Reccommendations for a bivvy bag modification

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
I've got a nice goretex bivvy bag which doesn't get the use it could as it has no provision to keep out the bugs.

The bag has an L-shaped entrance zip. My idea would be to get someone to put in another zip alongside the first one and put an L-shaped mossi-net section attached to either side of the new zip. That way I can get in as normal and then adjust the ventilation by opening up the mossie net by different lengths.

Another bonus would be to put in some webbing loops around the hood so I could rig it from walking poles, branches etc.

This would be a bit of an involved job and also You might also need to re-tape some seams.

So, anyone done similar? any reccommendations for kit tailors?

Ta

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
I had a bivi bag without a zip and so put a zip in it.
This does, of course, compromise it's waterproof abilities.
However.
Since I wouldn't be using it in very wet conditions, and since I would also be using it with a tarp overhead I decided it was worth it for the sake of convenience. I put the zip in the 'top' of the bag (that is, up the middle of the chest rather than along the side). My rationalisation was that the bottom of the bag - that is, the area most likely to be in contact with damp ground - would still be fine.
I've never had problems with it.
Putting the zip in was a pain. Doing the length of the zip was easy enough - just zim along with the sewing machine. But the bit at the bottom of the zip was a pain. There wasn't much room to manouevre. It got even tighter when the second length of the zip was sewn. I finished the job off by hand-stitching. A local dry cleaners said they could put zips into 'sleeping bags' for £20. But I thought that was a waste of money for a job I could do myself and spend the money on wine gums instead.

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Was thinking that getting someone a little more used to handling sewing machines and with a ready supply of zips and mossi netting would be a little easier...

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE