reclaimed kitchen knife mk 2

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rickety-root

Tenderfoot
Dec 25, 2006
leicester
After looking at my brother's copy of David Boye's 'Step-by-step Knife Making' I thought I would like to have a go at making something like his utility knife. I really liked the shape and thought it looking quite similar in shape to a traditional chef's knife.

1) Got a good quality (but old and rusted) Sabatier 10" chef's knife from a charity shop.
IMGP0796.jpg

2) Removed the original handle which was poorly fiited and wobbley, marked the outline and ground, very slowly, ensuring blade never got hot, glowed or turned blue.
IMGP0803.jpg

3) Ground finger ridges and fitted rough handle of local birch using brass pins.
IMGP0835.jpg

4) Shaped the handle using sand paper (glued to a piece of thick dowl for the finger ridges) and rubbed with sesame oil. Gave it a final sharpening. The blade is fairly thick so it is no good really for wood work but is a fine general purpose utility knife. Sharp enough to butcher a hare (see DIY tripod thread)
IMGP0923.jpg

IMGP0934.jpg

5) Made a simple belt sheath - not finished yet but I used it on a camping trip.
IMGP0919.jpg

All in all, I am generally pleased with the knife, and not too bad for a charity shop knife and about 3 hours of work (not including glue-drying time). Not quite a David Boye knife, mind you!

fredcraft

Nomad
Jan 26, 2007
Quebec
Nice knife ! :You_Rock_

It falls in the line of knifves I really like. Those I'm not scared to use because I'm scared of damaging it ! Been speaking about it for a lil while, it's really time i get working on one for myself !

Cheers,

edispilff

Forager
Mar 6, 2007
between the trees
There's a tend about to happen....

A charity knife off!

That is a really cool idea.. never thought about converting an old knife into something newer and more usable... :You_Rock_

great great work

edispilff

Robbo

Nomad
Aug 22, 2005
Darkest Scotland,
My wife has several old sabatier cooks knives left over from her days as a chef, she says I'm welcome to them, soooo...

Are there any special considerations for doing this with a stainless steel blade rather than a carbon steel blade?

Also the Ferrule seems to be alloy cast over the blade I'd need to remove this and ensure that the replacement wooden scales fitted right up to the blade and covered the undentation in the top of the tang wehere the ally was, anyone care to comment/offer advice etc?

Andy

markheolddu

Settler
Sep 10, 2006
Llanelli
Robbo head on over to the British Blades forum, lots of good advice over there.
Good luck, give it a try is my advice.

Mark

beowolf762

Settler
Sep 4, 2005
U.P. Michigan
Very well done, nice knife! !:)
P.S. Could you resize the piccies and give us dial up guys a break? You have nice carpetting, but I don't need to see so much of it. :swordfigh

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ive plenty of old butchers knives but not the skill to do that.

you are welcome to any if you fancy a go

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE