Recomend me a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushynewbie

May 13, 2012
England
Hi people; i'm new here so hello to all.

im looking at getting myself a knife, it will be my first investment into a knife so please be gentle! i've looked around various sites and read numerous posts on here and i'm pretty baffled to be honest.

The knife will mainly be used weekends for bushcraft type activties. Budget isnt a problem, but obviously i dont want to spend hundres upon hundreds on my first one.

what do people think about Jack Pyke, i've seen one from their platinum range i like (forgot the name) and also the web-tex steel of fire? i was going to go for the gerber but not sure i will now after reading some comments on here about it.

so how about recommendations for
<£50
£50 -> £100
over £100

Thanks for reading

Prawnster

Jun 24, 2008
St. Helens
<£50 Mora. Or one of those Finnish Wilderness puukkos. Got my Dad one of them and very nice it is for the money.

£50->£100 I'll say Enzo. Never had one but I know they're very highly regarded.

£100+ Ontario blackbird SK-5. Not everyone's cup of tea but its what I've got and I love it. Only just over a ton as well.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
Im not familiar with the two that you mentioned but id go for something fairly cheap for your first knife in carbon steel and use it as a learning curve for sharpening maintaining etc and that will also give you a better idea of what you require from a knife for when you spend more.
Most people will recomend a mora brand knife there dirt cheap and perfect for most needs. Do a search on the net and see what you think

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
mate, if it's your first one.... nothing more than a pukko. For what I have understood about knives is that you spoil your first one very fast, because you;re rubbish at using them. Mora Clipper, Mora bushraft 2010 if you want to spend more, sami pukka in leather sheath... then you learn how to use knife, how to take care of one, how to sharpen (that's not so easy), then save funds and buy one of expensive stuff that is more addorable than practical............ My advise.. Andy

Simon1

Nomad
Nov 17, 2005
Maidstone area in kent
I'd go for a Mora for cheap knife, A Fjallraven F1 for mid range, and I'd go for a Pathfinder 1, by Blind horse knives, top end!!!
That's just my opinion!!
oops sorry wrong F, I ment fallkniven f1

Last edited:

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I'd get a cheaper but no less capable knife like a Mora Triflex for my first.

Its easy to sharpen, very comfy to use and takes a great edge. If you aren't that hot at sharpening a knife yet, it'll be a good teacher and if you wreck it its not too expensive.

Frederick89

Tenderfoot
Feb 15, 2010
Modena, Italy
My suggestion would be

<£50: Mora or factory made puukko
£50-£100: higher quality factory made scandi to handmade by a smith
>£100: handmade scandi or puukko

Lifthasir

Forager
Jan 30, 2006
East Yorks
sub £50 - Hultafors HVK Orange Handle (£6 delivered from Amazon) - I think these are better than Mora knives - for £6, they are certainly better value. Quality steel, great edge and comfy handle.

If you want a nice wooden handle, get something like a Helle Harding. But I don't see the point when knives like the Hultafors are basically a fiver.

Also, with the high factory churn out with knives like Hultafors and Mora, you can pretty much expect consistent hardening and tempering and quality control.

Lynx

Nomad
Jun 5, 2010
Wellingborough, Northants
Try the new Mora Robust then use it for some time before buying anything else. That will also give you time to learn more about different knives and their uses. They cost around £14.95.

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Mora to start with for sure.
50 - 100 Lapplander or nice Puukko
100 + ? Something nice and practical. Rob Evans, Duncan FGYT, HillBill ,
Shing , Nektarios. Find one that fits your hand and don't love it so much
that you never use it.
Take your time, ask friends , handle many knives before you decide.
Cheers , Simon

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I don't really know the prices in the UK so I'll just have to stay with the good advise already posted. Buy a reasonably inexpensive knife (notice though that I said "inexpensive" and not "cheap") to begin with. One of my first knives as a child was a Boy Scout type knife made by Craftsman (a Sears company) and I dearly wish I still had that knife. I currently own several knives but some are collectors rather than users so I'll limit my discussion to those you'd more likely find useful in the context of this thread.

Folders:
1. Buck 110 (or a similar knife)
2. Larger Trapper style knife (mine is a Case)
3. Medium sized (3" main blade) Stockman (My current one is Uncle Henry)

Fixed blades:
1. Any solid 4"-6" carbon steel blade that YOU like and feels good in YOUR hand.

Just don't spend too much initially as your first knife will definitely not be your last. However, you may well find yourself coming back to it years (or even decades) from now with fond memories.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I'd join the Mora worshippers. Then you may either buy a fancier -- it won't be significantly better by most objective use standards -- knfe, or even a blade and handle it yourself (you can get Mora blades, for about the same as the knives cost).

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
You can often buy the Hultafors in tool shops. I've got one. I've wrecked it, but not going to cry over the minimal cost. I gave away my Mora, not because I didn't like it but because I'd made myself something different

Also, you're not limited to only carrying one knife. I also carry a SAK and an Opinel #8, which I use for food prep or carving.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE