Recommend me a torch please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Alreet!hope your all happy n well.so I'm in the the market for a new torch.ive always used head torches but I fancy a change this time I'm getting a feeling I might get more function from a hand held torch these days.looking for something small,led,just one or two small batteries(not these new fancy camera thingies), waterproofish.all suggestions welcome from cheapie too HOW MUCH!.cheers Andy

Mar 15, 2011
on the heather
I have a Surefire P6 cost me abour 60buck , up graded the buld from 60 lumins to 120 and that cost me another 20 quib my pal has a Ledlenser cost him about 40 quid another great torch and solid as a rock., read a post on here about a small Cree single torch single cell job for£2.99 the build quality isn't that great but as a backup a stunning wee torch, that good a deal bought 4.

Last edited:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I would say any of the Fenix range. I have several that run on AAs - either small (1 AA), medium (2 AA) or huge (6 AAs). The small ones can hang on a key ring, the big ones light up the moon.

I have never had one fail or break or been less than delighted

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
5.11 or Princeton tec are my favourites of the moment both have wide ranges to cover pretty much anything you could need.

falcon

Aug 27, 2004
Shropshire
I would say any of the Fenix range. I have several that run on AAs - either small (1 AA), medium (2 AA) or huge (6 AAs). The small ones can hang on a key ring, the big ones light up the moon.

I have never had one fail or break or been less than delighted
Another vote for Fenix.....I have the PD22 model....hardly bigger than my thumb (therefore fine for my shirt pocket), uses CR123A battery, loads of settings up to 190 lumens, impact resistant, waterproof all for less than £50. Well pleased with it as you might guess :)

MartiniDave

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 29, 2003
Cambridgeshire
Plus one for the Tesco CREE 2aa, about a tenner and brilliant, in every way. No longer use any of my other torches, except my petzl Tikka.

Dave

ateallthepies

Native
Aug 11, 2011
hertfordshire
Fenix for me as well. I have owned lots of different makes of middle to top end torches but most that I now own are Fenix. The construction is very good. I have had the older TK11 R2 4-5 years and three quarters of that time it has been my work torch and been abused and thrown in the tool bag!!

I did start with Tesco Cree torches and these are fine for light use but all of them fell apart and stopped working after some prolonged heavy use.

I tend to buy from the Flashaholics site and there are plenty of standard battery torches there. I used to only want the super bright torches but now I look specifically for ones with very low settings and any I buy now must have a good range from super low to nice and bright! It's surprising how often I only use the say 3 lumen mode so that's something to consider?

Whatever you buy it's worth getting a small tube of lube and periodically clean the threads and O rings and lube them up.

Last edited:

slowworm

May 8, 2008
Devon
I've picked up a few torches over the years including the Tesco £10 2AA CREE. While that's ok for the price I've a smaller ThruNite Saber 1A that produces more light from a single AA battery and it has a better build with a good range of settings, very low, low and very high. While I quite like a simple torch (why oh why do so many come with a strobe?), a low and a high setting are useful.

My favourite torch is a Fenix LD25, is has a good range of settings and a way of swtiching easily between just two, it runs from 2 easily obtainable AAs and has a nice rubber coating so it's not too cold to hold in winter. Unfortuaneately it's discontinued I think. I've had it for a few years now, dropped it a few times and it still works.

Size wise, I prefer a 2AA torch for normal hand held use but if I'm likely to need to work on something a single AA torch is easier to hold in the mouth for a few moments.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My favourite torch is a Fenix LD25, is has a good range of settings and a way of swtiching easily between just two, it runs from 2 easily obtainable AAs and has a nice rubber coating so it's not too cold to hold in winter. Unfortuaneately it's discontinued I think. I've had it for a few years now, dropped it a few times and it still works.

Thats my favourite too. I bought spares when I heard it might be discontinued - they are an excellent piece of kit

Bishop

Jan 25, 2014
Pencader
Flashlights I've had a few...
And more, much more than this, I lit it my wayyyyyyyyyy

Though I typically pack one of those generic palm size jobbies that take 3AA batteries the one I use most after dark around camp is matchbox sized dynamo one. Bright enough for close up tasks like cooking and those times you do need both hands free it's less trauamatic to hold in the teeth.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Torches that I use (during winter) every day:
Fenix LD20
Fenix E20
Alpkit Gamma headtorch

The e20 is the oldest of the three, I've had it about 5 years and used for hundreds of hours. The LD20 is fabulous - the low setting gives about 70hours and is adequate for close work or as a 'be seen' light on a bike. On high it lights up the world.
The Alpkit is amazing for the money (I paid £15). Low white, green and red leds or a 1W led that is a good beam. Rear red light on battery pack so you can be spotted at night when walking in a group.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE