Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Thought id post up a couple of pics of some recent spoonage

First ones are made from Yew and are based on the US GI Issue spoon shape

DSCN4868.jpg

DSCN4861.jpg

DSCN4839.jpg

DSCN4842.jpg

Another in Yew, made a boo boo on this one though, carved it upside down, the bottom of the spoon with the nice grain, should have been the top and inner bowl - oops

DSCN4829.jpg

DSCN4830.jpg

Couple in Cherry

DSCN4820.jpg

DSCN4824.jpg

This one had a hidden grub channel so it cant be used for food, but rather than waste the effort, i carried on and sealed the offending section with saw dust & Cyno:rolleyes:,it will just get used for display now.

DSCN4817.jpg

DSCN4816.jpg

DSCN4813.jpg

Serving spoon in Poplar with a tooled finish

DSCN4793.jpg

Trio of medieval style spoons in Hazel, all featuring a tooled finish and octagonal handle

DSCN4785.jpg

Thanks for having a peek people.

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
Lovely spoons Kepis, I always enjoy looking at your stuff, seeing the fact it is at itself beautiful and the pictures you take of them are so nice and clean and in good scenery, tell us your secret ^^, or stay mysterious thats your call.
And do I see correctly that you carve out the outer shape first and then start hollowing out the bowl, is it smarter to do this then the other way around? and why?
Yours sincerely, the question man ( I'm sorry :confused::rolleyes:) Ruud

Biker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
You really do make me sick with the quality of your spoon making (not to mention everything else you turn your hand to)

The singular spoon I made I would be ashamed to stir paint with it it's that bad, put me off trying anything thereafter in that field.

My favs are the cherry ones as well, but those medieval ones come a colse second... oh sod it! They're all bl00dy brilliant!

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
Cheers guys, appreciate the comments

@ MountainM - the Yew ones are for decorative use only.

@ Red - cheers mate

@Biker - if it looks like a spoon and works like a spoon, it has to be a spoon, heck, on one of our trips out Hugo, used a wood shaving as a spoon, didnt look particulary elegant, but it worked just as well as any of the above:)

@Grey-Array - correct, i carve the outer shape first then hollow the bowl, i know others do it the other way way round, all depends on which way you find more comfortable i guess

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
They are all lovely.
Hard to decide which I like best. Cherry I think. Lovely grain.
Whose spoon knives do you use? I think I need to change the Mora for
something better.
Cheers , Simon

Dec 16, 2007
I got a titanium spork from light my fire. It is nice and I did nothing for it.
Cant see the point in wasting time making one when I can get one from the internet.

Chiseller

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 5, 2011
West Riding
Cant see the point in wasting time making one when I can get one from the internet.

A waste of time is surely a matter of opinion ? Folk either have the skill and will to work with nature or they don't :confused:

Sent from my HTC Explorer using Tapatalk

grey-array

Feb 14, 2012
The Netherlands
That is an empty cup of nature loving I hear there swampy, a lot of people just enjoy the skill of it or think its therapeutic, but for me the main reason to make spoons is because I love to make things in this world that improve it and bring some beauty back, And IMO a titanium spork does not give the satisfactory feeling, nor the closeness to nature which I think on a wilderness trip is one of the most important things.
Plus why buy everything if you can make it, just as you want. I always say it like this, its good, but not yet good enough,
but perhaps that is not part of everyone career ;), but it made me a bit sad to see your comment, but hey not everyone needs perfection in their gear and in their knowledge to be able to enjoy the time outdoors, perhaps I'm just making it hard on myself ^^

Yours sincerely Ruud

Last edited:

Kepis

Jul 17, 2005
Sussex
They are all lovely.
Hard to decide which I like best. Cherry I think. Lovely grain.
Whose spoon knives do you use? I think I need to change the Mora for
something better.
Cheers , Simon

cheers Simon, i use a range of Spoon knives from Ben Orford, imo, some of the best on the market, but, i also use a couple of Mora spoon knives as well, the Mora's are fine, they just need a bit of work doing to the bevel to bring them up to par, there are a lot of very talented spoon carvers who use just the Mora's, Sean Hellman did a great video not that long ago on bringing a Mora spoon knife up to suitable standard for carving, a quick search on YouTube should find it for you.

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods

When you loose your piece of titanium on a trip into the bush, that is if you do get out and do Bushcraft stuff, you will realise what a wooden spoon is all about. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE