Recommend a turbo lighter please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SCOMAN

Life Member
Dec 31, 2005
Perthshire
I bought 5 or 6 from deal extreme for about a pound each with free postage. Haven't gone wrong yet and if they do not a major investment. They are like a little scuba tank with the spark bit attached to the side. Had a bit of a problem filling one but once I'd released the pressure in the tank no problem. Delivery does take a while though.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Ronson JetLites. £6 but you have to get them from the US (plenty on E-bay). Bought two a while back, one is still in the packet as the other is going strong. Metal body, reasonable price, respected make, not too expensive to lose.

Red

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
This thread has surfaced again!

Just to note that my DealExtreme 'turbo' lighter is still doing well although I did once have to blow the dust out of it as has been mentioned here earlier. No amount of blowing (TinkyPete even tried sucking:)) would get my second genuine Turboflame to work, but I have to say my third is still working, at least when it's warm (pause to check that's still true....yes it is) and somewhat to my surprise.

Next time I order from DealExtreme I'll get a few more. :)

Incidentally I mended the tongs we use for the wood burning stove using the wife's kitchen blowtorch thing last night. It's like a Turboflame lighter on steroids. Worked a treat! Don't tell her. :yikes:

Grendel

Settler
Mar 20, 2011
Southampton
Must admit the one I had was replaced twice since if you had it alight for more than a couple of minutes it melted the wire filament.

Now i use a Zippo windproof or matches.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

william#

Settler
Sep 5, 2005
sussex
I have used many of these turbo lighters and they all have been great for about a week or two then they fail badly.
Silva was great for about a week then started playing up so much it was a pointless piece of kit to take out.
tried many other cheap ones they all fail quickly but at least they are cheap.
had the ray mears one which again was great for a few weeks then failed (made the mistake of buying a lot from woodlore expecting unrivaled kit as ray is a great bloke right who knows the score with kit - does not seem to be true unless hi intention is to sell you something that maybe lasts for one trip).

I really wanted to have a lighter for life (that was not a zippo) but these turbo lighters fail so often and so quickly i would never take one into the woods.

i have a flint and steel pretty much always in my pack somewhere and a scattering of cheap disposable lighters - ironically the disposables are the best value and most reliable.

on a final note as another person said on the thread the presentation tin on the silva is very useful shame the lighter was so appalling(honestly i would of been happy to pay double to have a reliable one).

[h=1]UST Delta Stormproof Lighter[/h]
is meant to be great and i am tempted to buy but don't due to my experiences with this kind of lighter - i only like kit i can rely on or at least kick it enough to get it working when im out - just the way i roll lol

Last edited:

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Have any of you guys that have had problems tried bleeding them?? Mine packed in Scotland but I found a website that said bleeding them now and again usually sorts them out!! It certainly has with mine!!
To do it you hold them the normal way round as if your gouge to light it and use a screw driver to remove all the gas out.
Re fill it and it should work no problem!!
Cheers
Steve

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE