Recommend me a compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
Up until now, I've always used a compass from the hiking club at Uni, but it's time to get my own now.

Can anyone recommend me a good compass up to £20 that's easy to use for a relatively inexperienced navigator?

I've heard that Silva is a good place to start, but there are so many to choose from, I have no idea which.

Can someone explain the different types of compasses and their pros/cons?

Metis Man

Jan 30, 2011
Manitoba Canada
Silva ranger is a good choice. It has a mirror and an adjustable Dec. I have use that style for my whole life etched is better then painted on scale as the paint wears off. spend time practising on how to use it and tie it to you. they are about $70 Canadian but will last a long time if you don't get bug dope on them.

Graham_S

Squirrely!
Feb 27, 2005
Saudi Arabia
There are a couple of navigational techniques using a mirror, plus it can be used to attract attention in an emergency.
I've never felt the lack myself.
I prefer the flat baseplate.

chris_irwin

Nomad
Jul 10, 2007
oxfordshire
There are a couple of navigational techniques using a mirror, plus it can be used to attract attention in an emergency.
I've never felt the lack myself.
I prefer the flat baseplate.

OK, thanks. I guess the simpler the better for the moment really. I've got £25 amazon vouchers to use up, so the Silva 4 seems a good choice

wizard

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
USA
The mirror on the Silva Ranger is so you can see who's lost :)

Seriously, I have a Suunto MC2 global needle type. I used a Silva Ranger for decades but gave it up for the Suunto global.

Mar 25, 2010
scotland
Hello Chris..
the silva type 4 is a great compass , its affordable and easy to use... its perfectly accurate, has romer scales and a more useful long base plate than some.. this is a good feature for measuring distance and taking bearings off the map between more distant points, especially useful on the 1:25000 maps.. a handy magnifying glass and map marking pinpoint stencil.... tiny silicone feet on the base stop the compass sliding on the map too....
in many years of hillwalking and travel and working out on a large estate i have had no need for anything more... at this price it is thoroughly recomended, and i believe it is the standard compass of choice for many outdoor training centres and navigation courses..
hope this helps.... practice makes the most profficient navigator..
regards
NR.

Chambers

Settler
Jan 1, 2010
Darlington
how about the lensatic compass ? it gotta me out of some places ^^

I've got a lensatic but don't use it for 2 reasons. I don't really know how to having never really used it and also from what I've read I would also need a protector type base (only way I can describe it, a clear piece of plastic with angles on)

Hopefully I may be completely wrong and can start using it?

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

I have an Silva Expedition 54, baseplate style, but with a small sighting mirror in the bezel..

LARGE_com_exp54.jpg

http://www.silva.se/en/Products/Compasses/Expedition/?productId=%7bF1FCAE0C-EDE6-4E31-A191-9B062E14CEA5%7d

Find it a good compromise option, but not cheap at around £50.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE