Recognizing Drowning

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
As the title says. As the weather gets warmer this is more likely to come up. Mods if this is the wrong forum please move it to the appropriate place.

[h=1]Recognize the Real Signs of Drowning and Save a Life[/h]
Jason Fitzpatrick PFollowOUnfollow 7/03/10 2:00pm 7/03/10 2:00pm g 55,743Edit

ku-medium.jpg

ku-medium.jpg

The splashing, the yelling, the struggle for life, everyone knows that's what a drowning person looks like, right? Wrong. Outside of Hollywood sets, nobody drowns dramatically. Learn how to spot the signs of drowning and save a life.
Photo by Kevin Dooley.
Note: The comments in response to this post raise a very important point. If you're not trained and able to properly rescue a drowning victim there is a high probability you'll end up a victim yourself. Call for help before leaping in and leave the actual rescue to a trained professional if at all possible.
We've all been conditioned to believe that a drowning person will flail about, scream out, and otherwise draw attention to themselves so they can be helped. On the surface that would seem to make sense, if we were stuck out in a lake or struggling in the deep end of a big pool we'd certainly make a scene to get some help. Except drowning doesn't look like the dramatized version you see in movies. Drowning in real life is so undramatic that 10% of accidental drownings happen within 25 yards or less of people who could have helped. The following guide to recognizing Instinctive Drowning Response is excerpted from On Scene (Fall 2006), the journal of the U.S. Coast Guard.

1. Except in rare circumstances, drowning people are physiologically unable to call out for help. The respiratory system was designed for breathing. Speech is the secondary or overlaid function. Breathing must be fulfilled, before speech occurs.
  2. Drowning people's mouths alternately sink below and reappear above the surface of the water. The mouths of drowning people are not above the surface of the water long enough for them to exhale, inhale, and call out for help. When the drowning people's mouths are above the surface, they exhale and inhale quickly as their mouths start to sink below the surface of the water.
  3. Drowning people cannot wave for help. Nature instinctively forces them to extend their arms laterally and press down on the water's surface. Pressing down on the surface of the water, permits drowning people to leverage their bodies so they can lift their mouths out of the water to breathe.
  4. Throughout the Instinctive Drowning Response, drowning people cannot voluntarily control their arm movements. Physiologically, drowning people who are struggling on the surface of the water cannot stop drowning and perform voluntary movements such as waving for help, moving toward a rescuer, or reaching out for a piece of rescue equipment.
  5. From beginning to end of the Instinctive Drowning Response people's bodies remain upright in the water, with no evidence of a supporting kick. Unless rescued by a trained lifeguard, these drowning people can only struggle on the surface of the water from 20 to 60 seconds before submersion occurs.
Before a person has reached the involuntary stages of drowning they may call out for help because they are in what is known as "aquatic distress" and still have enough energy and oxygen to move about. Not all people use that brief period where they are distressed but not actually drowning yet to call for help, however, and many move quickly from distress to drowning without so much as a yell. Just because a person looks OK doesn't mean they aren't about to slip under. Keep a close eye on children and if you call out to your buddy off the dock and he doesn't respond don't assume he's just treading water.
If all this talk of drowning made you realize you should probably learn CPR you can visit the American Red Cross training portal to find a local class or if you just need to dust them off a little you can check out some of the CPR-related tips we've shared like checking the strength of your CPR compressions with empty milk bottles and using the beat of Stayin' Alive to time your compressions.

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
This was copied from an American link hence the links to the American rad Cross for CPR training. I'm sure the British red Cross or some other agensy there also offer the trainig.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Good post - the other point is to remember

Wade, throw, reach or row
- swimming to a drowning person is a last resort - a panicking person is a real danger to the rescuer. As well as CPR, a "bronze medallion" or similar in water based rescue is a good skill to develop

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
the correct order is:

talk
reach
wade
throw
row
go tow --- livebaiting
helo

As taught on Swiftwater & Flood Rescue Technician courses (DEFRA level 3)

Although sometimes throw before wade --- due to current and/or topography.

Last edited:

santaman2000

Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Good post - the other point is to remember

- swimming to a drowning person is a last resort - a panicking person is a real danger to the rescuer. As well as CPR, a "bronze medallion" or similar in water based rescue is a good skill to develop

Absolutely right BR. the order the Boy Scouts taught was:
1. Reach = with your hand, a sick, or whatever, from the shore or pier, etc.
2. Throw = Throw a rope, a Life Ring or other flotation device
3. Row = Self explanatory
4. Go! = last resort to swim out to help (preferably with a lifeguard's bouy in tow)

ashby001

Forager
May 24, 2013
Faversham
Good post
now I think of it there was one instance where my friend fell of a pier into about 7 ft of water (he's 6ft) so it wasn't overly deep but he can't swim and he barely splashed at all and no sound whatsoever. 20 seconds later and he was under and I just jumped in to push him up so my other friend could pull him out. We were quite young thought it was hilarious he fell off and forgot he couldn't swim and panic set in hence the jumping in as we both could have easily just lent down to pull him out. Just so you know it wasn't a proper pier with barriers more like a jetty with a big hole to let a river into the sea. For all those local to me it was down in sea salter
it was a bit of a wake up call of how dangerous it can be even though we were 10 yards from the shoreline

munkiboi182

Jan 28, 2012
taverham, thorpe marriott, norfolk
excellent post, really useful. on a side note, i wouldn't recommend anyone ever swim out to help a drowning person unless you have some form of flotation device. my grandad drowned whilst trying to save a drowning man. the original victim made it back to the bank but my grandad got caught up in the reeds after exerting all his energy pulling the bloke above the water.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
We did a kind of advanced lifesaving as standard in australia. Country kids, so the practical bit was done in a river with steep muddy banks, full clothing on.

Wow, that is a real lesson in how hard it is to keep a (non-struggling) person afloat, tow them to shore and get them out of the water. I was a strong farmer's son, could lift 180kg at 16, but I puked my guts up from exhaustion and exertion after getting my 'drowning victim' ashore. Maybe having so little body fat I sank even in salt water had something to do with it.

We were taught to make a flotation device from a pair of jeans/trousers (this was pre-ripped jeans being in fashion!). Tie each leg at the foot end with overhand knot. Hold by waistband, swing overhead and down into the water (so the legs are sticking up). Hold waistband below water. It's amazing how long this lasts - minutes, I seem to recall.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE