Recent Spoonage

SimonD

Settler
Oct 4, 2010
Lincolnshire
They're all lovely as usual. I have to say that you manage to produce spoons and spatulas at a prolific rate and exceptional quality. Just out of interest, what would your guess be on the number you've carved over the years?

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
They're all lovely as usual. I have to say that you manage to produce spoons and spatulas at a prolific rate and exceptional quality. Just out of interest, what would your guess be on the number you've carved over the years?

Cheers Simon, i have no idea how many ive carved, i dread to think what the number could be

Dec 16, 2007
When you loose your piece of titanium on a trip into the bush, that is if you do get out and do Bushcraft stuff, you will realise what a wooden spoon is all about. :)

Well I do get out and do stuff in the woods. I dont waste my time putting thousands of posts on a forum from my chairbourne hideaway. I only got the metal spork as I break plastic ones cnat be arsed to make one and the spork is tied to my smock so I shall not lose it.

I thank you.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
Think I'll make one of the medieval spoons when we are out on our weekly bimble on Friday Kepis mate as I have been wanting one for display purposes for ages.
The ash log that I picked up last time worked out well as I made two good size axe handles from it, one is for Son of Goliath, and one for stock.

post#1561 a sweet spot.

forestwalker

Well I do get out and do stuff in the woods. I dont waste my time putting thousands of posts on a forum from my chairbourne hideaway. I only got the metal spork as I break plastic ones cnat be arsed to make one and the spork is tied to my smock so I shall not lose it.
I think you are missing the point

... a wooden spoon made from a scrap of wood will be put almost zero load on the environment.
... a wooden spoon that is forgotten at a campsite will degrade gracefully in a few short years
... there is a great pleasure for some of us in making kit ourselves, just for the making
... there is for some a great pleasure in using an item we made ourselves
... by making kit yourself you gain the self-reliance in knowing that is something happens you can make another

For me it is the pleasure of making and using, mostly: in a few minutes I will eat breakfast, from a wooden bowl I turned myself, using a spoon I carved myself. This gives me a small everyday pleasure, just like driving a Jag, a Porche or a series Land Rover to work give some an everyday pleasure. I can't speak for Kepis, but my impression is that he posts pictures as an inspiration rather than for brag points. In some way the same reason I teach: not becuause it gives me a pleasure knowing I that know more than my students, but because it gives me pleasure sharing that knowledge, and in seeing people gain knowledge.

There is also the self-reliance angle: if my wooden spoon breaks I will simply make another, about as good. For me that is important, not being in the situation of having to have any (or at least many) of the items I bring. Just like it gives me confidence in my wilderness travel knowing that if I loose my shelter, my matches, my firesteel, my compass, my sleeping bag, my cookpot, my axe, my knife or even my spoon I know what to do to get by without them, making replacements or doing things in a different way. Knowing that without a map and compass I will still find my way, knowing that I can sleep as warm even without the tarp, hammock or sleeping bag is a pleasure and comfort to me, and turns the small disasters into minor annoyances and the forest into my home.

Now, I gather you have choosen a different path, a different way to go about your life. For you a titanium spork may be a wonder of convenience and utility, for me my wooden spoon is a symbol of my choosen goal and path in life. This is a good thing, you have made your choice and I think none here begrudges you that. Please do us the favour of not begrudging us our choosen way of going about our lives.

Last edited:
Dec 16, 2007
Now, I gather you have choosen a different path, a different way to go about your life. For you a titanium spork may be a wonder of convenience and utility, for me my wooden spoon is a symbol of my choosen goal and path in life. This is a good thing, you have made your choice and I think none here begrudges you that. Please do us the favour of not begrudging us our choosen way of going about our lives.

Nope no different path in life or anything like that. I just wanted a spoon that I cant break and I can make chopsticks quite well seeing as they were eating with these before we even started to think about spoons.
I don't begrudge any one there chosen way of life and I never begrudge Kepis of his spoon making that floats his boat then good on him.

What seems to be getting at me is that this forum is now getting so far away from bushcraft it is silly there are so many people asking bone questions on what kit is best what fire burns well what knife to use what weather to wear a jumper in etc. Why don't we just search the terabytes of information out there on the internet and go out and have fun learning what is really just camping in the end.

Plus it is a bit boring looking at pictures of spoons, leather work, knives etc after awhile as they are all the same in the end plus it is always the same people giving the back slaps on how well they have done.
Now if I get a bit sarcastic about this then that is MY nature and if you don't like it I don't give a toss. When the S H T F there will be loads of spoons in drawers in kitchens the world over Im sure I can find one plus the lighter to light my fire if it gets to a stage where I cant eat or light a fire would I want to live in that world?

If the mods want to say something feel free.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Nope no different path in life or anything like that. I just wanted a spoon that I cant break and I can make chopsticks quite well seeing as they were eating with these before we even started to think about spoons.
I don't begrudge any one there chosen way of life and I never begrudge Kepis of his spoon making that floats his boat then good on him.

What seems to be getting at me is that this forum is now getting so far away from bushcraft it is silly there are so many people asking bone questions on what kit is best what fire burns well what knife to use what weather to wear a jumper in etc. Why don't we just search the terabytes of information out there on the internet and go out and have fun learning what is really just camping in the end.

Plus it is a bit boring looking at pictures of spoons, leather work, knives etc after awhile as they are all the same in the end plus it is always the same people giving the back slaps on how well they have done.
Now if I get a bit sarcastic about this then that is MY nature and if you don't like it I don't give a toss. When the S H T F there will be loads of spoons in drawers in kitchens the world over Im sure I can find one plus the lighter to light my fire if it gets to a stage where I cant eat or light a fire would I want to live in that world?

If the mods want to say something feel free.

Wow -
I do not understand how looking at inspirational works of practical art can get boring....
Nor do I understand why you opened this thread if you personally find this kind of thread boring
Nor do I understand why you have to make a bone coment saying how this kind of thread is full of bone questions when it is obviously a thread designed to showcase what can be done and the questions are about "how can I do it" - a natural thread development.
OK - if you want to buy kit and get out there with commercial kit - fine by me :)
I prefer kit with "soul" to match my environment, stuff (however badly made) that is of my own making and threads like this ... well - I find them inspirational.
If you dont like this kind of thread - dont bother opening them, grab your commercial kit and enjoy the extra time in the bush:)

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Swampy , I can't help feeling that there is a reason you are out on your own in the Bush.
Lose the bitterness and your life will improve no end.I also think you may be confusing Bushcraft with Survival.
For me Bushcraft is all about making and crafting for the pleasure of creating and using (sometimes) very
beautiful utensils for everyday eating and cooking.
Encouragement and compliments from friends at home or on here are life-affirming and lovely to receive.
You would recognise this feeling when you get some tolerance and attract some friends.
Simon.
PS I have posted a thread in your honour.

woodspirits

Jul 24, 2009
West Midlands UK
www.facebook.com
good outlook, well done. :)

That is an empty cup of nature loving I hear there swampy, a lot of people just enjoy the skill of it or think its therapeutic, but for me the main reason to make spoons is because I love to make things in this world that improve it and bring some beauty back, And IMO a titanium spork does not give the satisfactory feeling, nor the closeness to nature which I think on a wilderness trip is one of the most important things.
Plus why buy everything if you can make it, just as you want. I always say it like this, its good, but not yet good enough,
but perhaps that is not part of everyone career ;), but it made me a bit sad to see your comment, but hey not everyone needs perfection in their gear and in their knowledge to be able to enjoy the time outdoors, perhaps I'm just making it hard on myself ^^

Yours sincerely Ruud

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE