Recommend me a compass

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Silva 4 good solid compass

if you want one with more features in the future look at the Recta DP10 yo ucan use it for lensatic sighting and also as a normal compass etc

ive just seen how much they are now :yikes: bought mine in 92 ish

still a good job and the Silva can be a back up (always carry 2 compasses )

Nonsuch

Life Member
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland, looking at mountains
I am sure I don't need to say this but when you get it make sure you don't keep it in your rucksack lid with your mobile phone, knife, keys etc. I did when I got my first Silva base-plate type years ago and over time it reverse-polarised so the north pointed south……

NS

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Silva or Suunto. Both good. Don't get one with a short baseplate as, although they take up less room in your pocket, they're harder to work with on the map and are often too short for measuring distances or taking bearings on the map itself.

See if you can get one with the little sticky 'feet' on them - a God-send in foul weather as they're less likely to slip on the map/mapcase when you are twisting the bezel.

Keep it on a piece of cord long enough that you can hold it out in front when walking on a bearing but short enough that it isn't hanging round your knees. Mine's on a piece of cord larksfooted to the special cord loop on the Paramo Aspira smock top pocket - genius design.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I know you asked for a compass reccomendation but I think the following advise would serve you better. Find an orienteering club nearby and join them to learn your skills. Alternatively get the book "Be Expert With Map and Compass" by Bjorn Kjellstrom. He's the man who invented the base-plate compass and founded the Silve company. The book was originally written in the 1950s but has been continually updated and is an invaluable resourse. It's small and lightweight enough to carry as a reference book in the bussh (especially if you get it in paperback). Although the author's favorite is a base-plate style compass (like most of us here) he also discusses and compares the other types. Another compass to consider is the US Military style. It's advantages are that it combines the features of a lensatic AND a base-plate compass and is extremely durable. It's disadvantages are that it takes a bit longer to master if you learned with a strict baseplate compass (I'm not sure that's true if it's your first compass though) It's pricier than civilian compasses and finally, that durability comes with added weight; not excessive to me but enough to be aware of. Finally, DO NOT buy a used compass! It may be perfectly fine but you cain't be sure and a new one almost always comes with instructions.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE