Recommend a parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
I've owned the same parka now for over 18 years, by Alpha Industries, comes out when the weather is as bleak as it gets up here in Geordieland, weather any less than that and it is true overkill and will have you sweating buckets even with all the vent zippers open, hellova coat though lol will probably outlive me

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
Swedish M90. Inexspensive, tough, essentially waterproof, large hood, rugged two way zip and massive pockets. I've worn one for work for many years. Incredible value for money. Recommended.

Polecatsteve

Nomad
Aug 20, 2014
Scotland
How much do you want to spend? I have used a german "nato parka" for every winter for 16 years. The german flags been removed. It is a fantastic warm coat that covers your rear end and thighs and whilst not waterproof the double layers (interior polycotton pile lining) acts as a second barrier. If they are good nick they have a water proof shoulder cover in between layers. Mines since degraded to nothing. I have put a "pack-it" jacket hood and arms into mine after cutting it up which makes it water proof. It has also seen several greenland wax applications.

I got mine for about 20 quid back in the day but they are hard to find now. Iv replaced nearly every button but the shell still strong.

Best dog walking jacket ever. Dries very fast too considering it's cotton.

I'd compare it to a Fjallraven Greenland parka. If the greenland had a waist and hem synch id consider replacing my aged army parka.

Apr 8, 2009
Ashdown Forest
How much do you want to spend? I have used a german "nato parka" for every winter for 16 years. The german flags been removed. It is a fantastic warm coat that covers your rear end and thighs and whilst not waterproof the double layers (interior polycotton pile lining) acts as a second barrier. If they are good nick they have a water proof shoulder cover in between layers. Mines since degraded to nothing. I have put a "pack-it" jacket hood and arms into mine after cutting it up which makes it water proof. It has also seen several greenland wax applications.

I got mine for about 20 quid back in the day but they are hard to find now. Iv replaced nearly every button but the shell still strong.

Best dog walking jacket ever. Dries very fast too considering it's cotton.

Fabulous parka - saw me through my student days in the late 90's when i was too tight to pay for heating the house! Nice retro style too. I think you can/could get genuine (navy issue) blue versions too.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I've just been through the entire thread. What is winter to you? This kind of coat and that kind of coat.
What makes you work outdoors at -20C? -40C? Tropical 0C with no wind? -40C with a 50kph wind for a week?

In Canada, we have all sorts of clothing and headwear and footwear for the cold. Really freakin' cold.
Guys pushing on oil well drill rigs at -40C and colder. Mark's Work Wearhouse/Dakota gear.

In retirement, I'm not rushing from a vehicle to a building and back. I'm outside to do things
and I do not need to give a sweet rat's patootie about temperatures.
In fact, I've got an Eddie Bauer parka that I can't wear above -20C or I'll melt!

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Look up Dutch Navy or Airforce parkas. I have just started to wear one as my winter coat, although it has not really been cold enough for it yet, it is really warm, quite long, navy blue and heavy. Got mine new for £45 and is also supposed to be water proof, again not really had a chance to test that yet.

Now used this down to about -4 just jacket/liner and a T-shirt. I was just starting to feel the cold a little bit, but overall very happy with it

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks for all the help and info, plenty to look at, will have to wait for a few weeks, the shogun blew its head this week, Had to spend all my savings on a vehicle for work.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE