Recommend a parka

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Looking for a decent warm, waterproof parka for winter, prefer sub £100 as I'm tight and in black, I had a regatta one I picked up last year for £30 for the price I didn't expect much but it was fully waterproof and warm but pockets tore easy.

Any recommendations appreciated, any links would be fantastic
Thanks
Dave.

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
Depends on where you want to wear it but I bought a Hi Vis winter coat off of ebay for under £20.

It's starting it's 3rd winter with me and I've worn it at work and for walking the dogs in all sorts of wet weather virtually every day and been really toasty in it on freezing cold days.

Only criticisms is it is bright yellow and doesn't have a hood, but other than that I can't fault it. You can get the same style in black or blue with reflective stripes on it which is more subdued :)

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Ive got one of those for work but was looking for a out and about coat.
wife doesn't like walking around with a what she calls a traffic cone.:rolleyes:

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
There's a great deal going on a cold weather parka on the forum...
Check it out
http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=142773

Awesome bit of kit and this one looks almost unused , so bargain for what it is. Depends if the right size for you ...
MVP is like a goretex .

If I didn't have so many coats I would've nabbed it already....

Edit: sorry just realised you're after a black one...

Last edited:

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
Have a look on http://www.sportsdirect.com/ i know they sell some tat, but they also sell decent branded stuff to ie The north face, Berghaus, Jackwolfskin, Salomon ect.

I picked up a mens black Jack wolfskin texapore jacket off ebay, use it for walking the dogs in all weathers. Great jacket kept me bone dry.

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
My local one is pretty useless, they had no parkas and the spotty teen so called shop assistant says that's all they have,
Will look online and take a look at the jack wolfskin too, thanks.

Big G

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 3, 2015
Cleveland UK
My local one is pretty useless, they had no parkas and the spotty teen so called shop assistant says that's all they have,
Will look online and take a look at the jack wolfskin too, thanks.

Aye, you'll need to a wear a fleece or jumper under neath, i wouldn't say mine thin, pretty thickish with a net lining.

If you know your size, should be ok buying online, but if you buy from sportsdirect, i think they give you vouchers in stead of cash if you need to return for refund.

leaky5

Maker Plus
Jul 8, 2014
Basildon
Look up Dutch Navy or Airforce parkas. I have just started to wear one as my winter coat, although it has not really been cold enough for it yet, it is really warm, quite long, navy blue and heavy. Got mine new for £45 and is also supposed to be water proof, again not really had a chance to test that yet.

Statts

Nov 9, 2016
Tynemouth
www.forested.org.uk
You can get blue (RAF) and black (RN) PCS (personal clothing system) MVP (goretex) smocks quite cheap on Ebay if you know your sizing in CM. It's always height first then chest e.g. 190/112. As said above you'd need a fleece etc underneath

Last edited:

Tonyuk

Settler
Nov 30, 2011
Scotland
Primark were doing some nice and thick ones last year, only £30 and nice and warm so i took the chance and it still looks basically brand new today. The hood has the same thickness of lining as the body so its well toasty.

The czech army parkas can be picked up for about £20 and they look good, with the fake fur liner being removable for a summer overjacket.

Tonyuk

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Thanks for the suggestions. will get the tape measure out and see what my cm sizes are, my local primark didn't seem to do much at the moment,
popped into Debenhams earlier and found a crag hoppers prker for £80, was waterproof and wind proof but didn't feel that thick, on way out I came across a 3 in 1 that was made by Maine, ticked all boxes except not being a parka, if all else fails I might plumb for that one

Leshy

Jun 14, 2016
Wiltshire
Thanks for the suggestions. will get the tape measure out and see what my cm sizes are, my local primark didn't seem to do much at the moment,
popped into Debenhams earlier and found a crag hoppers prker for £80, was waterproof and wind proof but didn't feel that thick, on way out I came across a 3 in 1 that was made by Maine, ticked all boxes except not being a parka, if all else fails I might plumb for that one

Cragghoppers are a good option.
They're on the pricey side but they are good quality. And if you always follow manufacturer instructions in washing and re-proofing with Grainger's etc , they offer a lifetime warranty on their garments.
👍👍

cbrdave

Dec 2, 2011
South East Kent.
Yeah, I had a craghoppers jacket before and was really happy with it, wife gave it to charity thinking I didn't wear it , it was summer and I used it for autumn winter!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE