recomendations for a digital compact budget £150

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jonnie drake

Settler
Nov 20, 2009
west yorkshire
I would like as fine a level of detail as possible, good focus and range. Not too bothered about losing out on size to get better pics. I was looking at the canon range? a lot of people seem to be happy with there compacts.

Jericho

Tenderfoot
Feb 12, 2010
N.Wales
You'd be hard pressed to beat anything from the Canon PowerShot G range from 7 up, but, if you want something small and simple with a fantastic lens, take a look at the Casio Exilim range.

Thoth

Nomad
Aug 5, 2008
Hertford, Hertfordshire
Have a think about what sort of battery the cameras use. You can't recharge some of them in the middle of nowhere. I use a Canon Powershot A520 partly because I can put AA batteries in it.

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
The Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7 is a very nice camera with a good lens.
It has also HD video what is a big plus. If you dont need the videomode the TZ6 is almost the same for a lower price.

tinkerer

Forager
Mar 11, 2010
bournemouth
The Panasonic Lumix DMC TZ7 is a very nice camera with a good lens.
It has also HD video what is a big plus. If you dont need the videomode the TZ6 is almost the same for a lower price.

i have one of these takes very nice pictures, easy to use, only downside is that its a rechargeable battery (cant use aa) . but for the money all in all a good buy . the viewfinder is a good size and will take a 4gb memcard which is loads.got mine from pixmania.co.uk.

Lasse

Nomad
Aug 17, 2007
Belgium
As said by others, think about the battery! Most compacts have good enough optics these days. More important to think about practical details. If you want the best optics and artistic possibilities, the only option is a dslr anyway.
AA's are cheap so you can carry as much as you like, they hold enough power if they're good quality ones and if you would run out, you can buy them anywhere on the planet.
I might have to buy a new compact soon, am looking for a rugged, minimalistic model with AA batteries and an optic viewfinder around your price mark. So far haven't found anything I like and they still produce...

Pepperana

Dec 3, 2009
Netherlands
I had a Canon Ixus 860is and a bought a spare battery on ebay for about 10 pounds.It last longer than the original one.
So AA battery's etc are not so good.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE