download on the go, sweet!

Husky

Nomad
Oct 22, 2008
Sweden, Småland
Severed Ways: The Norse Discovery of America http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1062965/ This is very cool. They build a lean-to and stuff. Plus lots of death. Not one for the kids really.
I watched the first half of this last night. I recognised that they spoke swedish but at first I couldn't make out what they were saying. Then it dawned on me. The dialog is in swedish but let me tell you, what is said has nothing to do with the subtitles. They have taken an old swedish movie and dubbed the sound :rofl:. It's like the begining of monty pythons "Quest for the holy grail"
"My sister once killed a moose with a toothbrush"
Don't try to learn swedish from this film! :lmao:.

HarrogateTobias

Feb 4, 2011
Heaton, Newcastle
I watched the first half of this last night. I recognised that they spoke swedish but at first I couldn't make out what they were saying. Then it dawned on me. The dialog is in swedish but let me tell you, what is said has nothing to do with the subtitles. They have taken an old swedish movie and dubbed the sound :rofl:. It's like the begining of monty pythons "Quest for the holy grail"
"My sister once killed a moose with a toothbrush"
Don't try to learn swedish from this film! :lmao:.

haha

Its funny because my ex girlfriend was norweigen and every time we watched a norweigen film with subs she got so confused hearing her own language and english subs she lost trak of the plot...

God i miss her..

Ht

gandelff99

Jan 29, 2011
southport
the edge starring athony hopkins and darn if i can remember his name ooh oh oh alec baldwin,classic tale of survalism vs betrayal of the otherman ...set in the winter mountains also,dunno if its off a true tale but seemed really good

combat wise i'd saty rambo first blood was a classic if not over theactrical but great never the less.

funnywise,i'd have to agree with up the creek or non survivalist but outdoorsyish road hogs with john travolta...marco polo...lol

Xunil

Settler
Jan 21, 2006
North East UK
www.bladesmith.co.uk
Some oldies - a VCR may be required :rolleyes:

Pathfinder - the 1987 Norwegian film and NOT the 2007 remake, which is absolute pants by comparison :rolleyes:
Grizzly Adams
When the North Wind Blows

For anyone who hasn't seen When the North Wind Blows you've missed an all time movie great that should appeal to anyone of any age with an interest in the outdoors, wildlife and/or bushcraft; unfortunately it has never and probably will never make it to DVD.

If you want out-and-out bushcraft and wilderness living check out the National Film Board of Canada's "The last trapper". Words can't describe how utterly incredible this film is and anyone with a soul can't help being moved deeply by it. If nothing else it is visually stunning and if anyone who reckons they are a bushcrafter watches it and isn't utterly caught up in it they need to stand in a corner, give their head a shake, have a word with themselves and go take up train spotting instead...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE