Recommend me a torch please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
I have a LED Lenser P7.2, very bright for the bulk, good life, and very rugged. It's not small tho, so I am going to get myself one of these - Fenix E01.

My goto light of choice however, and one that is permanently attached to the strap of my handbag[1], is the Petzl zipka plus 2, while it's marketed as a head torch the strap on it is versatile enough that it can be used from your wrist, handheld, backpack strap, belt, bike handlebars, etc...

J

[1]I say handbag, many would call it a 32l backpack...

scottishwolf

Settler
Oct 22, 2006
Ayr
So far they've been as good as any of the fenix torches I've got. Im rough on them and had them out in all weathers with no troubles. There is a lot of crap on eBay but the surefires are pretty bombproof mate

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
I have a LED Lenser P7.2, very bright for the bulk, good life, and very rugged. It's not small tho, so I am going to get myself one of these - Fenix E01.

My goto light of choice however, and one that is permanently attached to the strap of my handbag[1], is the Petzl zipka plus 2, while it's marketed as a head torch the strap on it is versatile enough that it can be used from your wrist, handheld, backpack strap, belt, bike handlebars, etc...

J

[1]I say handbag, many would call it a 32l backpack...

Hi that's exactly why I'm leaning towards ditching the head torch as I've virtually got it constantly wrapped round mi wrist.a bit sick of doing the dale winton impression every time I want too look at something in the dark.team that with your handbag and people might start too talk

kiltedpict

Native
Feb 25, 2007
Banchory
I like the zipka's too. I got work to buy a couple for our emergency kit bags- we can wrap them round monitoring equipment or drip poles when we transfer patients by unusual means (military helicopter for example).

I know I try to slim down my kit, but I have never regretted having both the LD10 and a wee head torch too- petzl e-light most of the year, bigger petzl in winter (can't remember the model- has a sliding diffuser thing!)

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Ok so lots of ideas, but these threads really are like opening a can of worms.

so a couple of pointers from me.

1) If you are going to use AA or AAA do not use std alkaline batteries because they will leak and you torch will be ruined. I don't care that you have used those copper top one for years without any trouble, trust me they are all prone to failure. Plus modern LED lights require higher current than torches of yesteryear. Alkaline batteries can not deliver the current required. So with this in mind set aside some budget for rechargeable batteries, save mucking around just buy sanyo eneloops as they are the best around.

2) if buying a high powered LED light that uses 18650 cells avoid any branded Ultrafire, or anything else ??????fire. There is a risk of buying utter rubbish that may damage you or your home. Stick to good known brands.

Hope that makes sense.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Ok so lots of ideas, but these threads really are like opening a can of worms.

so a couple of pointers from me.

1) If you are going to use AA or AAA do not use std alkaline batteries because they will leak and you torch will be ruined. I don't care that you have used those copper top one for years without any trouble, trust me they are all prone to failure. Plus modern LED lights require higher current than torches of yesteryear. Alkaline batteries can not deliver the current required. So with this in mind set aside some budget for rechargeable batteries, save mucking around just buy sanyo eneloops as they are the best around.

2) if buying a high powered LED light that uses 18650 cells avoid any branded Ultrafire, or anything else ??????fire. There is a risk of buying utter rubbish that may damage you or your home. Stick to good known brands.

Hope that makes sense.

Yeah thanks for your input pal.so rechargeable batteries" check" .sorry to be naive but are all off the shelf batteries alkaline?.i had a petzl head torch pack in on me once. it was white n crusty on the inside I presumed this was water damage!.i am actually leaning towards the fenix range as it happens

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
White and crusty was leaking battery cells, not water ingress, pretty common with an old and overworked alkaline battery sadly.

Absolutely and totally agree with Essexman regarding those cheap cells from China - they have been raised as a concern by the Trading Standards people numerous times, and have even been found to be made from multiple reclaimed battery cells stacked together, i.e. from old laptop motherboards, in the past. Almost zero quality control, and a damn good chance of burning your house down. Same with those horrendous chargers they ome with that have the fold out two prong legs. They are so unsafe they should be banned, seriously.

Just dont. Really dont.

BillyBlade

Settler
Jul 27, 2011
Lanarkshire
Have a google for some of the excellent research and real time comparisions on voltage and discharge conducted a while back by 'Torch The Battery Boy' on another forum some time ago.

It'll open your eyes and show you whats good, fair, poor and downright dangerous.

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
Something to note with Fenix 18650 torches is that the ones I've seen recommend Fenix batteries as they're 3.6v and other makes often seem to be 3.7v.

For a simple torch I prefer one that uses AAs as I run it on rechargeables and can easily pop in alkaline AAs as a stop-gap. I would only worry about leaking batteries in a torch that isn't frequently used.

And another note, many LED torches with multi-modes will drain the battery over time. I've not had a problem with than but something to be aware of if you don't often use the torch.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Fenix Mc10 has been my constant companion since I bought it used from here.
I can't rave about it enough.
e5y5y6aj.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Unlike 'old school' filament bulbs LED's require typically a minimum voltage of 3.6 volts before they will activate, as AA batteries are only 1.5 volts apiece hence you need three to make a basic LED flashlight work. In order to make an LED flashlight that uses two or in some cases only one AA battery involves the use of a minature power inverter, the same technology that allows one to run items that would normally use a domestic mains supply from a car cigarette lighter socket. This wizardy however comes with a catch, it's not overly efficient and can be battery hungry but on the flipside you do get a lightweight light.

Some of the misery caused by leaking batteries can be avoided by putting a glob of vasaline in the battery compartment and around the thread of the end cap. Going overboard with the vasaline internally also gives even the cheapest flashlight some protection against accidental dunking.

For emergency/ BOB flashlights check out Lithium Iron Disulfide AA batteries, these have a long shelf life of 5+ years and pack a lot of power. I warn you now... these are not cheap, Duracell's are probably a better alternative.

Last edited:

Essexman

Forager
Jul 26, 2010
Essex
Unlike 'old school' filament bulbs LED's require typically a minimum voltage of 3.6 volts before they will activate, as AA batteries are only 1.5 volts apiece hence you need three to make a basic LED flashlight work. In order to make an LED flashlight that uses two or in some cases only one AA battery involves the use of a minature power inverter, the same technology that allows one to run items that would normally use a domestic mains supply from a car cigarette lighter socket. This wizardy however comes with a catch, it's not overly efficient and can be battery hungry but on the flipside you do get a lightweight light.

Some of the misery caused by leaking batteries can be avoided by putting a glob of vasaline in the battery compartment and around the thread of the end cap. Going overboard with the vasaline internally also gives even the cheapest flashlight some protection against accidental dunking.

For emergency/ BOB flashlights check out Lithium Iron Disulfide AA batteries, these have a long shelf life of 5+ years and pack a lot of power. I warn you now... these are not cheap, Duracell's are probably a better alternative.

I don't wish to get into a technical war of words, but this isn't true. Modern electronics are very efficient at providing the correct voltage/current to LEDs in torches. The fact that a modern electronic driver can give low, medium and high level of output puts them way above the 'old school' filament bulbs.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Fenix Mc10 has been my constant companion since I bought it used from here.
I can't rave about it enough.
e5y5y6aj.jpg

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk
Yeah nice piece of kit that mate i was looking at them last night on the web.i think this is what my money's gonna get spent on

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
No, you can buy good quality lithium disposables.

However I do agree - buy some Sony Eneloops - they hold a charge for years (literally) and pay for themselves by the third recharge. I am a convert.

I got these high capacity Eneloops and they're amazing. I was chucking away an AA Duracell every couple of weeks from my torch. One of these is still going strong over a month later.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sanyo-AA-...%26rk%3D2%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D330954793049&rt=nc

Favourite bombproof, simple torch at the moment is the Eagletac D25A. Rear clicky for on/off, twist head for hi/lo. Low can be configured for either a very low moonlight mode, or slightly brighter. And it can be done easily :)

http://www.flashaholics.co.uk/eagletac/eagletac-d25a-clicky.html

Last edited:

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex

Sorry, the single AA torch market is probably the fastest growing sector in the torch world at the moment. I have several of them, they're producing similar runtimes and outputs as Li-on batteries with the convenience of being able to find a power supply in your local shop, or abroad. I'm not sure where you got your info from, but it isn't correct.

Also, Vaseline is petroleum based so in time will rot a rubber O-rings, silicone grease is recommended. Even cheap torches are generally fitted with O-ring seals, but if you're likely to get it wet then that needs to be considered when buying a light.

Mr Adoby

Forager
Sep 6, 2008
The woods, Småland, Sweden
I'd go for a single cell torch with NiMh. Preferable two. One headlamp and one hand-held.

My most used AA-headlamp is a Zebralight H51Fw headlamp. It has been discontinued and replaced by H52Fw.
My latest purchased AA-torch was a NiteCore Sens AA.

I highly recommend both. But only with rechargeable NiMH or Li-Ion, not with alkaline.

My latest purchased torch was a Convoy C8. Also very nice, but strictly 18650 Li-Ion.

Single alkaline cells are not good for high output torches or headlamps. The chemistry means that a high discharge means a lot of the energy is lost. But for low output and long runtime torches and headlamps single alkaline cells are fine. Also if multiple cells are combined then the discharge is distributed between the cells and the alkaline batteries are able to give off much more energy.

For high output single cell torches rechargeable NiMh or Li-Ion are much better than alkalines. Especially since the high output means that the cells have to be changed often. For rechargeables that is no problem.

One problem with multicell use is that if there is one cell that isn't as good as the other, then that cell will reduce the total capacity of the battery pack. In some circumstances, like RC cars and flight, batteries are even measured and matched to ensure that all the batteries in a pack are as similar as possible. So single cell torches may be more efficient than mulitcell ones because of this.

Rechargeable NiMh and Li-Ion batteries can be used for low output torches as well. But some care should be taken. Some torches meant for alkalines may have *very* efficient step-up circuits that allow them to drain the very last joule from an alkaline battery. (Google "Joule Thief".) That is fine because that alkaline battery is then disposed. But for rechargeables a very deep discharge may reduce the life of the battery. Often Li-Ion batteries have a protection circuit to prevent too deep discharge that may harm the battery. Might even cause leakage in Li-Ion battieries.

NiMh used to be difficult to store charged. They lost a significant amount of capacity every day. But newer LSD (Low Self Discharge) NiMh batteries can be stored charged for months and even years with only a small loss of capacity. They also go under names like Ready To Use and Eneloop, depending on the brand.

Eneloop batteries by Sanyo (now Panasonic) are often considered to be the best. They are also pretty expensive. I have a bunch of them and am very happy with them. I also have a bunch of 3XAA to D adapters that allows me to use my rechargable batteries in things like radios and torches that takes D-cells. I can use 1, 2 or 3 AA Eneleoop cells instead of one D-cell.

IKEA has their own series of LSD NiMh, "LADDA" as AA and AAA. ("LADDA"="CHARGE") They are rated for fewer recharge cycles than Eneloop, but are otherwise about as good, or even better in some regards. They actually seem to be slightly *underrated* by IKEA. And they are much cheaper. When I need more NiMh, I'll get the IKEA LADDA instead of Eneloop.

So for persons that go through a lot of AA or AAA batteries a few sets of IKEA LADDA batteries and a good charger is hard to beat for cost. NiteCore i2 is a good NiMH-charger that also can charge Li-Ion-batteries.

A thread about IKEA LADDA on a flashlight forum: http://budgetlightforum.com/node/26725
IKEA LADDA: http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/00240585/
3xAA to D adapters: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Parallel...ase-Box-Convert-3-AA-To-1-D-Size/291031940502

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE