Recomend me a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
Wow, thanks for the response guys. Mora it is then!
I think people are right with starting with a low cost knife, i dont think i want to run before i can walk

Cheers people

shaggystu

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2003
Derbyshire
0 - 50 another vote for the hultafors HVK (the orange handled one, i've just recently got one myself and IMO it's a slightly better knife than the basic moras (moras are at least twice the price too)
50 - 100 i really like my kellam wolverine, iirc it was £60
100 + no idea, i've never spent that amount of money on a knife

ged

Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
Whatever you get, look after it. Even stainless blades can't just be left to their own devices, in fact some of them can pit quite badly if neglected. Don't sharpen it to death.

If it's just to be for weekend activities, after you've used it for the weekend clean off any dirt and vegetable material then give it a wipe with light oil before putting it away. Never put it away wet. Don't leave it in its sheath if it's to be stored for any length of time, wrap it in something like a slightly oily rag or oily newspaper and put it in a box so it won't hurt anyone who happens to come across it without realizing that it's a sharp. If it's carbon steel it will probably eventually get a darkish patina which will protect it to some extent, but don't expect miracles. My old Scout knife is getting a nice patina now, but I have had it for over fifty years...

Wow, thanks for the response guys. Mora it is then!
I think people are right with starting with a low cost knife, i dont think i want to run before i can walk

Cheers people

no running with Knives :slap: :goodluck:

but seriuosly a Mora for £10 could do your whole Bushcrafting career once you know its few limitations etc (which all knives have just different ones)

better question only you can answer is

What Knife do I WANT
What Knife do I NEED
What Knife can I AFFORD

these can have the same answer or 3 different ones depending on you

ATB

Duncan

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
mate, if it's your first one.... nothing more than a pukko. For what I have understood about knives is that you spoil your first one very fast, because you;re rubbish at using them. Mora Clipper, Mora bushraft 2010 if you want to spend more, sami pukka in leather sheath... then you learn how to use knife, how to take care of one, how to sharpen (that's not so easy), then save funds and buy one of expensive stuff that is more addorable than practical............ My advise.. Andy

I agree with this.

One point I will make is that when you progress a fulltang is not as important as people will lead you to believe.

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
Whatever you get, look after it. Even stainless blades can't just be left to their own devices, in fact some of them can pit quite badly if neglected. Don't sharpen it to death.

If it's just to be for weekend activities, after you've used it for the weekend clean off any dirt and vegetable material then give it a wipe with light oil before putting it away. Never put it away wet. Don't leave it in its sheath if it's to be stored for any length of time, wrap it in something like a slightly oily rag or oily newspaper and put it in a box so it won't hurt anyone who happens to come across it without realizing that it's a sharp. If it's carbon steel it will probably eventually get a darkish patina which will protect it to some extent, but don't expect miracles. My old Scout knife is getting a nice patina now, but I have had it for over fifty years...

Thanks for the tips; some good advice there

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
Hi again people;

well i bought a knife, i went for a web-tex from http://survivalknivesuk.co.uk used it last weekend camping and it was really good, the weather wasnt exactly great though! haha

my only question is, do all knives need sharpening when you first buy them?

Last edited:

bushwacker bob

Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Hi again people;

well i bought a knife, i went for a web-tex from www.survivalknivesuk.co.uk used it last weekend camping and it was really good, the weather wasnt exactly great though! haha

my only question is, do all knives need sharpening when you first buy them?
Should have brought a mora. They are recommended by a fair few folk on here.

Last edited:

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
Should have brought a mora. They are recommended by a fair few folk on here.

I am going to buy a Mora aswell, it was just i like the look of the web-text, some may say its a bit of a gimmick with the features its got but i found the knife really good.

but rest assured i am going to get a Mora, dont think you can beat having enough knives! its very exciting getting a new one!

Johnnyboy1971

Dec 24, 2010
Yorkshire
I would have taken the advice. As much as you like the look of something if there is no feedback i would think twice.

Personally i would have bought the Mora found its limitations which are few in genral use. If you find it doesnt do what is required then look elsewhere maybe even a custom job which dont have to be as expensive as you think.

I have quite a few and until recently found myself going back to either my F1 or my Trapper. I now have the knife i have been waiting for and it still doesnt fulfill all my requirments.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I am going to buy a Mora aswell, it was just i like the look of the web-text, some may say its a bit of a gimmick with the features its got but i found the knife really good.

but rest assured i am going to get a Mora, dont think you can beat having enough knives! its very exciting getting a new one!

And no one should take that thrill away from you. Enjoy your new knife. I've read much about Moras and seen lots of pictures on this forum and over on BCUSA. They seem to tic all the boxes as many posters on this thread have said. But after all that I've NEVER owned one or even SEEN one in the flesh. And I've been quite happy for 55 years.

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
And no one should take that thrill away from you. Enjoy your new knife. I've read much about Moras and seen lots of pictures on this forum and over on BCUSA. They seem to tic all the boxes as many posters on this thread have said. But after all that I've NEVER owned one or even SEEN one in the flesh. And I've been quite happy for 55 years.

Thanks, the knife was only £23.95 delivered so its not the end of the world if i get bored of it, its better than spunking £100's on something i dont like. I intend on buying a few different ones. Thanks for the nice comment

and thanks to the others who;ve taken the time to comment, i wasnt ignoring the recommendations, sometimes you've got to try a few yourself first i guess

Bartnmax

May 28, 2012
Melbourne Australia
Knives can be a very personal item. What suits one person may be totally wrong for another.
They can be designed for a specific purpose or a general compromise 'all-rounder'.
My suggestion is to first learn a bit about knives so that you can make an infomed selection when looking at them.
Then I'd suggest having a think about what you intend using it for.

When looking at a knife I firmly believe that quality is your absolute #1 priority. I doubt anyone would argue that one.
So just what is quality? Well, try breaking the knife down into it's various components when thinking about it.
F'risnatnce;

Blade.
There are several different blade shapes. Which one suits you is a personal issue. However, no matter which one you choose there's a few things to keep in mind. 1st of all the steel it's made from. Too hard & you'll find it prone to chipping & hard to sharpen in the field. It could even break on you, & remembering that we're talking about what may possibly be the most important tool you'll ever carry, you really do not want that happening. If, on the other hand, it's too soft it may not hold an edge well, could be prone to bending, etc & may dent easilly.
I'm certainly no expert so I'll be quite happy for someone with better knowledge to correct me here but generally a hardness of between Rockwell 58 & R60 is usually ok. Lower than 58 can be too soft & higher than 60 can bo too brittle. These are only rough figures. Some guys have speicific preferences for hardness such as R58.9, etc. What level of hardness is best will also depend on what base metal the blade is made from.
Carbon steel blades tend to take an edge better than stainless but also take more looking after as they can rust. Which one you go for could be dictated by several factors. If it's for woods work then carbon steel with it's better edge charateristics may be better than stainless, but if it's for use around salt/brackish water than stainless may be better. I'd also recommend using stainless if the knife is going to be carried as a 'necker' due to the salt in your sweat which can rust/dull a carbon steel blade. Full tang blades are generally considered preferable to a hidden tang but a well made hidden tang knife (such as the swedish Mora's) may be far better than a poorly made full tang blade. I've seen a poorly made, supposed 'full tang' blade where the tang was actually welded to the blde (& pretty poorly at that). First time it faces some stiff work the blade just fell off.
One thing I would recommend - stay away from 'do all' Rabo type blades. A good blade is designed to cut - that's all. if you want a saw - buy a saw. Done go for sawback blades, etc as rarely do they work well IMO. Others may differ on that view but that's my view for what it's worth.

Handle/grip.
Many people like modern materials such as micarta, etc. Others prefer the traditional look & feel of wood, etc.
Whatever material is used you don't want it shrinking too fast. Most knife scales will shrink to some extent over a period of time but if they shrink to fast then gaps open up where bacteria can hide, just waiting for their chance to stick it up ya. They can also come loose, chip/dent, etc.
The grip also has to be comfortable in your hand.

Sheath.
This item can be almost as important as the knife itself. Last thing you want when you really have to rely on yer knife is to find the bloody thing has fallen out & is lost whgen you need it most. You also dont want that fine, sharp edge dulling because it comes into contact with poorly placed rivets each time it's drawn out or replaced. You also dont want that edge cutting through the stitching, etc.
Some prefer traditional; leather but there's also oithger excellent materials such as nylon & kydex out there that definitely have their uses. Even the humble plastic sheath (as seen with the Moar knives) has it's place - as long as it's well made (which the Moar's are).

So, learning the individual components of a knife can help you make an assessment of the quality of the Knife your looking at.
It's not just about having a knife that will last, it's about having a knife you can trust to use without injuring yourself. An injury in the wilds could turn septic very fast & that could potentially be life threatening. You really dojnt need to have to cope wiyth yer own knife trying to do you in.

Generally most guys (& girls) tend to have at least 2 types of knives with them most of the time.
A main knife being a fixed blade, and a folding backup such as one of the swiss army knives (SAKs).
Some may carry multi-tools in place of the SAK these days - again, personal choice.
With regards fixed blade knifes I believe the best blade shape is a mid sized drop point blade, ideally with a good scandi grind.
That doesn't mean other blade types/grinds aren't any good. Quite to the contrary. There are some excellent clip points, etc available.
There's many different fixed blade knives available & one of the most popular is the Ka-Bar BK-2. These are an excellent bushcraft knife but are also not cheap. As a budget starter it's really pretty hard to go past the swedish Mora's. How the hell those canny swedes can make such good quality knives for the palrty sum they cost is beyond me. I have 3; a Companion MG840 (carbon steel blade), Companion MG860 (stainless blkade), & companion F (stainless blade with Blaze Orange handle/sheath colouring. All excellent starter knives & dirt cheap to boot.
One of these would be perfect as a starter for you IMO.

I also have both multi-tools & SAKs which I carry as backups/utility knives.
Apart from that, some of the other blades I often carry (not all at the same time mind you, or under the same circumstances) are a Bahco Laplander hand saw, a Gransfors Brux Small Forrest Axe, several machettes, and a customised Cold Steel Trail Hawk (Tomahawk). Then there's also the saw blades I occasionally carry to use with a 'made on location' bucksaw. What I carry & when depends on where I'm going, how long I'm going for, whom is going with me (& sharing the load), etc.

So, now I've confused the bejesus out of you (aplogies for that) my first recomendation would be to get yerself a Mora as a good quality, cheap starter fixed blade. I'd then suggest backing up with one of the SAKs or a Multi-tool such as a leatherman.
The Bahco Laplanbder saws are reletively cheap also & are a valuable addition to anyone's pack. They take up bugger all space in your pack & you can do so much with em.
Lastly I'd suggest a good axe., It's hard to go past the Gransfors Brux products there even though they are premium priced.
They are definitely worth it & that quality will be appreciated when you really need it.

So, Mora, SAK/Multi, Bahco Laplander, & GB axe - the complete blade kit that'll do just about anything you'll ever need to do with a blade.

In time you may wish to have a think about a nice 'premium' production fixed blade such as the BK-2, or you may even elect to go for a 'custom' jobbie. Some never have need for anything more than a Mora - eniterly up to you. You may also wish to go for a nice 'Hawk' down the track (they're lightewr to carry than an axe when hiking.

So many options - but the Mora is where I'd recommend starting.

Bill.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE